View Diary: There is nothing more that can be said (191 comments)

•  Causes of death in the US between ages 1-14 (13+ / 0-)

Figures from the CDC

The leading cause of death in all age groups was unintentional accident.  In the youngest age groups the second leading cause of death is birth defects and cancer.

Homicide by all means ranks third in the 1-4 age group.  It is fourth in age group 5-14.  In the age group 10-14, suicide leads homicide in the causes of death.  Homicides and suicides include gunshot, overdose, hanging and cutting.  In other data sources, hanging and overdose seem to be the leading methods of suicide with GSW ranking third.

Here is the source data from the CDC:

A disproportionate number of those youngsters killed in unintentional accidents are motor vehicle accident victims.  The CDC has multiple vast data bases of epidemiological data on death, injury and illness.  All those data are present for study free of charge, but it is as dense in facts as a bank audit.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand. - Sun Tzu

by Otteray Scribe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 10:45:09 PM PST

•  good thing cars and driving (31+ / 0-)

are heavily regulated, with licenses and registrations, which need to be renewed regularly.

The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers

by Laurence Lewis on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:25:37 PM PST

•  I love the motor vehicle argument (16+ / 0-)

because it, better than any other, shows how gradually ramping up regulations has drastically cut accident and death rates.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 06:11:58 AM PST

•  I am not sure whether you meant that as irony (12+ / 0-)

because the internet does not do nuance well.  I detect a note of sarcasm there and if that was what is meant, I agree.

I was interviewing a man a few weeks ago at my office.  The conversation went like this:

Me:  Good morning, Mr. Smith.  How did you get to my office this morning? ( I knew because I had seen him drive up, but I have a form to fill out and needed to ask anyway)

Smith:  I drove myself.

Me: Do you have a current and valid driver's license?

Smith:  Nope.

Me: How long have you been driving without a license?

Smith:  Well, they took 'em back in 1986.  It might have been 1987, I don't rightly remember.

Me:  What did they take your license for?

Smith:  For DUI and driving without insurance.

Me:  You have been driving without a license for more than 25 years?

Smith:  Yep, I don't reckon I really need 'em.  I drive anyway and they don't do nothin' to me, 'cept put me in jail once in a while.

Me:  How many times have you been arrested since then?

Smith:  I don't rightly remember.  A lot.

Me:  What was the most time you spent in jail?

Smith:  I don't recall.  A week or so.  Once I got thirty days, but they let me go early 'cause the jail was full.

Mr:  Have you paid all your fines?

Smith:  Nope, I ain't paid none of them.  They won't give me my license back until I pay 'em, but I don't have no money to pay.

Me:  Do you have insurance on your truck? (he had driven up in an old beat-up pickup)

Smith:  Naw, I ain't got no money to pay insurance.

Me:  How many accidents have you had?

Smith:  I don't rightly recall.  Quite a few.  They don't never do nothing to me 'cept put me in jail for a few days.

Me:  If we added up all you owe in fines, how much would it be?

Smith:  I dunno.  Twenty or thirty thousand dollars, maybe.

Me:  Do you plan on paying any of that?

Smith: I ain't got no money to pay it.  I barely get by.  I just got enough money to buy food, my cigarettes and some beer when I can afford it.

Me: Do you use marijuana or other drugs?

Smith:  Naw, I don't use no illegal drugs.  I don't want to get in trouble for that.  Besides, I like beer and that is good enough for me.

Yep, regulations, taxes and mandatory insurance really do a lot to keep down the accident rate that kills people.  BTW, alcohol is the main cause of fatal accidents in our county.

by Otteray Scribe on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 06:27:02 AM PST

•  Yes, (11+ / 0-)

and the fact that "cars don't kill people, people driving them do," hasn't stopped hundreds of car safety laws from being passed and saving lives. If I never hear that ridiculous phrase again it would be too soon.  Of course now we've got "it takes a good man with a gun to stop a bad man with a gun."

Let's see, how does that one work with cars?  "It takes a good driver to stop a bad driver."  Nope, doesn't work there either.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 06:32:54 AM PST

•  I wish they were a lot more regulated (7+ / 0-)

especially talking on the phone and driving, and all forms of aggressive driving such as tailgating, exceeding the speed limit, etc.

I think that for such a dangerous activity, cars are vastly under regulated.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 09:02:11 AM PST

•  Technology is making progress on that (8+ / 0-)

Many cars have accident avoidance systems and as laws catch up with technology, more autonomous features will become commonplace and help to reduce the numbers of accidents due to human error and negligence.

I'm not suggesting people don't need to be more careful and laws don't need to be enforced more rigorously, just that technology will bring greater safety margins to the table.

BTW, here in China the government recently enacted a "Zero Tolerance" policy for running yellow lights (commonly worse here than the USA) and what followed was great public outcry by drivers getting "unfairly" ticketed for breaking the law, including complaints that auto drivers were getting unfairly targeted verses bicycle riders.

Seems it's human nature to complain about whatever regulations we don't like applied to ourselves and to always find a reason to convince ourselves we are being victimized.

But actually, cars are more regulated than guns in the USA, yet more numerous, and so it suggests tighter regulation of guns would work, be practical and not result in denial of qualified persons.

Can you imagine how much more dangerous the USA would be if cars were unregulated, unlicensed and untraceable to the owners? Or considered a basic human right without qualification?

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 09:45:12 AM PST

•  Speaking of which (6+ / 0-)

Smart gun technology could save lives....

Proponents of smart gun technology say that smart gun technology would reduce or eliminate accidental use and misuse of guns by children and teens, as well as reducing accidental discharges or the use of a gun against the owner if it is stolen or taken away.
            Smart gun technology could have, in fact, prevented Adam Lanza from using his mother's guns. It could all but eliminate gun trafficking and illegal gun use. Not to mention the number of children who would be saved from gun accidents.

Nothing is happening on this front right now, because in addition to the NRA, groups like the Violence Policy Center oppose it, for reasons that I really can't wrap my head around...more on that here.

You must work-we must all work-to make a world that is worthy of its children -Pablo Casals Please support TREE Climbers for victims of child sexual abuse and exploitation.

by SwedishJewfish on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:07:54 AM PST

•  I used to rent long term at the police owned (1+ / 0-)
            gerrilea

guest house. At the restaurant you have to sit where there's a seat. I noticed the plain clothes policeman was carrying, under his jacket, one of those tiny pistols they seem to like, not sure what it was, anyway I mentioned I wished anyone could have guns like in my country and he was adamant that was a bad idea. This in a town awash in heroin out of Burma.

Getting back to the subject one day a cadre told me a political joke about traffic lights. He said in most places red is stop, green is go, but in Guangdong red means go around.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:34:30 PM PST

•  The problem that many seem to forget is that (0+ / 0-)

gun restrictions alter the balance of power between people and the state.  Specifically, they alter the balance of power between law abiding people and the state.  The criminals will still have their guns, the police will still have their guns, the elites will still have their guns, but the 99% will be disarmed.

•  Come to California -- these are heavily (5+ / 0-)

regulated. We have the most aggressive and proactive area highway patrol in the country, and fines are $250 up (to over $1k) for all of these.

If I drive my thirty-ish minute commute to work, I generally see 3-6 cop cars along the way, sometimes more. On a rare, rare day, I might only see 1. They are actively sitting on the side of the highway or roads and pulling people over.

Just a side note that this varies widely from state-to-state. I've been all over the country and in other places, it's quite different.

Click the ♥ to join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news & views written from a black pov - everyone is welcome.

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:14:37 AM PST

•  I don't want to be a policy nerd in this diary (5+ / 0-)

I want to say something comforting but everything possible seems like it would be worse than useless.

•  African-American boys/teens are most prone (10+ / 0-)

to gun-related deaths. The numbers vary, but the figure is often said to be at least up to several orders of magnitude greater than that of non-AA children. Overall, the most significant demographic trend in gun homicides is race. Here it states that:

"Race and ethnicity continue to be among the most important predictors of homicide commission and victimization in the United States... Recent figures indicate that young African-American males have eight times the homicide victimization and offending rates of their white counterparts... Homicide remains the leading cause of death for black males between the ages of 15 and 24..."
      The article elucidates the reasons for this, involving things like socioeconomics, family stability, etc. (I would add non-responsiveness and racial bias from area police to any serious study as well).

Here, the issue is cited as ten times higher for black kids: http://www.childrensdefense.org/...

I think that Sandy Hook was a wake-up call for some white people who suddenly experienced an odd slippage into what it means to be black in America, where African-American children do routinely die at the hands of gunfire. Until we address that this is and has been an ongoing issue for our children, and that we are focused on the deaths of white children to the exclusion of the deaths of black children, then we will not be fully addressing this issue. And to do so, we'll need to hear from many more people in the African-American community where the issue of guns has been deeply discussed in many communities from the Civil Rights era to the present.

This is a tragedy. It always has been. It's just suddenly entered into the consciousness of a few more people. When will we all address this? To do that, we'll need to cross a few racial boundaries and barriers.

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:05:20 AM PST

•  Thank you. n/t (6+ / 0-)

"Compassion is not weakness, and concern for the unfortunate is not socialism." Hubert H. Humphrey

by Onomastic on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:57:45 AM PST

•  When I go into any diary on the topic (8+ / 0-)

of gun violence, I am often surprised to read hundreds of eloquent comments which still somehow don't address the issue of race -- which is the elephant in the room in the matter of gun-related deaths.

We need to have that talk.

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:01:23 AM PST

•  As they say in New Orleans, "True dat." (8+ / 0-)

I have seen a number of observations to the effect that if the missing or dead kid is a pretty white girl, Nancy Grace is all over it.

If it is a teenager of either gender who happens to be of African or Hispanic descent.......crickets.

MO, I have no answers to the question.  Just more questions.  Damn.

by Otteray Scribe on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:10:48 PM PST

•  S. Epatha Merkeson-who played Lt. Anita van Burenc (0+ / 0-)

on Law & Order hosts a new show called "Find Our Missing"
              on TV One specifically focuses on missing African Americans and Hispanics to specifically counteract the so called Nancy Grace syndrome. It fills a badly needed gap in focusing a spotlight on these cases.

(I say so called because Nancy Grace has extensively covered many cases of missing and/or murdered people of all races, she is most definitely an advocate for victim's and their families and knows what they are going through having lost her fiance' to murder and then going to law school and becoming a prosecutor. She gets a bad rap that she doesn't deserve, I don't always agree with her techniques, but I greatly respect and admire her and quite frankly, it is because of some of her techniques that these cases get so much media coverage, so in all likelihood, that's the method to her madness. She cares very much about these victims and getting justice for them and the missing person cases that don't get solved haunt her and she doesn't forget about them, she regularly airs updates on them.)

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity" Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr..

by mindara on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:40:42 PM PST

•  We've needed to have "that talk" for a (8+ / 0-)

long, long, time.

We both know why it hasn't happened.

by Onomastic on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:18:20 PM PST

•  And I will keep raising it every single time (8+ / 0-)

And hope others do as well. Maybe purposefully so? To draw attention to the asymmetry here.

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:24:51 PM PST

•  It feels rare to see use of data (5+ / 0-)

and statistical analysis when engaging with the pro-regulation community here.  Though quite frankly, I'm not sure the larger nationwide 2A proponent community is anymore sympathetic to the issues of racial and disadvantaged asymmetries when addressing the rights/control debate.

If there was anything that should unite progressives, though, it is on this exact point ... but alas, I do despair that it gets lost and ignored in the murky and uncomfortable mists of white privilege.

•  I've tried, from the bottom of my heart I have (3+ / 0-)
                mahakali overdrive, ancblu, mindara

tried.

I have a co-worker who's become a dear friend over the past 2 yrs and he's lost 4 close friends in 7 months and just about a month ago his younger brother was shot, here in Buffalo.

The tragedy goes unmentioned in the daily news, if spoken of, snips here and there.

The "Missing White Woman Syndrome". Our media is racist in so many ways and very few can see it.

Thank you for bringing this up, again.

by gerrilea on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 08:42:53 PM PST

•  In no way do I wish to deflect from (5+ / 0-)

mass murders like Sandy Hook. Like the woman in this diary, this had personal connections for me. I have generally followed the issue of mass murders for decades. Everyone needs a hobby, I suppose. I've read about all of them.

But the issue has since branched out to a question of gun violence in general, very clearly, as per most Progressives' positions. Good. I would then like to discuss gun violence as it actually is and also, as it has been, dating right back to Malcolm X's reasons for advocating arming African-Americans to the current tragedy amongst poor and non-white, inner-city youth.

We need to take a stand.

I have always been deeply committed to absolute civil rights and equality for all. I believe every person is equally important, and this includes all those who go unnoticed and unnamed in the media. Thus I would like to draw far, far more attention to gun violence in America myself. We've been silent on this matter for too long.

by mahakali overdrive on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 09:14:12 PM PST

•  So true MO (9+ / 0-)

And we need to address it immediately.

In the process of researching the diary I'm working on about the children killed by guns since Sandy Hook (a disproportionate number are black males-there is no denying that reality and it's chilling) I ran across this blog post looking for details about a black teenager killed named Kuantre Massey. They were scant, as they often are in stories about murdered black boys. But luckily I was able to find out more about him through social media (this is the best and sometimes ONLY source for pictures and information about these young men) and through this blog post, which gave me chills:

When the village fails the child: The death of Kuantrea Massey

It’s not supposed to happen here. I mean, that is why we move away from the city. So our boys will be safe. So gunshots become distant notions of things past. So my children don’t have to know what it’s like to mourn someone your own age. This is not Chicago. The babies are supposed to be safe here. Yet here we are, a community minus one. A family left incomplete. School friends left hurt and confused. It does not matter if you knew Kuantrae Massey personally, he is your son/brother/nephew/cousin/friend/student because we were supposed to be his village.

My daughter reminds me that we saw Kauntrae (“Trae”) at the grocery store the night before he died. I remember looking up him and the others in his group in much the same way I now have to look up when speaking to my own 16 year-old son. They grow so fast. This town is small so before she mentioned this, I knew my children were friends of the young victim even before his name was released.

The media has simply reported that Kuantrae was shot around 2:45 p.m. on January 21, 2012. 16 years old. Early reports from the coroner’s office indicate that someone else shot him. As details unfold, people have already taken to social media to speculate as to whether drugs were involved. What does it say about the state of the United States of America that young Black men and boys are always assumed to be drug dealers? Despite the fact that their young white male cohorts are statistically more likely to be involved with drugs? What does it mean that young Black men will always been painted as criminals before the details emerge? Kuantrae, an A and B student is described by his school administrators as a nice young man.

Discussions of gun control are geared towards protecting children that don’t look like Kuantrae. The assumption is that our babies don’t need to be protected. The reality is that boys who look like Kuantrae are the ones who need protecting the most. The President talked about keeping our kids safe “from Detroit to Newtown.” I just hope someone knows to add Bloomington IL to that list.

I’m writing this post because I cannot find the words for my children. I cannot find the words for myself. More than anything, I know there are no words for the parents and sibling of Kuantrae Massey.

by SwedishJewfish on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:16:21 AM PST

•  Racial disparities and under-privilege (7+ / 0-)

are critical factors rarely addressed in these debates -- although it should be central to any rational policy analysis.  If there is white/privileged "slippage" toward some empathy for victims of gun violence, it still feels extremely disconnected from the carnage inflicted in grossly disproportionate terms on certain minority and disadvantaged communities.

I wish this were discussed a great deal more as fundamental to the larger progressive agenda ... so thank you for raising the issue.

•  Increased restrictions on teen drivers are working (3+ / 0-)
      myboo, mindara, citylights

In my state, a teen with a new license cannot drive with any passengers but their parents—they can't even drive their siblings—for 6 months.  They cannot drive their friends for 1 year.  They have an 11pm curfew on driving until they are 18.  Exceptions are made for kids who have jobs that require them to work late.

These restrictions are working.  Accidents where teen drivers are directly involved in the accident went down over 28% in the first two years.  The numbers continue to improve.  Related offenses, like cell-phone usage, DWI, are also going down even when teens are following all other laws.

Many parents complain about the law, but it's results are hard to argue with.   If we can reduce deaths (of all kinds) from firearms by instituting restrictions with results like that, it would be incredible and really hard to argue.

The priest said, "Today's sermon is called 'Liars', but first I have a question. How many of you have read Chapter 66 in Matthew?" Nearly every hand went up. "You're just the group I need to speak to," the priest said. "There's no such chapter."

by Back In Blue on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 09:02:51 PM PST