View Diary: There is nothing more that can be said (191 comments)

•  They haven't, been used in the past. (6+ / 0-)

California briefly tried to remove some rifles, years ago.

No guns were siezed, some were handed in and the whole program was abandoned.

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
    but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 06:09:27 AM PST

•  They have, been used in the past. (2+ / 0-)
      Tom Seaview, noway2

Not only did registration lead to a failed attempt at confiscation in Cali, but it also lead to the successful confiscations in  Australia and GB.

Why do you think that an attempt at confiscation, made possible by registration refutes the idea that registration leads to confiscation?

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:23:02 AM PST

•  Now we are afraid that (6+ / 0-)

the UK or Australian governments will confiscate our guns?

I hope that the quality of debate will improve,
        but I fear we will remain Democrats.

Who is twigg?

by twigg on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:54:54 PM PST

•  Because it didn't work (4+ / 0-)

And it hasn't been tried since. Because it won't work, and politicians know this. A plurality of gun owners, when asked, have stated that they would not comply with any law requiring them to turn in their gun(s). Because there are 30 million guns in this country. Because we are facing long odds of even getting something as simple as the AWB passed, even after an assault weapon was used to massacre 20 babies and 6 adults right before Christmas. Because it would be political suicide to even try such a thing.

As I'm sure you know, Australia and the U.K. never held that gun ownership was a fundamental right, and it was not common to own them. There were comparatively few guns to confiscate. And IIRC, at least in Australia, they did not actively confiscate, they had a compulsory buy-back scheme. Not everyone complied, and I haven't read anything that shows these people were persecuted for that. In any case, the point still stands that the UK and Oz are very different than the U.S.

The argument you are trying to make is frankly outside the realm of possibility, and I don't think it is made in good faith. I think this is an example of trying to confuse people and divert attention away from the real issues we face. If you are against something as innocuous as registration, which does nothing to impede on your 2nd amendment rights, I don't think it is even worth engaging with you on this topic.

By the way-did you even read the diary? Have you read the blog posts? Do you have any comment on that, and do you care to discuss it, or are you just here to make the same arguments you make in every diary concerning gun control? Because if it is the latter, I would prefer that you not hijack this diary.

You must work-we must all work-to make a world that is worthy of its children -Pablo Casals Please support TREE Climbers for victims of child sexual abuse and exploitation.

by SwedishJewfish on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 01:44:01 PM PST

•  I specifically responded to a specific post. (1+ / 0-)
          noway2

Which is why I used the 'reply' button.
          If it is not a discussion you care to respond to, I suggest you refrain from the 'reply' button.

Back to the specific topic being discussed....Although it is true that registration won't happen, the question being discussed was whether or not registration leads to confiscation.
          It does. Demonstrably.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 09:37:16 PM PST

•  It's my diary bub (3+ / 0-)
            ChuckInReno, citylights, gramofsam1

And I want it to remain civil, and work towards progress. I have seen enough of your interactions to know that you aren't interested in that, and the only reason you come into diaries like this is to disrupt and derail.

If you have something new and worthwhile to add to the discussion, by all means.  But if you are just going to repeat the same tired NRA talking points that you use in every diary, I am going to ignore you, and suggest that others here do the same.

by SwedishJewfish on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:15:09 PM PST

•  Lets also quote the famous NY Governor (1+ / 0-)
        FrankRose

"confiscation could be an option"

As the old saying goes, don't piss on my head and tell me it is raining.

• Recommended (147)
  • Education (18)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Racism (17)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Politics (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site