Skip to main content

View Diary: Poll shows gun-control advocates need to educate Americans on what the NRA actually supports (67 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  A few Points... (3+ / 0-)

    1.  Why should it surprise anybody that 46% of respondents identify with the NRA more than Obama?  Lest we forget, Romney got about 49% of the vote.  And,...this same poll shows only 56% support for some of Obama's measures - that leaves at least 44% who oppose.

    2.  The NRA works locally.  They always have.  The state reps in my area of western PA are scared to death of the NRA.  They recently cost a 20-year state rep from my distric his seat in 2010 (and gun control wasn't even a front and center issue nationally in 2010).  Gun control is a loser issue because it's not a national issue, and never will be.  A lot of that 56% who support those bans are probably from urban blue areas in blue states.  The Dem coalition is broad.  My guess is that a lot of the gun control supporters in these national polls are coastal urban elites who have never owned or shot a gun, and look down with secret disdain on the lunch pale Dems in "flyover" states.  This poll doesn't reflect the shear number of red districts that oppose gun control.

    This is all a waste of electrons anyway.  Have you been following the recent rhetoric?  It looks like Harry Reid won't even try to bring these things to a vote in the Senate (other than background checks, and even that looks like it won't pass now).  And, that is because there aren't 50 Dems, not because of republicans filibuster threats.  If Reid is too scared to make Dems take a stand on gun control this close to Sandy Hook, what chance does it have,...ever?

    I'll be surprised if anything comes to a vote at all.  And, of course, if by a miracle something does pass the Senate, it will be DOA in the House, anyway.

    I can't believe we are debating gun control in 2013.  The GOP won that debate, at least for the forseeable future, and reopening this wound will hurt bad in 2014.  This is as dumb as the GOP debating birth control 2012.

    •  Dude, I'm really sorry (4+ / 0-)
      Lest we forget, Romney got about 49% of the vote.
      I think most people here already know that Romney scored an ironic 47% of the vote.
      And,...this same poll shows only 56% support for some of Obama's measures - that leaves at least 44% who oppose.
      No, actually, those numbers have to add up to 100, that's how percentages work. And if you're starting with 56% support, you're not going to get more than 44% in opposition.
      The NRA works locally.  They always have.
      And that's what we're doing right now. There are places where the NRA endorsement is a liability, and we can find them and make change.
      It looks like Harry Reid won't even try to bring these things to a vote in the Senate (other than background checks, and even that looks like it won't pass now).
      I've been following Harry Reid's activities; they don't seem to match up with anything you said.

      Anyway, nice FUD comment. Shame it's so obvious.

      “Now, I can imagine the shocking headlines you’ll print tomorrow morning: 'More guns,' you’ll claim, 'are the NRA’s answer to everything!'" -- Wayne LaPierre

      by tytalus on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:28:09 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  1. "This same polls shows only 56%... (8+ / 0-)

      ...support for some of Obama's measures - that leaves at least 44% who oppose."

      If you read the poll, you'll see that only 39% and 40% oppose these measures, not "at least" 44%.

      Did you notice that I wrote:

      But, there's a caveat. National polling papers over the fact that congressional elections are by districts, and in some suburban districts Democratic politicians may still have reason to be scared of the NRA if they—and we who support more gun restrictions—don't repeatedly make clear exactly how extremist and out of step with the majority the gun lobby is.
      What loses us the gun "debate" is conceding the field to the propagandists of the NRA and other groups.

      As for the background check not having a chance of passing the Senate? Based on what evidence? Even conservative Democrat Joe Manchin backs it, and he's an NRA member.

      Don't tell me what you believe, show me what you do and I will tell you what you believe.

      by Meteor Blades on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:30:55 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  um (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      tytalus
      My guess is that a lot of the gun control supporters in these national polls are coastal urban elites who have never owned or shot a gun, and look down with secret disdain on the lunch pale Dems in "flyover" states.  This poll doesn't reflect the shear number of red districts that oppose gun control.
      No, I look down on people who put their right to firearms above the right to life of others.

      I think such people have serious moral defects and an inability to reason.

      Doesn't matter where they live, how they live or what they are smoking, that's what I think about them.

      Just my opinion and a reflection of my own values, of course.

      And obviously,  I could be totally wrong; maybe guns are more important than children and other living things.

      What about my Daughter's future?

      by koNko on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:05:09 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

      •  Harry Reid (0+ / 0-)

        Isn't Harry Reid a gun enthtusiast?

        •  I don't know (0+ / 0-)

          But regardless, isn't he for strengthening regulations? If I'm wrong, please correct me.

          I'm talking about the people who put the "right" to posses firearms on equal footing with the right to life.

          Who justify the murders of kids like Noah as acceptable collateral damage to living in a "free society", or claim it's the people who are dangerous, not the guns.

          Such beliefs are morally deficient, delusional and completely fucked-up.

          Those people need help, and society needs protection against them because they value guns more than humans.

          There is a reasonable argument to lock such people up because they love the weapons more than the kids.

          What about my Daughter's future?

          by koNko on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 08:53:38 PM PST

          [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site