View Diary: Chris Christie placed angry call to doctor who expressed concern about his weight (360 comments)

•  The doctor was a professional abusing her (12+ / 0-)

her status.  Whatever she may know about actuarial tables, she doesn't know about Christie's health or his genes.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 08:00:50 AM PST

•  And Christie is a politician (9+ / 0-)

abusing his status.  I agree with what the doctor said.  However, I can appreciate the criticism she received from the press and here.

Christie should have left it that.  But no. He let his rage and anger get the best of him.

The man is fat. He needs to lose weight. And if he doesn't then, yes, it may kill him. (btw due to full disclosure I need to lose some weight also)

And he also needs to start controlling his rage. It isn't productive.  And it amazes me that he was all upset because his child heard that he could die because of this weight.  What about Christie's behavior?  Is that the kind of behavior a child should be taught? And see?

This man's attitude is dangerous to himself and his children.

•  I'm sure there's all sorts of things you need to (2+ / 0-)
        rivercard, Jojos Mojo

do for your health as well.

But you know what?

It's none of my damned business.

And, come to think of it, what's with the President sneaking out for cigarettes or some of those greasy burgers and all that he likes?

Last I looked, African-American men had an elevated propensity for strokes.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 08:34:25 AM PST

•  Breaking News: Doctor Abuses Her Professional (2+ / 0-)
      Errol, helpImdrowning

Status. Tells fat guy he's fat and that's not good. Yeah, I see what you mean.

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. Thomas Jefferson

by Sam Sara on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 08:37:05 AM PST

•  Tut tut on your misrepresentation. (1+ / 0-)
        JazzQuipster

What she said was "As a doctor, I believe there's a good chance that he's going to drop dead."

Very different thing.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 08:43:11 AM PST

•  Tut, tut. Oh no I didn't... (1+ / 0-)
          helpImdrowning

"The doctor was a professional abusing her status..."

*(Word order not withstanding)

And...how was what I wrote different from she said, word selection not withstanding? And...he could very well drop dead at any moment. As for his health, it is as plain as his displacement. Genetics actually favor the lean and slightly un-sated. There really isn't a genetic advantage in being a fat primate.

by Sam Sara on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:00:29 AM PST

•  I admire your bold insincerity. (2+ / 0-)
            rivercard, JazzQuipster

You know damned well the difference between

"He's fat"

and

"his weight would lead to a heart attack or stroke in office",

especially coming from somebody who is not merely a doctor, but a former White House physician.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:21:17 AM PST

•  It's like a sauna in here... (2+ / 0-)
              dinotrac, helpImdrowning

Meh.

by Sam Sara on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:27:10 AM PST

•  BTW -- I am not disputing that it is better to be (2+ / 0-)
                Sam Sara, kareylou

thin and healthy than to be fat and healthy.

It's why I get back on the bicycle, rejigger my eating, etc in a regular battle against my weight -- which once went north of 300lb.

A 165 lb me would definitely be preferable in every way that I can imagine to the current me.

But I know, thanks to some pretty good genes, underlying cardio-vascular fitness, etc, that I'm less likely to suffer a stroke or an aneurism than lots of thin guys my age, especially those that smoke.

I'm certainly less likely to have a sky-diving accident, mortocycle accident, alcohol or other drug overdose, etc. than lots of thin folk.

The problem with being fat is that it's easy to see compared to lots of other problems.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:32:49 AM PST

•  I too have battled the butter basted beast... (2+ / 0-)
                  dinotrac, helpImdrowning

Having gone most of my life at >180 and at one point pushing 265. Still working at it, now at 205. That put some progress in this progressive. Good luck with your weighty endeavor. Good health to all...

by Sam Sara on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:41:26 AM PST

•  The truth sometimes hurts. I see no problem with (0+ / 0-)

a qualified physician pointing out the fact someone as obese as Christie is might suffer a heart attack or stroke in office.  It is simple medical fact.  As is the fact that he is obese.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy -7.8., -6.6

by helpImdrowning on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 03:07:53 PM PST

•  Somebody as think as Obama might also suffer (0+ / 0-)

a heart attack or stroke in office -- especially when you consider his smoking history, love of greasy food, and the fact that he is African-Americans.

Not only are African Americans twice as likely to suffer a stroke as caucasions, but are far more likely to be disabled by the strokes they suffer.

Sometimes the truth does hurt, but it would be equally unethical for a doctor to express concern about President Obama's (as opposed to some randomly selected African American male) ability to serve out his term becasue of his racial background.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 04:36:15 PM PST

•  If a doctor said Obama could suffer a heart attack (0+ / 0-)

or stroke and die because of his smoking, I would have no issue with that.  Facts are facts.

by helpImdrowning on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:40:27 PM PST

•  How about because he is an African-American Male? (0+ / 0-)

Doubles the chances of a stroke over Caucasian men.
                    That's about the same increase attributed to a BMI over 30.

Does that mean that Chris Christie and Barack Obama are equally likely to have a stroke?

Not at all.
                    You can't draw conclusions about an individual from population statistics.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 06:13:29 AM PST

•  LG had that conversation with MTM (0+ / 0-)