View Diary: America has never had a Background Check System for Gun Purchases (184 comments)

•  Twigg I applaud your intent but I think our (3+ / 0-)
    oldpunk, KVoimakas, PavePusher

existing NICS is too broken to handle it.

I can go online and get all my SS beneficiary information or borrow tens of thousands of dollars almost instantly.

Maybe a free background check that anyone can do on themselves so that anyone wanting to make a gift or a sale can go to any notary public and do the same thing for a couple of dollars. Banks and car dealers often notarize for free. It wouldn't cost the user much or inconvenience unnecessarily. You want to sell somone a gun, they come over, enter their info on your computer, you print it out, keep it for a couple years, and you're good to go. You checked to make sure they aren't in the system.

It would cut down on illegal sales maybe, or just drive up the price.

While we're at it maybe we could figure a route to restore gun and voting type rights to people who pose no danger to society. I also hate hearing stories about people failing the background check because of an unpaid speeding ticket.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 06:09:52 AM PST

•  You want to shoot something? (2+ / 0-)
      glorificus, twigg

Pay your damned speeding ticket.  Next...

"We refuse to fight in a war started by men who refused to fight in a war." -freewayblogger

by Bisbonian on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 06:23:42 AM PST

•  excuse me (3+ / 0-)
        oldpunk, PavePusher, theatre goon

I really have to say your tone is very angry and rude. How about if I say your words are FUCKING RUDE!!! See how it comes out? Now I never said I wanted to shoot something or that I had a speeding ticket, yet not only to I get a FUCKING RUDE GOD DAMBED reply but Twigg recs it. I can only assume he appreciates FUCKING RUDE replies on is posts. I'll bear that in mind and try to remember not to waste time posting comments in the future.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 09:16:46 AM PST

•  Dude... (0+ / 0-)

"You" was generic, as in "you want to sell someone a gun...you print it out...you're good to go..."  More specifically, it relates to the "people failing a background check because of an unpaid speeding ticket."  If the only obstacle to them passing a background check is an unpaid ticket, that ought to be just one more good reason for them to pay it.

Sorry, it's not about you.

by Bisbonian on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 06:39:20 AM PST

•  o_0 (1+ / 0-)
        theatre goon

Republicans cause more damage than guns ever will. Share Our Wealth

by KVoimakas on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 07:22:12 PM PST

•  Because "speeding ticket" trumps.... (2+ / 0-)
        KVoimakas, theatre goon

Constitutional Rights?

Screw that.

•  Because a speeding ticket is a pretty small (0+ / 0-)

Responsibilty compared to owning a gun.  If you can't take care of that....

by Bisbonian on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 06:40:17 AM PST

•  It's an unrelated responsibility (0+ / 0-)

You might as well say "If you can't get into work on time, then you're not responsible and thus can't be trusted to drive a car!"

Same level of glib nonsense.