Skip to main content

View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Eighth Anniversary Edition (281 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Congratulations. (7+ / 0-)

    The choice of talking about failures in gardening as you've done for the anniversary edition is one of the main reasons that this series really impressed me from the first readings. You keep it real.  Not of course with just the failures, but the whole approach to gardening and the sharing with one another and the readers.

    I've experienced most of the problems above, but the greatest and on-going is with the climate change and the current exceptional drought and summer temperatures, year round temperature problems, but especially the direct summer damage.  I've been adjusting for about a decade now, but the last couple of years and with the NOAA predictions for this year, I'm in limbo about how much more money and time its healthy for me to invest in relation to the probability of increased failures and sub-optimal results.

    If the science about climate change is correct, and I've seen no credible refutations, then I think it's likely climate change and the joys of gardening, for us who truly love the hobby, is going to be a dilemma.

    But what I initially intended to emphasize is how much I enjoy this particular series and the writers and posters.  It's gardening with personality.  Both excellent.

    More: Some men think the Earth is round, others think it flat; it is a matter capable of question. But if it is flat, will the King's command make it round? And if it is round, will the King's command flatten it?

    by blueoasis on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 05:07:30 PM PST

    •  I am actively gardening now (7+ / 0-)

      because in ten years I may not be able to at my current level in this region. There are already dead trees everywhere from the drought and at the rate we're going with little to no rain it's only going to get worse. Much worse.

      I dread the day we go to stage 3 water restrictions.


      Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

      by jayden on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 06:08:20 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

      •  The water restrictions are one of the main (6+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:
        jayden, welso, Frankenoid, hazey, mikidee, estreya

        reasons I think it will become a necessity to make myself cut back on what I plant this next year and make myself let a few areas go. I think it's actually worse here than the Austin area with the degree of drought.  I'm probably a little more than 500 miles north and a little west of you and it shouldn't be worse, especially with the summer heat and drought, but for whatever reasons, it is here.  That and so many other anomalies bring home the truth of the phrase "weather weirding."

        This is the first time I recall that in milder drought years than this that we haven't had rationing.  It may be that so many people have given up with gardening or the annual extras locally.  My only friends who were still gardening last year just gave up by mid-summer.

        With me it may be more of a preventative mental health issue in addiction to everything else.  Except for GLBT progress, there's a lot of failure in government and society already to contend with.  I probably shouldn't give the abundant crop of wingnuts any ammunition to aim at the
        crazy liberal, socialist gardener screaming and shaking his fists at the clouds.  Lol.

        More: Some men think the Earth is round, others think it flat; it is a matter capable of question. But if it is flat, will the King's command make it round? And if it is round, will the King's command flatten it?

        by blueoasis on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 07:10:38 PM PST

        [ Parent ]

      •  What kind of (6+ / 0-)

        restrictions happen under stage 3?

        Did you get any rain yesterday?  When I watched our weather forecast last evening, they were talking about a storm coming, and it looked on the map as though it was coming from your area and that it was presently raining there.  

        We are so blessed here with our weather.  We don't get extremes of anything.  We do get everything, but not at maximum intensity.  Lake Erie really does temper a lot of weather for us.  Of course, it also generates a bit too, in the form of humidity in the summer and lake effect snow in winter.

        I really do hope your summer will turn out being a pleasant surprise and bring you moderate temps and decent rain!!

        •  Rain? (4+ / 0-)
          Recommended by:
          Frankenoid, estreya, welso, blueoasis

          It was a beautiful day. There was absolutely no indication that it might rain. There is a slight chance (40%) heading into the week but anymore unless the chances are 60% or above it probably won't rain.

          afaik stage 3 restrictions mean no sprinklers at all. Lawns cannot be watered. Lots more restrictions on car washes, pools, fountains, etc.  I've always done a lot of hand-watering but in the heat of summer I really count on having the one day a week to run sprinklers within the limited hours.


          Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

          by jayden on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 07:41:08 AM PST

          [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site