View Diary: Pope Benedict is stepping down (132 comments)

•  Whoa (1+ / 0-)
    TerryDarc

Hadn't even thought about the power struggle that will now ensue between the Cardinals and the still living Pope who has presided over the exodus of millions of Catholics away from the church, one of the biggest scandals and coverups in the last 2 centuries and the corruption in the Vatican (though that's probably been going on for centuries too).
    Time to get the popcorn!

“We are not a nation that says ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ We are a nation that says ‘out of many, we are one.’” -Barack Obama

by skohayes on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 06:49:40 AM PST

•  What DO you do with a 'retired' Pope? (2+ / 0-)
      skohayes, royce

Does he become Pope Emeritus?

When atlatls are outlawed, only outlaws will have atlatls.

by wheeldog on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 06:53:25 AM PST

•  He should spend the rest of his days (2+ / 0-)
        TerryDarc, happymisanthropy

locked in a monk's cell, contemplating his tenure as pope, and the failure to address the huge problems in the Vatican and the church.
        A little heaven on earth for a prior pope, I'd imagine.

by skohayes on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 07:07:21 AM PST

•  He's Probably Too Old To Get Laid (0+ / 0-)

And no altar boy joke, either...

Time is an enormous, long river, and I’m standing in it, just as you’re standing in it. My elders are the tributaries, and everything they thought and every struggle they went through & everything they gave their lives to flows down to me-Utah Phillips

by TerryDarc on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 08:54:23 AM PST

•  Well, he doesn't go out to stud. (0+ / 0-)

"Just because you win the fight, don't mean you're right," - Funkadelic

by AlyoshaKaramazov on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 08:45:40 AM PST

•  I'm thinking he gets a gig with Fox News (0+ / 0-)

as a "contributor". Or as a paid spokesperson for Kangol Hats (they apparently flipped over that red saturno he wore occasionally).

"I don’t wear no Stetson, but I’m willin’ to bet, son, that I’m a bigger Texan than you are".- Robert Earl Keen

by Kellybee on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 09:45:44 AM PST

•  That's one of the reasons so few 'retire'. n/t (0+ / 0-)

The priest said, "Today's sermon is called 'Liars', but first I have a question. How many of you have read Chapter 66 in Matthew?" Nearly every hand went up. "You're just the group I need to speak to," the priest said. "There's no such chapter."

by Back In Blue on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 10:33:14 AM PST