View Diary: Some House Republicans appear ready to back universal background checks for gun purchases (200 comments)

•  BFD (1+ / 0-)
    43north
    In Colorado, after it was discovered some of the weapons used in the Columbine school massacre in 1999 had been obtained from a private individual at a gun show, the state extended background checks to all gun sales in 2000. Since then, according to Rhonda Fields, a Democratic representative in the Colorado legislature, the results have been dramatic. Among all states in 2000, Colorado was the 17th-largest source of guns found at crime scenes. A year later, it had fallen to 27th. By 2009 it ranked 32nd, Fields said.
    What a load of BS. I live in Aurora,  three of my neighbors were shot and one of them, a little girl , fatally. 32nd place, 1st place, it made no difference. Aurora still happened.

This is pure bullshit. It won't accomplish a damned thing. The only thing that will yield results is a full fledged gun buyback program, like they did in Australia. Anything less is weak tea BS, just pissing in the wind. I'm really sick of pols and opportunists presenting this lipsticked pig as if it were an accomplishment. It does nothing but provide political cover for self righteous assholes who want to pat themselves on the back and pretend they did something.

"crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government" -Thomas Jefferson

by Phil In Denver on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 09:59:14 AM PST

•  Well I'd certainly have to agree that only a (4+ / 0-)
      high uintas, elwior, KVoimakas, gerrilea

universal buyback program would begin to cut down on the possibility of another mass shooting, maybe accompanied with confiscation. Even that wouldn't guarantee that someone wouldn't get ahold of guns or some other method of doing mass murder. Confiscating 300,000,000 guns could be problematic though. Might even have legal problems.

There are some bad people in the world, and sometimes they do horrific things. I don't think there is any way to stop that.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 10:28:23 AM PST

•  That is the most egregious of cop-outs (1+ / 0-)
        a2nite

There are bad people in the world so let's do nothing of substance about it. Australia cut their gun death to near zero after their gun buyback program.

Maybe near zero isn't enough for you, frankly it's not enough for me, but it's a damn site better than 30,000 per year.

by Phil In Denver on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 11:51:21 AM PST

•  If you think I said "lets do nothing of substance" (0+ / 0-)

I believe you seriously misunderstood what I said. Maybe a re read.

30,000 what per year? There aren't that many homicides let alone mass shootings.

Maybe you should read some more and have a think.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 04:24:14 AM PST

•  Gotta make sure that the guns that are purchased (1+ / 0-)
      a2nite

aren't then sold to the public.  The NRA and their friends are trying to make that happen in Arizona where a private company financed a gun buy-back with a police department and the NRA tried to claim that property obtained by the police by law had to be sold for maximum value (i.e. it couldn't be rendered inoperable or just melted down for scrap metal and plastic).  I think that's still being worked out over there.

•  BUT NO ONE IS TRYING TO TAKE OUR GUNNZZZZ (1+ / 0-)
      high uintas

BOB JOHNSONNNN!!!!!

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 05:35:42 PM PST

•  A mandatory gun buyback program ... (3+ / 0-)
      exlrrp, high uintas, KVoimakas

...will not pass Congress any time soon.

by Meteor Blades on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 05:40:45 PM PST