View Diary: BREAKING NEWS: How Numb We've Become (202 comments)

•  I have never had to encounter that scenario (4+ / 0-)

but am aware of several courtroom massacres.  Because of those incidents, most courthouse security has been beefed up dramatically.  At two local courthouses, they do not even allow cell phones past the security check point.  Also have the metal detectors set so sensitive that an average belt buckle will set them off.  Sounds as if there was a major breach of security.

Based on what I have learned over the years, domestic and child custody cases are the ones where such violence is likely. Judges and lawyers are also among targets from time to time.  Give me a normal murder trial any day to a custody case.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand. - Sun Tzu

by Otteray Scribe on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 06:07:17 PM PST

•  The Wilmington courthouse does both (4+ / 0-)

No phones allowed (but laptops are OK... go figure), and my belt buckle sets off the detector.

I once recounted to my attorney, whose office is a few blocks north of the crime scene on King Street, how I almost forgot to take my gun off before leaving my car at the courthouse one day; he paled and said exactly six words:
      "One... hundred... thousand... dollars... CASH... bail."

Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before...

by Tom Seaview on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 06:18:12 PM PST

•  I hate custody cases. (4+ / 0-)

I know a number of lawyers who specialize in custody cases.  Most have tight security at their offices.  More than one of them has had a Molotov cocktail thrown through the front window in the middle of the night.  I know for a fact that the smell of burned carpet CANNOT be gotten out of a building.  There is a lawyer in Mississippi who consulted several of those cleanup companies with no success. He finally had to move his office to a new building.  He even had to get rid of the furniture in the waiting room because the smell had permeated everything.

by Otteray Scribe on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 06:24:47 PM PST

•  Never been in one, thank Dad (5+ / 0-)

My late father gave me a speech when I was about 13:

"Son, when I was your age, all I could think about was getting a girl in the sack... but it was 1930, so it didn't happen.
          It will happen for you. Instead of telling you NOT to (you wouldn't listen), I am going to strongly urge you not to get a girl pregnant..."
          This continued with horror stories: the guy who pays half his salary in child support, the guy whose wife hates him -- and it's mutual -- but they stay together 'for the children,' the guy who works at Sears because he had to drop out of college to support a family, and a few others. He concluded with a short but accurate description of the various forms of birth control available right before Nixon resigned, and gave me a box of Trojans.

So... the same man who taught me how to handle a rifle safely, also taught me how to avoid 'accidents' with my gun.

Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before...

by Tom Seaview on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 06:48:26 PM PST

•  My "new" metal knee... (3+ / 0-)

... sets off the detector.

I've had titanium rods and screws and wires in my lumbar back since 2000, so I always make sure that I wear very little metal.  Small post earrings only, watch with a leather wristband, older sports bra with very little hooks, shoes without the metal arch.  Usually that was not enough to set off the mag.

However, the last time I had to go through the screening area was after I had my right knee replaced, and beep, beep, beep..., so I told the fellow about the knee, said I had a card in my wallet about it (when I got that in the mail from my ortho surgeon I was surprised because I didn't think metal inside the body would set those mags off).  The officer did the hand wand on both my knee and back and the rest of my body, and only the places where I have metal body parts went off.

I should imagine after I have the left knee replaced I'll beep every mag for the rest of my life.  Ick.

by NonnyO on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 07:16:20 PM PST

•  I have a five inch titanium screw (5+ / 0-)

in my left foot that holds it together.  That does not always set off the alarm because it is so close to the floor....at least that is what one security checkpoint guard told me.  I always tell them anyway to avoid any misunderstandings. One TSA guard who did a wand on my foot asked me what happened to my foot, and it turned out we used the same orthopedist.

by Otteray Scribe on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 07:28:17 PM PST