View Diary: "Nemo": In Defense of the Names (138 comments)

•  Nemo? #%^!!& TWC Fail. Need better names. (20+ / 0-)

It's pretty easy to see from the media response that naming is going to stick. Despite what the Dude says.

We need a better process to determine which storms to name and we need better names.

TWC has lost its right to name by choosing such shitty names and having such a pathetic process.

Nicely done.

And to all the no respond to tip jar defenders:

I don't care if you HR me.

look for my eSci diary series Thursday evening.

by FishOutofWater on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 10:17:34 AM PST

•  I like that people respond to the tipjar (9+ / 0-)

I encourage people do so all the time.

relax relate release

by terrypinder on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 10:44:03 AM PST

•  and yes, TWC sucks (6+ / 0-)

no one can disagree with that, even if they have the great Bryan Norcross now.

relax relate release

by terrypinder on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 11:35:35 AM PST

•  TWC does not suck! They have some very good (0+ / 0-)

scientists there who care about what they show the public.  Do they have way too much other programming?  Of course they do, but that is how they can afford to have good scientists and other people who help produce the show.  They have to get money some way.  Would you rather see 5 minutes of ads?

•  I agree. If they want to name them fine, whatever (16+ / 0-)

But choose some better names. Every time I saw Nemo mentioned on blogs or social media, it was a joke in reference to Finding Nemo. If they want us to take serious storms seriously, they need to stop naming them after cartoon characters.

I just can't wait for Blizzard Beavis and Superstorm Butthead.

"How come when it’s us, it’s an abortion, and when it’s a chicken, it’s an omelette?" - George Carlin

by yg17 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 12:49:57 PM PST

•  This^^^^^ (4+ / 0-)
        elfling, Onomastic, stormicats, BYw

For God's sake, better names!  I don't much care if they pick them from literature, but they had to know that most people were going to associate Nemo with the Disney character more than Captain Nemo of the Jules Verne books.

And "Gandolf", deliberately misspelled by one letter?  Umm, yeah, no thinly veiled effort to circumvent copyright there.

But yeah, some real, at least slightly defensible criteria for the naming threshold would be nice.

I thought naming winter storms was pretty stupid initially, but I can see a benefit to it, if only to help make people more aware of an incoming storm.  But picking stupid names isn't going to help people take them seriously.

•  Actually (0+ / 0-)

"Gandolf" spelled with the "o" was a character in an earlier novel, William Morris's The Well at the World's End (1896), So this wouldn't avoid copyright issues.

My guess is that it was an accidental misspelling, not a deliberate one. As an editor, I see these kinds of mistakes all the time.

•  Sorry I see naming every big storm (2+ / 0-)
          tommymet, Paper Cup

as a continuation of the juvenile-ation of America, akin to the fact that there are pretty, blinking "xmas lights" for every holiday now: Easter lights, Halloween lights, Memorial day lights (which I guess you can leave up for Fourth of July), etc., etc.

A furtherance of the way that most products for men are sold the exact same way that they sell products for little boys. The way that cars and trucks are starting to resemble Tonka toys for tots. It used to be that toys for little children were "cartoon-ized" mostly to make the surfaces easy to grip and make them friendlier-looking. Now adult vehicles have begun to resemble the cartoon toys designed to entice children. Is the fact that children are being sold adult-style "sexy" clothes a reflection of the sexualization of children, or the infantilization of adults?

It's a storm. It doesn't need a name. The fact that so many Americans can't focus on something unless it is "marketed" to them, and made cute and toy-like, is pathetic.

America has become a nation of grown-up infants. No wonder we can no longer govern ourselves. We aren't adults.

•  so hurricanes should cease being named? (1+ / 0-)
            BYw

relax relate release

by terrypinder on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 06:31:19 AM PST

•  Hurricanes are a special case (0+ / 0-)

Tropical cyclones (hurricanes and typhoons) are storms that develop naturally out of a specific weather phenomenon. They develop sequentially over a known period of time and evolve and devolve in a predictable manner (though their path and strength are not specifically predictable). Since we know there will be 'X' number of hurricanes every hurricane season, we have a choice of calling them one, two, three, etc. or naming them alphabetically. It's a question of simple bookkeeping.

Winter storms, however, are unpredictable. Some years we get a nor'easter, some not. Naming them serves no practical purpose beyond marketing fear and sensationalism. And starting the naming sequence at 'N' for Nemo makes the practice even more juvenile and stupid.

This is also why we don't name tornadoes, earthquakes, blizzards that don't originate in the north atlantic, tsunamis, and every other dangerous natural phenomenon.

So, yeah, I maintain my original assertion, naming this storm Nemo was an example of the juvenile-ization of America. As a nation we are becoming so stupid and childlike we are easily led by marketers and too many of us eagerly embrace our degradation into feckless adult-children.

•  it's hard for it to be "juvenile-zation (0+ / 0-)

unless Europe is also "juvenile."

as stated in the diary, they've named winter storms for 60 years, and the names are widely used in both popular media and the scientific community.

I think you're a bit wrong.

relax relate release

by terrypinder on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 05:03:54 AM PST

•  Nemo is *my* name (0+ / 0-)

or rather it was my sock's name.  Sha Nemo was my alter ego many years ago.  It was mute until after I gave a GBCW speech and resigned from an e-group. Sha Nemo spoke up then to shame them all for their scandalous treatment of me.  Only yahoo groups had taken over e-groups and unbeknownst to me was including RL names in the headers of posts. That's when I became houyhnhnm and I have never been tempted to set up sock again.  I learned my lesson.

Light is seen through a small hole.

by houyhnhnm on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 06:38:46 PM PST

•  Nemo begs to be mocked (1+ / 0-)
      Paper Cup

unfortunately there aren't any appropriate clips on YouTube of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

the purpose of the second amendment is to promote a well-regulated militia, in the same sense that the purpose of the first amendment is to promote a well-informed electorate.

by happymisanthropy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 10:21:46 PM PST

•  What's wrong with Nemo? (0+ / 0-)

Words have meanings other than those attached by Disney.

"Nemo" is actually a smart and funny dig at the "Winter storms don't have names" people.

"Let’s just move on, treat everybody with firmness, fairness, dignity, compassion and respect. Let’s be Marines." - Sgt. Maj Michael Barrett on DADT repeal

by kyril on Tue Feb 12, 2013 at 06:13:59 AM PST