View Diary: Is Christopher Dorner "The Spook Who Sat by the Door?" (241 comments)

•  He also poses a major challenge (26+ / 0-)

to the white "militia" movement, and its concept of resistance to (in their opinion) illegitimate authority.  He is doing almost exactly what they claim is their right to do: to rise up in "civil war" against oppressive authority.

It will be . . . interesting . . . to see how this is rationalized "on the right" . . .

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 01:35:28 PM PST

•  great point, the militia movement is thoroughly (9+ / 0-)

overlapped with the white nationalist movement at this point there concern may be about "black uprisings" instead.

Is Dorner going to inspire people to "take it to the man?"

•  Well, the right has a deep and abiding (7+ / 0-)

love for the police. Always has. It keeps them safe from scary brown people who want to rape their women and steal their stuff. They romanticize the police, all policemen are "heroes".  It's Big Government they hate.

Just like they want government to keep their paws off Medicare. There's no rational logic to their thinking because it's all fear based.

If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room", I'll be an elitist! - David Rees from "Get Your War On". //"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot

by Oaktown Girl on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 01:50:34 PM PST

•  Clarifying my point (5+ / 0-)

The rightwing militia movement has never spoken out about police abuses to people of color.So why should they be upset for the police going after a Black man when it's justified? Color will trump ideology.

by Oaktown Girl on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 01:59:25 PM PST

•  What I'm finding discomfitting is how this is (2+ / 0-)
      Darmok, Dr Swig Mcjigger

being handled by a few on the left.  While we've spent years railing against the white militias who have claimed the right to do this, we're now discussing whether Dorner's doing it isn't a really good thing and maybe we should consider him a hero?  Apparently because he's black and is releasing information that we have always suspected about the LAPD and his political beliefs are on the "right" side.

Hypocrisy anyone?  Can you imagine the uproar there would be on this site if he was one of the white militias and had just shot 3 innocent people?  Why the hell are we using a different standard for this guy?

Fortunately, this is the only diary and comments of the several written about him that has taken this approach.  The others have readily criticized the LAPD and the use of the descriptive of terrorist being used for him, and I've strongly supported those.   But this one is just bizzarre and I sincerely hope the apparent support being give is from just a few.

by gustynpip on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 01:54:50 PM PST

•  I see neither (12+ / 0-)

the "apparent support" nor the "different standard" that you imagine here.  While I'm sure he has garnered some sympathy, especially "on the street", that is not the substance of any discussion I've seen on dKos, including in this diary.

Fake Left, Drive Right . . . not my idea of a Democrat . . .

by Deward Hastings on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 02:03:04 PM PST

•  huh? you need to work on your nuance and optics (18+ / 0-)

who said he is a hero? and digging deeper, could he be a hero to some? why or why not? what are you afraid to ask?

I am working through the cultural narrative and intersections with race, power, memory, and identity here. I am curious about the case. But as is my habit, am also trying to highlight another important aspect of this conversation. That is what I do by habit and training...thus the embedded links. Check them out, you may learn a thing or two and be surprised.

Knowing is half the battle...as GI Joe says.

•  There are many, many, many situations in which (1+ / 0-)
          Darmok

it's both wise and appropriate to work through "the cultural narrative and intersections with race, power, memory, and identity".  A matter of a murderer killing multiple people in cold blood is not one of them.  You're not so subtle suggestion that I must be "afraid" of something because I'm willing to call him a murderer and believe that Nothing justified what he did is pretty shallow for someone who's trying to claim that he's such a "deep" thinker that he considers the cultural aspects of the mind of a person who doesn't give a shit about the lives of innocent people is more important to understand than to be concerned about the innocent people who have already been killed and the innocent people who might yet be killed.  Unbelievable that anyone could think they're being superior to others because they're looking at this tragedy from a "cultural narrative" and considering it from the "intersections with race, power, memory, and identity".  It'll be a cold day in hell that I'm impressed with such a show of cold hearted intelligentsia.

by gustynpip on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 02:16:03 PM PST

•  Being "cold hearted" may help prevent the next (2+ / 0-)
            Dretutz, Chi

Studying people's perceptions of Dorner is a distant second to taking him off the street, but most of us aren't qualified to do the latter.

If there's someone out there believing anything favorable about him, let's find out why so we can combat that attitude.

Freedom isn't free. Patriots pay taxes.

by Dogs are fuzzy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 04:26:54 PM PST

•  recommend a source * for current status updates, (0+ / 0-)

please.
        who reports best, who tracks the drone/s, where is the site for "official" mouthpiece statements a la Macondo oil "accident" in the Gulf ...

it's happening, first time ON OUR SOIL, and we need eyes and ears following it AS IT HAPPENS, to prevent lies.

please provide good links, if any are found.
        flickering power here, hard to keep abreast.
        already still WAY behind from Friday ...

There is no Article II power which says the Executive can violate the Constitution.--@Hugh Addington's Perpwalk: TRAILHEAD of Accountability for Bush-2 Crimes.

by greenbird on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 02:06:06 PM PST

•  Where do you get that anyone thinks what Dorner (6+ / 0-)

did is a "good thing?"  Where?  That is nowhere in this diary or discussion as far as I can tell.  Please point me there as I have missed that entirely.  It is not part of the discussion.

•  are you for real? (0+ / 0-)

we are adults here.  There have been many of these "I don't agree with Dorner's actions, but I think we should discuss why he did it" diaries.

People write these diaries because they DO agree with Dorner on this level, that level, or the other.  If they did not, they would not write the diary.

Ever hear the set up to a smear  "I am not racist but...."  well, you get the point, or you should but wont.

•  Thanks for your concern (0+ / 0-)

the left cannot afford to be associated with murderers, then we'd be just as bad as you guys on the right.

•  This should always be brought up, as with (4+ / 0-)
      Mannie, NancyWH, Chi, Joieau

Treyvon Martin not being "allowed" to defend himself by striking back against Zimmerman while he is allowed to shot an unarmed boy "in self defense".

•  of course, black people, and black men must (12+ / 0-)

always yield to white authority. you didn't get the memo?

•  Sadly, having come from a family from the (13+ / 0-)

Deep South, I have seen the memo way too many times.

Most recent, hilarious, and still sad example was when my wife and I were driving through Birmingham to visit our son at Pensacola Airbase and we decide to stop at a BBQ place.  So we pick one off the Garmin and get off the interstate. There is a line of cars around the block at the drive through so we park and go to eat inside. My wife doesn't notice cause she's from Indiana but I can see that every single car has white people in it. My goddamned race radar finally kicks in and I realize we are in the black part of town. Well, at least the BBQ will be good.  Sure enough, we get inside and not only are we the only white people in the building but everyone in there is looking at us like "did you not read the memo?"  We sit down to eat and the owner comes out to shake our hands lie I'm the mayor or something and thanks us from "coming into to visit"!  You could see the disappointment in his eyes when our accents give us away as being only visitors passing through.  I damned near cried as I thought how they would take his food but not deign to come in for a visit.

What the hell is wrong with people? I would shutter up the drive through and tell them to go to a fucking McDonalds. I hate that goddamned memo.

•  Funny story (2+ / 0-)
          LilithGardener, Joieau

I caught an airport shuttle bus in San Francisco. Logically enough, they try to keep the passengers together to maximize free space, and try to keep the front clear so people can get on and off.

So there I was, the only white person on the bus, and as I got on the African-American bus driver told me to get in the back of the bus

I did so without a word, of course, since it was a regulation applied to everyone uniformly for the common good, but I saw the humor.

Freedom isn't free. Patriots pay taxes.

by Dogs are fuzzy on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 04:34:08 PM PST

•  That's what makes me most interested in this. (11+ / 0-)

To watch the reaction of those who claim they need their 2nd Amendment to rise up against the government. Then, when a black guy does it, and it makes them squirm.

"Mitt Romney looks like the CEO who fires you, then goes to the Country Club and laughs about it with his friends." ~ Thomas Roberts MSNBC

by second gen on Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 02:07:02 PM PST