View Diary: IAN: Good Morning, February 15, 2013! (27 comments)

•  That's the kind of line I tread. (4+ / 0-)
    Noddy, FloridaSNMOM, weck, chimene

Paycheck to paycheck doesn't quite cover it, but I limp by somehow.  I am very lucky to have a friend who is well-off.  Every few weeks, she "treats" me to groceries.  I've gotten over being too proud to accept.  :-)

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 12:29:55 PM PST

•  I expect this belt-tightening (6+ / 0-)

right now to be temporary.  If I weren't supporting OctopodiCon and providing meals for a couple of elderly people (I did quit the other charities I was doing because I can't afford them anymore, but these 3 elderly people rely on me to feed them, and I'd do it if it meant shorting myself), I wouldn't be as tight as I am.

Oh, and the pay cut and the bump up in my mortgage payment didn't help any.

Once I sell this house, I should be in better finances for a while. I'll move in with my daughter temporarily, then find a really cheap-assed place to live (I found a couple of places renting for less than $100 - not the best neighborhoods, but I've lived in far worse) until I retire. Since I'll carry the portable valuables with me (the dogs and netbook) and the rest will be locked in storage, it really doesn't matter where I live short term. My car is old and on the "least likely to be stolen" list so the neighborhood doesn't have to be great.

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 01:54:09 PM PST

•  how is the market in OKC? is selling going to be (1+ / 0-)
        luckylizard

hard or easy? crossing my fingers for you!

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 07:33:39 PM PST

•  OKC never experienced (1+ / 0-)
          chimene

the housing bust other states did, probably because adjustable rate mortgages were never popular here.

I have several factors in my favor for selling:
          1. Location, location, location.
          2. My house is brick,
          3. it's got new plumbing from the water main to the city sewer line,
          4. it's got a brand new roof,
          5. it's walking distance from every grade level k-12 in the best school district in OKC.
          6. It's 1 block away from one of the better parks in the city.
          7. It's easy access to several major highways,
          8. and 1 block from the main snow routes that get plowed.
          9. It's in one of the lowest crime areas in the city.
          10. There is no HOA,
          11. but there is an active neighborhood watch.
          12. It's walking distance from a Taco Bueno, 2 different 7-11s, a thrift store, a cleaners, and 12 churches (if that's your thing).
          13. It's behind the high school stadium and you can watch (or hear) all the games

None of the houses in this neighborhood have ever stayed vacant for long, none have been foreclosed upon, and the very few that go up for sale don't stay on the market for long.

The downsides (and every neighborhood has them):

1. No sidewalks.
          2. No grocery stores in town (but we're surrounded on 3 sides by Oklahoma City, and a very good ethnic Mexican grocery store is about 1.5 miles away).
          3. Zoning laws prevent having a compost (I'm working on it).
          4. It's walking distance from 12 churches.
          5. It's located right behind the sports stadium that's shared with several schools and regional sporting events happen there, and drum practice starts at 6:00 am. Some events don't end until midnight, and the stadium lights are bright enough to read by inside the house. Of course, some people may consider this an upside, because you can watch most of the games from the roof of the house.

I'm pretty sure it will sell as quickly as other houses in this neighborhood.

by Noddy on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 07:02:54 AM PST

•  You're taking it all in stride. (1+ / 0-)
        Noddy

I'm glad you have a daughter to help you out until you find a good place.  Not having kids is my one regret.  I'd have been a rotten mother, but now that I'm old, it can be a bit lonely when there's a crunch.  My baby sisters are great, but they have their own lives and challenges.  :-)

by luckylizard on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 06:55:40 AM PST

•  I fostered a few... (1+ / 0-)
          luckylizard

I don't think I was a very good mother, but I was a better mother than most of them had. I made a lot of mistakes.

by Noddy on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 11:02:26 AM PST

•  If I'd have had (1+ / 0-)
            Noddy

full charge of kids, I'd have ended up in jail.  I just don't have the patience.  I got my "kid fixes" from teaching.  I could spend lots of time with them, enjoy the good stuff, and then send them home.  :-)

by luckylizard on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 11:54:54 AM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site