View Diary: *New Day* Aren't 80 years of the 'Redskin' slur enough? (266 comments)

•  Ask the local Native leaders now. (16+ / 0-)

Would not be surprised to find their response has changed.

Yes, it's racist.  It is not for non-Indians to appropriate, and doing so doesn't "honor" us.  There's a little bit of a difference WRT, say, a school like CMU, where nearly 70% of the student body comes from the tribe represented and voted to retain it on those specific grounds.  But I don't like even that, because it's not an NDN school - it's a dominant-culture public university, and the mascot name was appropriated stolen by non-NDNs for purposes that have nothing to do with us.

Short answer:  No Redskins, no Indians, no Chiefs, no Warriors with NDN imagery, and no tribal names.  Period.  If people have questions, they should try replaing the name with "N-----," "Blacks," "Coloreds," "Mexicans," "Sp---," "Jews," "Chinese," "J---," "Arabs," "Catholics," "Muslims," "Mormons," etc.  None of them sounds right, does it?  So why are we always the exception to that?

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 08:17:37 AM PST

•  You are right (12+ / 0-)

and the controversy was in the mid 80's - things have changed.
      Many of my HS friends went to CMU but it's been 25 years since I've lived there & have no idea what the thinking is now - back then it was Chippewa pride as I recall. Here the Shoshone, Bannock, Nez Perce are represented - the Nez Perce being the main tribe involved in the HS mascot renaming discussions & many in the state were changed. Of course, this is one of the least diverse states in the union so I can't imagine reflection on insensitivity happens very often.

I'm pretty tired of being told what I care about.

by hulibow on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 08:34:41 AM PST

•  Why?? (0+ / 0-)

Can't we have any identity at all? Good grief, if this is where liberalism is headed count me out. We have a diary up about whitewashing history and then another about not using ANY form of heritage or belief whatsoever. How are we a) supposed to describe ourselves, and b) learn about other ethnicities if we all have the same identification? What we should be working toward is equality NOT sameness. We are black, white, gay, old, young, Jewish, Native American, etc. Is the goal nowadays to take away one's cultural identity which includes religion, customs, sayings, sports, costumes, because somebody else finds it offensive, seriously? Get a grip people.

•  Oh, please. (7+ / 0-)

No one here is talking about giving everyone the same "identification." The point is that no dominant-culture institution has no right to appropriate my culture or identity or language or imagery.  Period.

And you can take your "oversensitive," "get a grip" bullshit elsewhere, because I don't let the dominant culture define me or what I should concern myself with for my people.

there's nothing liberal or progressive in your dismissively arrogant comment, but plenty that's offensive.

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 10:02:23 AM PST

•  Are you white? (6+ / 0-)

Suppose a team was called the Honkeys, and the mascot was a caricature of a white person? Or maybe the Crackers with a stereotyped Southerner -- bucktoothed (or missing teeth), big ears, barefoot and stupid? Of course that's not going to happen -- white culture is the dominant culture in this country.

First Nations people were here long before the rest of our ancestors got here -- yet they're treated like their foreigners in their own home. The first step in changing that attitude is to respect them and their culture -- and if that's being "politically correct" rather than just common courtesy, so be it.

by Cali Scribe on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 10:06:40 AM PST

•  I've said this before (1+ / 0-)
        Whatithink

no one here agrees with me but I stand by it)

what we pretend is 'cultural sensitivity' is damaging both to culture and to discourse.

Somehow, 'liberal' identity incorporates victimhood.  If certain groups don't see themselves as victims, then somehow they're not being 'progressive' enough.  I see this constantly--and it's perhaps the biggest problem I have with the left both socially and politically.

I felt this way during the 'Jew Pond' fiasco in New Hampshire.  I'm Jewish--and I was pretty angry that they elected to rename Jew Pond.  There were some mild anti-Semitism in its inception back in the day--but it became just a local landmark.

The fight over renaming it ensured that the Jews as Victims meme came back into the public spotlight.  It offended me orders of magnitude more than 'Jew Pond' did.

Unless things are being used to with the active intent to cause harm, let these things go.

•  You have it upsidedown. It's OUR cultural... (10+ / 0-)

...and ethnic identity that's being taken away. We're not giving it away; we're trying to regain. Having team mascots and nicknames that have nothing to do with that identity is not teaching anybody about our heritage or beliefs. Quite the opposite.

by Meteor Blades on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 03:03:05 PM PST

•  Sorry I've never been able to figure out how to (3+ / 0-)
          smileycreek, Eric Nelson, paradise50

do a "top comment" because, for its educational value, this one deserves it.

Dance lightly upon the Earth, Sing her songs with wild abandon, Smile upon all forms of Life ...and be well.

by LinSea on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 05:57:09 PM PST

•  What identity is being taken away (0+ / 0-)

when I say I am a Protestant black person? How does that offend you? You sound like a Republican when you scream that it's OUR culture like there is only one. There are many cultures in the U.S. depending on where you live. I thought homogeny was a right wing thing. And I am NOT including any defamatory or racial slurs in identities. There is a difference between black and the N word. I am responding to the original poster who included Black and religions in her "identifications". If those are to be excluded from your identification, what is left?

•  CMU? (1+ / 0-)
      paradise50

I assume you don't mean Carnegie Mellon University since they are the Tartans.

Javelin, Jockey details, all posts, discontinue

by jam on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 09:50:26 AM PST

•  Cential Michigan University. n/t (2+ / 0-)
        jam, paradise50

Authentic Native American silverwork, jewelry, photography, and other art here.

by Aji on Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 10:03:06 AM PST

•  CMU Student Handbook (4+ / 0-)
          wu ming, VA Breeze, paradise50, Scioto

Link

The following appears in the annual CMU student handbook.

Using the Chippewa name is special. The use of the name Chippewa as a symbol for CMU is special. Unlike the schools that use the names of animals, inanimate objects, mythical characters or even ancient people who no longer exist, CMU uses a name that is associated with a proud Native American nation. We call ourselves the Chippewas.

Using the name Chippewa brings special responsibilities. Because we use a name associated with a contemporary people, every effort must be made to avoid engaging in behavior that demeans, belittles or promotes stereotypes of Chippewas and American Indians. CMU students and friends of the University must be aware that human beings are affected by what we do and say in association with the use of the Chippewa name. Adhering to the following, particularly at our athletic events, will help in promoting the positive use of the Chippewa as our University symbol:

Do not wear war paint, head feathers or other stereotypical American Indian dress to sporting events.
          Do not chant "war whoops," refer to scalping opponents or make other verbal references to opposing teams which promote the stereotype of the "savage" Native American.
          Do not bring stereotypical Native American weapons such as tomahawks, spears and arrows to taunt and threaten opposing teams.
          Do not mock sacred Native American rituals by pretending to do Native American dances, performing Native American spiritual rights or inappropriately using Native American symbols.
          Using Chippewa as a symbol for CMU means that we must respect our Chippewa neighbors and Native American culture. All CMU students are encouraged to take advantage of the opportunities provided at the University to learn more about the contributions of the American Indians and the Chippewa people.

Javelin, Jockey details, all posts, discontinue