View Diary: With vote scheduled for Friday, Reid aides say Hagel doesn't yet have 60 votes (221 comments)

•  John McCain is not the only disgrace (10+ / 0-)

in the U.S. Senate, and I'm not talking about just Republicans.  I would like to know who the Democrats are who wouldn't vote for filibuster reform.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 09:01:51 AM PST

•  My senator for one: Dianne Feinstein n/t (9+ / 0-)

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 09:20:25 AM PST

•  And your other Senator, Boxer, for another. (10+ / 0-)

Feinstein didn't surprise me. Boxer did.

The GOP can't win on ideas. They can only win by lying, cheating, and stealing. So they do.

by psnyder on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 09:54:48 AM PST

•  Correct (4+ / 0-)
          psnyder, madronagal, Not A Bot, SueDe

Boxer has also been assimilated and is now in the same little club of self serving politicians.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 10:19:04 AM PST

•  I don't believe in prayer as a tool ... (0+ / 0-)

... for getting things I want.  My folks generally see it as an expression of thanks and worship rather than an instrument for magically obtaining wishes.  However, this week I'm submitting the following, going against centuries of tradition:

Dear G-d, 2012 DA14 to 38.89 N, 77.03 W.  We'll take care of monument replacement.

The wisdom of my forebears ... Two wise people will never agree. Man begins in dust and ends in dust — meanwhile it's good to drink some vodka. A man studies until he's seventy and dies a fool.

by Not A Bot on Thu Feb 14, 2013 at 12:20:31 PM PST

•  Yep, the both of 'em. (1+ / 0-)
          psnyder

DiFi is probably out as of the end of her current term, but I can't wait for my next Boxer fundraising letter to arrive.... telling me how horrible those mean ol' Republicans are....

•  Yeah, she really surprised me. (0+ / 0-)

The only defensible explanation I've heard (but with reference to Reid) is that change was less vetoed than delayed. The thinking was that with the Republican majority in the House, nothing much was going to pass anyway, so why not make a feint in the direction of restricting the filibuster, get Republicans to make more false promises, then hoist them on their own petard in two years.

Sounds a little too much like saving Harry Reid's bacon or 11-dimensional chess, but not entirely implausible.

by psnyder on Fri Feb 15, 2013 at 06:15:28 PM PST

•  Hmm. (1+ / 0-)
              psnyder

Perhaps as plausible as anything else.  (No rec button for your comment -- maybe rec time is over -- or I would have.)  But I have to wonder how much more of a petard we need before hoisting the Repukes on it.  It smacks not only of 11-dim chess (a game I'm thoroughly sick of) but also of the age-old Dem excuse of Keeping The Powder Dry.

Just do something for once, Dems.  For fuck's sake!