View Diary: This week in science: Cosmic rain (63 comments)

•  Carl Sagan addressed the Cold War and the danger (7+ / 0-)

of asteroid or cometary impacts in his Heaven and Hell episode of Cosmos. The best bit starts at 7:55 on the video. You really have to hear Carl say it himself, though:

It's a strange scenario: a small comet hits the Earth - as many of them have during the history of our planet - and the response of the dominant civilization is promptly to self-destruct.

We all understand that freedom isn't free. What Romney and Ryan don't understand is that neither is opportunity. We have to invest in it.
    Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 08:27:01 AM PST

•  Love that awe-inspiring, goose-bumply (5+ / 0-)

Carl Sagan stuff, especially accompanied by Stravinsky!

"They come, they come To build a wall between us We know they won't win."--Crowded House, "Don't Dream It's Over."

by Wildthumb on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 08:50:54 AM PST

•  Rec x 1,000 - Thanks! n/t (2+ / 0-)
      pixxer, MKSinSA

To stand in silence when they should be protesting makes cowards out of men. -Abraham Lincoln

by Eyesbright on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 11:10:48 AM PST

•  Glad you enjoyed it :) I recently (finally) (1+ / 0-)
        Eyesbright

bought a complete DVD set of Cosmos. The show really changed my life, coming when I was about to go back to school. It reminded me what a passionate and exuberant pursuit science is. That particular bit I remembered without the DVD, however :)

Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012

by pixxer on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 09:32:22 PM PST

•  I loved Carl Sagan but I've found that I can (2+ / 0-)
          pixxer, MKSinSA

cope with his absence best when I remind myself of the existence of Neil DeGrasse Tyson.  Tyson is in the same class but slightly different.  Sagan was passionate in that serious way where you just want to sit and listen to him and drink in what he's saying in that beautiful voice.  Tyson, on the other hand, always has a twinkle in his eye and seems to invite conversation.

Anyway, thanks again!

by Eyesbright on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 09:52:52 PM PST

•  Tyson is something major in the Planetary Society (1+ / 0-)
            Eyesbright

that Sagan founded. Executive Director or Figurehead or something. Yes, he's great. What I admired about Sagan was that he was an excellent scientist, with considerable accomplishments in research, a theoretician with wide-ranging ideas, but who was always, in the end, rigorous about what was true and what was still unproved. A winning combination - fantasy tempered with the scientific method :)

Julian Castro, DNC 4 Sept 2012