View Diary: SNLC, Vol. CCCLXII / UDKCJ 21: New Classical Recordings Edition (81 comments)

•  Understudied 3C SN@TO and got 0 comments (3+ / 0-)

which is a loser of a loser story since it has been done many times before. What is more loser-ish is that I had blocked in out in advance based on the expectations that I would really really hate it and not hating it at all, had to start all over again.
    Except who would believe a Rookie Reviewer who loved an opera that all the Major Leaguers disliked?

Plus, I had promised all the nice Italian ladies in the row behind me that I would register their complaint that the curse was written out of story and a mafioso, or to be fair, a Meyer Lansky, would have been much better than an Arab Sheik, who was definitely a non-starter as the power behind a curse.

3C's other underfrequented diary except not by 3C

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 08:57:17 PM PST

•  I listened to most of today's (3+ / 0-)

radio broadcast. Sounded fine.

•  sorry I found your diary late, i.e. just now (3+ / 0-)

It now has 2 comments.  You can maybe edit it to insert a "Did you see it today?" poll, which is another regular feature.  Plus, since you put it up not that long ago, the Rescue Rangers might catch it on the next go around.

"It's only in books that the officers of the detective force are superior to the weakness of making a mistake." (Wilkie Collins, The Moonstone)

by chingchongchinaman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 10:41:01 PM PST

•  You got a rec from me! (3+ / 0-)

No comment b/c all I did before reading your post was read the NYT review of it, and I'm not exactly an opera buff so I don't know the original, either.

If I hadn't done the hover thing & seen from your first sentence what your post was about, I probably wouldn't have clicked at all -- I didn't know there was a Saturday Night at the Opera (except for what 3CM writes, natch) so SN@TO meant nothing to me.

But I definitely enjoyed your post.

Irony takes a worse beating from Republicans than Wile E. Coyote does from Acme. --Tara the Antisocial Social Worker

by Youffraita on Sat Feb 16, 2013 at 10:53:25 PM PST

•  Thanks oh so very much, a fellow non-buff espec. (2+ / 0-)

I am not even close to being a buff, or even a novice buff. so am I writing for the people who are fascinating but also befuddled by the fuss. If you then enjoyed it, I found just the right reader, the one I imagined writing for. Oh heart's delight and in valentlne's week, too.

by BlueStateRedhead on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 08:51:34 AM PST

•  makes it even better..... (1+ / 0-)
          BlueStateRedhead

.....to bring in more people.  FWIW, if all goes to plan, I can diary the March 2 HD-cast of Parsifal.  But it's going to be tight that day.

by chingchongchinaman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 12:43:57 AM PST

•  march 2 not likely for.me. seek alternate buffs (1+ / 0-)
            chingchongchinaman

Parsifal notnmy cup of tea or glaas of reisling or stein of beer anyway. Nyt article up this am fyi

by BlueStateRedhead on Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 05:27:30 AM PST

•  the tight schedule is because of...... (1+ / 0-)
              BlueStateRedhead

.......the sheer length of the opera, of course, and because I'll be @ the symphony that night (duh), which leaves very little time to pen the impressions of the HD-cast.  I might be able to write a chunk of it in advance, if I get my act together.  (Of course, if I had my act together, I wouldn't be a loser.  Talk about circular logic.)

by chingchongchinaman on Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 10:31:22 PM PST

•  My actogether made me a loser; your risk? (0+ / 0-)

When the rookie reviewer who finds that she and more importantly, her focus group of Italian American ladies in the row behind her (who after all are legacy members of the Verdi-lovers club) loved the opera except for the SNAFU of the curse, while the reviewers on whom she had based her act togethering draft had at best just tolerated the opera the actogether made her a loser.

Siegfried as risky a business? Wagner still have his cult members outside of Bayreuth?

by BlueStateRedhead on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 07:16:04 PM PST