View Diary: SN@TO 15: Rat Pack Rigoletto Edition (15 comments)

•  I saw the HD production yesterday. (2+ / 0-)

And I loved it!  The singers were in fantastic voice, the set is exciting, and the curse is handled better than I expected.  Really, what gambler isn't superstitious?

I was not crazy about Montorone being made an Arab.  I think Damrau's hand wringing was a bit excessive (she does tend to over act).  The intermission interviews were terribly awkward.  Usually I enjoy them, but this time I preferred watching the crew.

And Štefan Kocán as Sparafucile was TOTALLY TO DIE FOR!  And his singing was perfect - you could hear and understand his lowest notes and his breath control was unbelievable.  I missed his Don Giovanni but I hope to catch it on the summer replays.

I have been an opera buff since I was very young.  This production will not be my favorite Rigolleto - that will forever be Pavorotti, 1963.  But I did enjoy it very much, as did the three people with me - two of whom are professional singers and the third training as one.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." - George Carlin

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 08:32:17 AM PST

•  Štefan Kocán as Sparafucile was TOTALLY TO DIE (2+ / 0-)

FOR...
      TOTAL AGREEMENT. singing. acting. body language. right for an assassin of Mantua, far too graceful for one of Vegas, the control of a Castiglione courtier.

AND YOU TELL ME HE HAS SUNG THE DON. YOU ARE MY ANGEL IN HEAVEN* AS MY SO, who feels he is now invested in  following as music interests as he can do seriously)  WILL ONLY GO TO OPERA FOR MOZART (I am yelling for joy!!)

*quote from Rigoletto, Gilda's mother is her angel in heaven

"Are you bluish? You don't look bluish," attributed to poet Roger Joseph McGough, for the Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968).

by BlueStateRedhead on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 09:27:34 AM PST

•  You only go for Mozart? (2+ / 0-)

But you are missing so much!  I love Mozart, but my favorite opera composer is Puccini, but I just cannot decide which of his works is my favorite.  :)

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 09:47:41 AM PST

•  No not me, my SO is all Mozart for opera guy (1+ / 0-)
          chingchongchinaman

His other music interests: early and early instrument, baroque, classical,  jazz, are broad....so broad, he says he does have time to add opera--in performance.

He will listen to early opera on the radio concert hall performances.

For Mozart, however, he will make an exception--for listening, all time, any time--. And now, he will add going to a Mozart opera.

by BlueStateRedhead on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 12:01:59 PM PST

•  Sorry. I mis-read. (1+ / 0-)
            chingchongchinaman

I wish you an enjoyable Mozart experience.

(nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

by Most Awesome Nana on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 01:46:34 PM PST

•  No need to nudge me, it's SO, and there's hope (1+ / 0-)
              chingchongchinaman

...he is thinking about Handel’s Giulio Cesare in April.

That's most awesome, so thank you M.A.N....

by BlueStateRedhead on Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 03:31:09 PM PST