View Diary: TRIGGER WARNING: Reading this post will give you nightmares (256 comments)

•  I agree with you... (28+ / 0-)

"Protect and serve" has been replaced with "Maintain and Control".  Just like in the Stanford Prison Experiment (http://www.prisonexp.org/), people who are given authority without strong limitations and regulations, will become abusive.  It is documented over and over again like at Abu Ghraib.

It is not that Los Angeles looks for bad guys to be cops nor is it that the people are necessarily evil, it is a natural psycological progression that the department not only needs to eradicate but first must acknowledge this even exists.

A good start would be retraining police officers a few basic lessons:

1.) Courage is not facing down a bunch of unarmed peace protestors with riot gear and military weapons.  Show them a picture of Scott Olsen facing a line of militarized police and ask, "Which one here has the most courage?"

2.)  The most important freedom is the freedom FROM an oppressive government and the physical representation of the government is its enforcement police.

3.)  Police are not above the law but rather should be held to an even stricter standard because they represent the law.

4.) Police deserve respect not because the use the power and authority they are given but because they refrain from using it.

"Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not YET sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favour..."

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 08:21:03 AM PST

•  Combat veterans, many of whom have been (14+ / 0-)

given no real counseling to help them transition back to civilian life, are the favored candidates for jobs in law enforcement.

I don't know who is or isn't a "bad guy", but we're hiring people who have in many cases spent years in an environment in which shooting first and asking questions later is the desired course of action.

We're putting them in jobs where force should be a last resort, not the first, and we're not only falling to give them any help in adjusting but we don't seem to even be getting through to them that adjustment is required.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 10:42:50 AM PST

•  Fullerton isn't Los Angeles. (1+ / 0-)
      grover

And its police force is separate from the LAPD.

•  Semantics. (4+ / 0-)

The police in Southern California consist of their own social group. Any city there shares officers interacting with other officers from other forces in their time off.

"Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules" John Lennon - Working Class Hero

by Horace Boothroyd III on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 11:23:52 AM PST

•  I live in Southern California. (2+ / 0-)
          raincrow, emptythreatsfarm

Thank you very much.

It's not "just semantics".  The Riverside Police Department, for example, is a very separate entity from the LAPD, not only in terms of funding, but also in terms of political control.  So is Fullerton.

I don't have any direct knowledge of who officers "hang out with", but as you know, Southern California is a huge place.

If you want to chalk that up to "semantics", then I'm afraid there's not much more to discuss.  The "semantics" matter.

•  Thank you... (7+ / 0-)

I agree and it is not just southern California but everywhere.

Our police are respected and admired for the image of what they do but the image is often perverted (in both good ways and bad).  The reality is that the police (and sherriffs and security guards, etc...) are all just fallible human beings doing a hard, often thankless job with budget cuts, dangerous situations, boring details and they also have good and bad days like the rest of us.

The problem is the management and the political influences that create incentives for being hard on crime and criminals and low on tolerance for anything but authoritarian type control.

by Buckeye Nut Schell on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 11:51:59 AM PST

•  Worse throughout California (3+ / 0-)
            Horace Boothroyd III, SadieSue, kyril

due to the paramilitarization that came here and was funded here after Rodney King.

It's still bad, but having been in touch with LE activists throughout the country, the officer-involved fatality rate in California is known to be the highest in the Country for any State. That doesn't even include non-lethal brutality.

Click the ♥ to join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news & views written from a black pov - everyone is welcome.

by mahakali overdrive on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 01:38:52 PM PST

•  It's scattered across the country, (3+ / 0-)

Just like its scattered across California.

For example, just look up the coast to the horrors performed regularly by Seattle PD until DOJ stepped in.

The best part? The alleged "liberal" mayor denied that things were as bad as the DOJ report said, even though most of us citizens believe that the civil rights violations were glossed over.

And that's what many of the comments are missing: the political side. Often these are democratic or independent mayors, city managers, and city councilmembers who oversee these police departments.

But many are absolutely quiet about the atrocities committed by their forces.

Yet they get re-elected. Why?

© grover

by grover on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 05:06:03 PM PST

•  It reminds me of the situation with Mayor Quan (4+ / 0-)

in Oakland. She is a strong Democrat. Yet her aides quit in protest over her support of the police force used with Kevin Sabaghi and Scott Olsen (and also, general harassment, I think): https://www.baycitizen.org/...

I cannot really wrap my head around it. At least in my area, there was some concern from some Progressive Democrats. There was also concern from many African-American and Latino politicians on both sides of the aisle.

It's wrong, and we need to be more clear to say that to those we elect. I feel that so strongly, like before I cast a vote for anyone, I want to know how much they plan to spend from the general budget toward the police department, how will they handle issues of brutality, how do they respond to past issues?

I'm a Democratic-voting Socialist. That doesn't mean I've always voted. It means I vote Democratic when I do vote. I am selective about who I support, however. I think sometimes, I've had some shitty choices though. I didn't like voting for Diane Feinstein, for example. I don't remotely understand her political ideology. I felt the same way about Jerry Brown, who I cast my ballot for, but the alternative was Meg Whitman. It was a hard place and a harder place.

So I guess that goes back to making this an issue in the Primaries. It also needs to be an issue for the public at large. They need to stop thinking people are "anti-cop" because they want police to not kill people and want a bit of transparency about it when they do.

by mahakali overdrive on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 06:15:56 PM PST