View Diary: Updated x2 - CNBC/CNN put Tesla to the Test. NY Times Fails. (230 comments)

•  First, I didn't say 24,000 I said "close to". (6+ / 0-)

And the higher end battery replacement is currently 12K for a replacement. So if you want to be precise it would be (if everything works perfectly) some number greater then 16K and less then 30K depending on the model you get.

I'm not hostile at all, nor am I playing "gotcha" (although you all may be playing that, I'm not sure but you all seem very defensive). But if bad math is needed to sell something I get suspicous. It puts it in the company of a flat tax and the lottery.

We were not ahead of our time, we led the way to our time.

by i understand on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 08:46:52 PM PST

•  But where do you get these numbers? (9+ / 0-)

Are these based on testing by engineers?

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 08:49:02 PM PST

•  no based on the warranty and replacement costs. (7+ / 0-)

published by Tesla.

Also not mentioned here is the $600/year service fee.

Again, lots of good reasons to buy a "green" car. And if the Tesla S fits what some folks want, great! But who wants bad math to convince them it's somehow a cheaper solution?

We were not ahead of our time, we led the way to our time.

by i understand on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 08:54:50 PM PST

•  Bad math? (15+ / 0-)

Stop it.  A Tesla is a luxury car.  It's expensive.  I think people who buy that are well aware of that.

Republicans: Taking the country back ... to the 19th century

by yet another liberal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 at 08:58:13 PM PST

•  But why treat what you perceive to be "bad math" (1+ / 0-)
          von Dutch

as some sort of sneaky way to "sell" Tesla?  Why couldn't you just have posted a "but here are some additional expenses you didn't take into consideration"?  That's what's usually done when people want to provide information and have a discussion.  When people want to be argumentative, they state their position in the "gotcha" manner you did.  Which leads me to believe you have agenda other than just making sure people have all the facts.

by gustynpip on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 05:38:16 AM PST

•  I'm not worried about it (6+ / 0-)

he/she tried to hijack the thread.

I didn't include the costs of a battery replacement because when I spoke to a rep from Tesla they told me that even though the warranty is for 100,000 or 8 years the batteries are expected to last 200,000 miles.   At that point, if you've had the car and driven it 200,000 miles, you've likely had it for 10-13 years unless you drive like I do (25,000 per year which would still work out to 8 years).  When that time comes you have to make a decision.  Do you pay $8,000-$12,000 for a new battery or do you buy a new car.  Its not an altogether different decision than a typical car owner faces when say their transmission goes.  Last year I spent over $6,000 in maintenance alone and I STILl have to replave my cat converter to teh tune of over $1,000.  With an EV you don't have those things.  So if I missed adding $600 maintenance every 15,000 miles it's because that STILL is less than what I'm paying to maintain my current car.

My estimates were never intended to be exact.  Just a back of the napkin type rough estimate to show that  the way we think of cost with a typical car is not the way we should be thinking with an EV car.  EV's will cost more up front but in the long run the overall cost is not all that different than a typical car.  I mean my estimates were if anything conservative considering the Tesla Model S is a luxury car.  If I had compared it to a similarly luxurious car then my original price for the car would likely be $30,000 to $40,000 with fuel costs on top.  Maintenance of luxury cars are even pricier.  So when you add it all up, the Model S ends up being a pretty good deal.

This is your world These are your people You can live for yourself today Or help build tomorrow for everyone -8.75, -8.00

by DisNoir36 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 05:53:35 AM PST

•  Nonsense (1+ / 0-)
              Quicklund

But if it makes you feel better about a purchase, you're welcome to your reality bubble. And I see there is another clique here that attacks anyone who challenges that bubble.

We were not ahead of our time, we led the way to our time.

by i understand on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 07:02:19 AM PST

•  Nonsense that was no hijack (1+ / 0-)
              i understand

The comment about battery replacement costs was as on-topic as a comment can be.

You offer good logic here as to why battery replacement might not be needed. But it might. And to ignore this factor entirely, even after it is raised, is indeed bad math.

What's worse though is the possibility you'd not made this rebuttal comment at all. These sort of comments are productive. Don't blow off quality debate as a hijack. The ratio of crap:productive comments on the internet is far too high for that. We've got enough chaff so please do not deny us your wheat.