View Diary: Updated x2 - CNBC/CNN put Tesla to the Test. NY Times Fails. (230 comments)

•  What about (2+ / 0-)
    MPociask, Quicklund

VW Passat TDI?  $25-30k.  EPA says 43 Mpg but several folks I know who own it says nope - they get better (and these aren't hyper-miler types).  I get 44 mpg  on mixed highway/city driving on my 99 Jetta (just turned 200k yay!)

We are seriously considering a Passat TDI (not to replace my Jetta mind you) in the near future as soon as I can make room for payments on a $25 k car.  I would LOVE a Tesla S but I need the price to be a good deal lower - so I am rooting for great sales that will help the technology spread!

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 05:12:01 AM PST

•  I'm giving some serious thought to the new (2+ / 0-)
      oldmanriver, newfie

Ford - Fusion is it? hybrid.  It's getting rave reviews and with the $4,000 tax credit, will be around $30,000 with all the bells and whistles I want.  It's rated for 47 mpg.

Right now I'm driving a 2003 Jaguar X type with nearly 200,000 miles, which they don't make anymore (if they did, I have to admit I'd be buy it again, regardless of the 25 or 26 mpg).  I'm having a dickens of a time finding anything even brand new I'd rather drive than it and have spent literally years looking.  I refuse to consider anything that gets less than 30 mpg, yet want it to be fun to drive and nice looking.  There's really not much out there, I've found.

by gustynpip on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 05:47:30 AM PST

•  Be careful with the MPG for the Fusion and CMax (0+ / 0-)

There's a significant portion of owners (and testers like Consumer Reports, etc) that are only averaging between 37 and 39 MPG in both no matter how carefully they try to drive.  My wife was considering the Fusion Hybrid but we'll wait a bit to see how the controversy shakes out.

If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin. --- Charles Darwin

by coracii on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 07:37:06 AM PST

•  I have heard that. (0+ / 0-)

And I have heard the exact opposite for the VW TDI.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 01:02:00 PM PST

•  Thanks for letting me know that. I won't (0+ / 0-)

be doing anything until spring at least, maybe longer.  I've spent so much time online looking at cars, trying to find something sporty but comfortable and with enough room for dogs and lugguge when traveling, but getting decent milage.  I actually just hit upon this one reading Edmund's and love the looks of it, it sounds like it has the space I need and has some of the little luxuries I like and meets my  milage requirement plus some.  I'll stay on top of the milage thing, though, before I jump into it.

by gustynpip on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 02:03:02 PM PST

•  Ford Fusion? (2+ / 0-)
        gustynpip, radical simplicity

um, yeah.  I have a 2012 and I love it, although do NOT believe the mileage claims.  my overall mieage at this point is 31.4 and has dropped over the winter.  Things to think aboutconventional heater uses engine heat, so engins until warmed u[p for heat.  Yeah, crazy ain't it?  My sticker said 42 city/34 highway, but if I take short trips (~130 mi.), I get around 35-38 mpg, and if I keep the heat off, I can make 39 on in-town trips with out hills.  NOTE:  Hills will kill the mileage!

But, on the pro side, I love the heated leather seats, the lighting package, in-mirror backup camera (only have Sync, not the Touch console)), the room and creature comforts and the fact I can reach all the controls and SEE them (unlike the Prius V I looked at).  I have a friend with a Mercedes S-something or other, and he liked it, so I figure it ain't all bad  :)

''The guarding of military and diplomatic secrets at the expense of informed representative government provides no real security for our Republic.'' - Justice Hugo L. Black of the Supreme Court

by geekydee on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 07:46:56 AM PST

•  Boy do I miss heated leather seats! (0+ / 0-)

Though, reading your comment, I'm glad I chose a different car - we were considering the Fusion, among others. It would have bugged me to no end to have gone backwards on mileage. I had gotten down to 39 mpg in the old, old, old civic hybrid, and between the wear and tear of a quarter million miles, through a decade of VT mud seasons and salty winters, and needing a little of everything in order to pass inspection, we reached the "makes more sense to buy a car" stage.

Luckily, the new one (prius c) is averaging 49 mpg, despite the really cold weather, winter formula gas, and studded snow tires on steel (nominally pothole resistant) rims.

•  I Love My Jetta TDI Sportwagen! (1+ / 0-)
      newfie

40+ mpg...and it can go fast.  ;)  It can haul a lot of dogs, too.

•  That was/is a consideration. (0+ / 0-)

I won't give up my 99 Jetta TDI until it gives up.  I am looking for 300k (really 400k but don't tell my wife).

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity"

by newfie on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 01:03:27 PM PST