View Diary: *New Day* A 19th Century massacre gets a 21st Century whitewash (193 comments)

•  ...we are witnesses to whitewashing right now... (11+ / 0-)

...in real time by the GOP.  If is weren't for the internet, their version of "non-real reality" might be all there was out there...

Ignorance is bliss only for the ignorant. The rest of us must suffer the consequences.

by paradise50 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 08:48:52 AM PST

•  Read 11/22/63, Stephen King's book. (4+ / 0-)

I was 14 when JFK was assassinated.  I lived in that era.  The book took me back so powerfully it altered everything.  Even as an aware person I've forgotten what it was really like- time can do that.  It made me even more determined to fight back.

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:17:45 AM PST

•  Good book (4+ / 0-)

I may read it again.  It really did give you the sense of being back in that era again and it seemed to cover the topic pretty thoroughly.

Democratic Leaders must be very clear they stand with the working class of our country. Democrats must hold the line in demanding that deficit reduction is done fairly -- not on the backs of the elderly, the sick, children and the poor.

by Betty Pinson on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:35:55 AM PST

•  Yes, without neon lights. It was low-key (0+ / 0-)

and accurate about racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-semitism and the casual violence women and children were subject to.  That's the power, just describing reality.

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 12:11:21 PM PST

•  It's not just the GOP, its corporate media (4+ / 0-)

The corporations who now control our government well understand the need to manipulate and control news to control public opinion.  Part of that process involves whitewashing history, almost from the moment it happens.

by Betty Pinson on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 09:37:50 AM PST

•  The news (3+ / 0-)
        slksfca, LinSea, smileycreek

about real time the here and now is propaganda and the back stories the how's and why's of our history is not only whitewashed it's erased entirely. Then the real history is  replaced with a narrative tailor made to induce the needed fear and loathing. The truth is redacted in the here and now as it poses a threat to 'national security'. State secrets that they say cannot be known as lives will be lost. Strange that in the information age we have no history no connections to the reality were living in. CT abound and whistle blowers are enemies of the state. Ignorance is strength, War is peace. The bloody  massacre's continue and the medals are awarded to our freedom fighters.

•  That's always been true of the media, (1+ / 0-)
          shaharazade

corporations, the wealthy, the victors.

We act like this is some new version of Dante, the 21st Century Circle of Hell.  We're much better off today than we've ever been.  I can fact-check using multiple sources in an hour, something that would have taken days a few years ago.  I can read quotes from liberals who hated SS, Medicare, Civil Rights legislation in their time, just with a quick Google.  It's easier to get a sense of perspective, and the real and lasting power Progressives have wielded, because of the Internet.

by I love OCD on Wed Feb 20, 2013 at 12:32:00 PM PST

where you do get to search for the truth and sort it out yourself.  Liberals? Doubt it as the definitions of what is and was progressive or liberal really depend on you, the readers perceptive. No liberal or progressive I have ever encountered hated civil rights, SS, or Medicare in their time. I guess it depends on how you define liberal.

You can see however that many our political leaders who flew under the flag of liberal or the Democratic party are just like now neither progressive or liberal. Democratic pols at least in my life time always play to the populist end of the spectrum but seldom deliver. They usually cast themselves as 'moderate' with good old Yankee or American values and virtue.

I laugh to myself as I read here at dkos how Jefferson, FDR, Johnson, even Kennedy ( John not Bobby) are cast as villains because they supported and did this or that in comparison to Obama. Never was any duly elected pol free of the stains we purists call Obama to task for. This is the way of the inevitable world we live in. The one where definitions of progress and the spectrum of liberal through conservative is decided by 'the victors'.

What crap. The only progress humans make in the false ever changing  political/electoral spectrum is not from the entrenched power but from people. People from Hammurabi's code, the Magna Carta to now have fought for for their hard won rights.

This actually is a 21st century version of Dante's Circle of hell. A circle that has at it's center nothing but greed, power lust, fear and darkness. Progress and liberalism do not exist in our present official political spectrum. They are extreme they place the progress of human well being and value the common good of our planet over the machinations of those who have power and use fear, degradation and greed to maintain their grip.

•  The liberals of their times said (0+ / 0-)

almost word for word what many liberals of this time say about the ACA and the stimulus:  Doesn't help enough of the people who need it, too watered down, too much compromise, not enough bully pulpit, weak sauce.  That's all I'm saying.  We keep repeating the same mistakes.  I'm curious about what might happen if, this one time, we take the ACA and start improving it THIS decade, THIS generation?

What if more of us had the sense that every progressive/liberal move forward is not what was hoped for and has still managed to be incredibly effective in doing what needed to be done.  That each initial effort has been built on over the years and has thus become central to how we understand ourselves as Americans.  We care for the elderly.  We provide help for the neediest.  We protect human rights.

Are we there yet?  Hell no.  Will we get there?  If we don't succumb to helplessness in the face of the various powers that have ALWAYS tried to beat us into submission, we will.

This is not the worst time ever.  1950's America was worse for everyone but the white Christian men in charge.  4th Century Europe was no picnic.  19th Century western civilizations were pretty grim for everyone but the wealthiest, and most of them didn't have decent indoor plumbing for much of the century.  I'm a big fan of toilets and showers.

The wealthy have always been greedy and power mad, the media has always been complicit, income/resource inequality has been the justice issue in every culture since we started living in communities.  The more we convince ourselves that this is the worst time ever the more excuses we give ourselves for not fighting back.

The original union organizers did not worry so much about being fired - it was the ax handles that broke their heads, the guns that killed them, the threats to their families they had to keep fighting through.  My question is, do we have it in us to fight the way they did, or are we just going to blog and complain and feel hopeless.?

by I love OCD on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 12:38:46 PM PST