View Diary: Indiana would like to be the next state to transvaginally rape you. Twice. For your own good. (176 comments)

•  My state, bless it's stink in heart (7+ / 0-)

I just realized, thanks to a previous comment, what this trans vaginal probe actually entails.  I'm guessing here, but from the length and shape of the wand, I'm thinking the cervix is dilated and the probe goes through sorry I'm a slow learner.  So, painful, yes. And degrading.

What a holes.

•  Yes, and because the woman is required to see (7+ / 0-)

and fully understand the images they can't give her anything for the pain.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 04:24:12 PM PST

•  I believe the wand sits at the cervix, (5+ / 0-)

but doesn't actually pass through.

•  Dear lord people. (8+ / 0-)

Basic biology here:  the cervix remains firmly closed.  It only begins to dilate when labor begins.  If during pregnancy the cervix begins to dilate prematurely the condition is called--wait for it--incompetent cervix.  At any rate, during vaginal intercourse and any kind of medical examination (like PAP smears), the cervix is closed.

The procedure in itself is not painful or degrading if you require it to confirm pregnancy or if there is threat of miscarriage.  Transvaginal ultrasounds are generally used only very early in pregnancy if the uterus is still too small for an embryo to be detected with an abdominal ultrasound.  You want painful?  Try drinking a liter of water and being forced to hold it while someone presses down on your abdomen with an ultrasound probe.  I speak from experience: I've had both types of ultrasound a number of times.  Frankly, I just didn't find the transvaginal that uncomfortable.  PAP smears are worse.

This does not exonerate lawmakers who clearly want to use the transvaginal ultrasound in a threatening way.  As has been discussed in previous threads on this subject, most women would receive an ultrasound prior to an abortion anyway to confirm the pregnancy and establish the age of the embryo.  I get most angry about the fact that these proposed laws force women to see the embryo and listen to a heartbeat before having the abortion procedure.

•  Why would most women receive an ultrasound (1+ / 0-)
        blukat

prior to an abortion?  It's not necessary for confirming a pregnancy or establishing the approximate age of the embryo.  An ultrasound is completely unnecessary unless the doctor or women believes there is a potential problem either with the pregnancy or development of the fetus.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 09:02:31 AM PST

•  Blood tests give a number for HCG, (2+ / 0-)
          Ahianne, historys mysteries

which is the hormone produced when there is a pregnancy.  Those numbers can vary dramatically.  If a woman is not sure when the date of her last period was or is someone who has irregular periods, then the visualization of the embryonic sac can help determine the date of the pregnancy.  I imagine for an abortion provider preparing a D&C that knowing the specific date in the pregnancy would be necessary.

•  I think we are supposed to be... (2+ / 0-)
          Penny GC, historys mysteries

Grateful that the Republitards have this overwhelming concern for Consumer Protection and want to demonstrate it with "Pics or, it Never Happened."

Science is not to be believed, the earth is flat, the universe revolves around the earth, the moon landing was a hoax filmed out in the desert someplace...

And Oh Yea...
          The WMD's in Iraq are there... You Betcha!

Can Darwin's Law work faster please?
          The conservative species is begging for extinction by their failure to evolve...

"Do you realize the responsibility I carry?
          I'm the only person standing between Richard Nixon and the White House."
          ~John F. Kennedy~

-7.5,-5.8

by Oldestsonofasailor on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 10:06:22 AM PST

•  It is necessary for dating n/t (1+ / 0-)
          historys mysteries

Thought is only a flash in the middle of a long night, but the flash that means everything - Henri Poincaré

by milton333 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 11:11:49 AM PST

•  Also for confirming intrauterine pregnancy (2+ / 0-)
            SneakySnu, historys mysteries

It would not be an appropriate standard of care to administer an abortion to a woman without confirming that it was an intrauterine, and not ectopic, pregnancy.

by milton333 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 11:19:58 AM PST

•  It does not pass through the cervix, so there (3+ / 0-)

isn't the pain associated with a procedure like that, as if that's any consolation.  However, I had it done while I was pregnant, with my consent, and it was very uncomfortable and afterwards I cried because I felt violated.

"They love the founding fathers so much they will destroy everything they created and remake it in Rush Limbaughs image." MinistryofTruth, 9/29/11

by AnnieR on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 08:55:29 AM PST

•  I'm sorry this happened to you. (3+ / 0-)
        Ahianne, AnnieR, Cassandra Waites

3.3 million Texans voted for Obama in 2012....give us a break!.

by mkoz on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 10:53:19 AM PST

•  My second child was in a position that made it (0+ / 0-)

Impossible to see his entire spine with a regular ultra sound, so I was s offered the procedure.  I'm have diabetes and was told spinal bifida was a problem for women with my medical problems.  I'd do it again ina heartbeat, but it was rough.

by AnnieR on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 03:37:04 PM PST

•  It's hard to type on a tablet - need a keyboard! (0+ / 0-)

by AnnieR on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 03:38:25 PM PST