View Diary: Texas teacher pours pencil shavings into student's mouth (233 comments)

•  Nah. Send the kid to the office. (22+ / 0-)

NEVER NEVER NEVER use physical punishment, much less verbal punishment.

Teacher should be fired.

Ugh. --UB.

"Daddy, every time a bell rings, a Libertaria­n picks up his Pan Am tickets for the Libertaria­n Paradise of East Somalia!"

by unclebucky on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 02:54:47 PM PST

•  Or send the kid to the nurse's office (15+ / 0-)

if the school actually has a nurse on duty, and s/he can call the kid's parents and make sure a doctor's appointment is scheduled to make sure there's not a medical issue (if the kid was disabled, could be a med had drowsiness as a side effect).

by Cali Scribe on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 05:16:25 PM PST

•  it's Texas, physical punishment is likely OK (7+ / 0-)

by both State and School rules.  Not justifying it at all, but it's still VERY common in southern states and accepted  - you might have to sign a permission form in some places, but for many it's just part of the culture.

I lost 3 years of education moving from a DoD Gifted school in Germany to a "good" public school in Alabama.

4th grade teacher did NOT like me.  Put me in remedial group everything in her class and paid other kids not to play with me at recess.  I got myself in the Gifted program (1 day a week) just to get away from her. I was still in remedial everything in her class the entire year. She also took off Civics grade points for anyone who did not attend church weekly.

5th grade teacher was senile and forcibly retired at the end of the year.  When we yelled "Surprise!" at the party we planned for her (with help from school and staff) she went for the paddle and started swinging at our HEADS until other teachers could stop her. She bruised several of us up over the year for minor infractions and broke one kids hand slamming the paddle down on it because he was drumming his fingers.

6th grade teacher simply didn't teach. She sat at her desk reading catalogs and gave us busy work - and picked out kids to mock. When one of my friends (from Gifted program who went to a different school) died - she made me stand up at my desk whenever I was clearly upset and encouraged the class to laugh. "Laugh at the baby! Never seen anyone dead before!  Everyone laugh now!"

This was a well regarded public school in a "white" neighbourhood - and my parents signed the beat your kid slip every year.  I also got it again when I got home - because "If the teacher hit you, you deserve to be hit."

It's part of the culture to allow and even encourage physical abuse.

And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

by Mortifyd on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 07:18:53 PM PST

•  Yeah, these says parents can sign a consent form (7+ / 0-)

- and only certain schools still do it, but the option is left up to the parents when the child is enrolled whether physical punishment is ever to be used.

Worst I ever got was in 2nd grade when my teacher whacked my desk (not me) with a ruler when I dozed off.  "Naptime is for kindergartners" she'd always tell us.  (Boy, turns out everyone was wrong on that one.  Naptime is for everyone, even adults!)

The Cake is a lie. In Pie there is Truth. ~ Fordmandalay

by catwho on Thu Feb 21, 2013 at 07:53:30 PM PST

•  Do the forms include checkboxes for the allowed (1+ / 0-)
          Nattiq

level of force such as whether smacks to the face can be closed fisted and whether or not broken bones are allowed?

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 03:28:44 AM PST

•  I'm not sure (0+ / 0-)

When I was in elementary school, corporal punishment was only administered in the principal's office (so, any offense that earned it was already serious to begin with) and as far as we know, a wooden paddle on the backside was the instrument of choice.  (We embellished it, like "it has nails or spikes on it!" but in reality it was just a plain wooden paddle that had likely been there for a hundred years.)

I never misbehaved seriously enough to warrant that punishment, nor did any of my friends.

The Cake is a lie. In Pie there is Truth. ~ Fordmandalay

by catwho on Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 08:57:55 AM PST

•  I dunno about you, but..... (0+ / 0-)

All I can say is if your father had tried to hit me, especially if he tried to justify it.....well, let's just say that, one day, I'd find a way to get some revenge.....and no, I'm not kidding, either.

•  My dad is a Nightstalker. (1+ / 0-)
          BlackSheep1

One of the first, actually.  A very brave and dangerous man who sacrificed his best years to this country.

He's also a paranoid, elderly cat lady.

So I have no reason to bother with revenge when I see him every morning tottering around after his cats and talking constantly about his glory days - because he will die soon.

And then I won't have a father anymore.  So fuck you very much.

by Mortifyd on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 10:23:44 AM PST

•  Then please accept my apology. (1+ / 0-)
            Mortifyd

I'm sorry. I guess I just have a really low tolerance for that kinda thing, you know, justifying smacking someone around just because they got punished at school.(I grew up in a somewhat dysfunctional family setting, btw. Too much to explain in one comment, though).

•  I do understand what you mean. And I accept. (1+ / 0-)
              Mrs M

To see my handsome warrior father reduced to a frail OLD paranoid cat lady just kills me inside a little every day.

by Mortifyd on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 03:36:59 PM PST