View Diary: Carville NAILS IT: "It sounds stupid and cruel, it's a Republican thing." (76 comments)

•  Not if you are a public figure and you are married (8+ / 0-)

to someone who's every pronouncement is a direct contradiction to what you say you believe.  When he says that if it is stupid and cruel, it is Republican, means that he thinks his wife is stupid and cruel.  It is a big joke to them ans they stir the pot of scorched earth punditry and collect their big fees.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 01:03:09 PM PST

•  Bull pucky. (2+ / 0-)
      elwior, Lilredhead

Public figure or not, last time I looked you were entitled to marry the person you wished to marry, and entitled to try to make that marriage work.

This is like the crap that goes on here about Andrea Mitchell.  I say if you don't like the job she does, then speak up on that, but don't hang her husband around her neck.

Seems to me we Democrats were screaming bloody murder when the republicans impeached Bill Clinton over his personal life, saying that's none of anyone's business.  You can't have it both ways.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Fri Feb 22, 2013 at 08:15:13 PM PST

•  So it is OK for the wife of Clarence Thomas to get (0+ / 0-)

hundreds of thousands of dollars from Conservative sources to advance her conservative agenda and enrich the Thomas household because after all, he is entitled to marry her?

If NBC started every Andrea Mitchell broadcast with a disclaimer the she was married to the former Fed Chief which may affect her views as expressed on this program, I would be OK with that.

As for the Clinton impeachment, nothing about the impeachment process had to do with policy and political philosophy, it had to do with salacious sex which is different from politics.  With Carville/Matalin, Mitchell, and the Thomas's, it is all about politics and political philosophy in their public positions as opposed to what is truly private in a marriage.  To me, there is a difference.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 08:40:57 AM PST

•  The Clarence Thomas (0+ / 0-)

thing is irrelevant to the point I was making. Hell, Bill Clinton enriched his Democratic household plenty when his wife was secretary of state.

Same thing goes for your idea that Andrea Mitchell should have a disclaimer as to who she's married to.  Do you think that Hillary should have had a disclaimer because she's married to Bill?  I don't think who one is married to should be hung around anyone's neck in politics.  My husband and I agree on a lot, but not everything and I wouldn't want anyone assuming I speak for him instead of my own ideas---it's really pretty sexist.

And what are you saying when you judge the Carville/Matalin union as all about "politics and the political philosophy?" Do you know them personally? Do you hang out at their house and get to observe their marriage? And why the hell aren't they entitled to a personal life outside political judgement---not that they'll ever be granted that. Obviously. Which is where this whole thing began and I'd say it's probably time to just agree to disagree.

by StellaRay on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 10:48:39 AM PST

•  I think we will have to agree to disagree but with (0+ / 0-)

that point about the Clintons, do you really think that there is anyone in the free world or beyond who doesn't know that Hillary is married to Bill?

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 10:05:36 PM PST

•  What does that have to do with this discussion? (0+ / 0-)

by StellaRay on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 10:31:19 PM PST

•  Oh wait, I think I'm getting it. (0+ / 0-)

You're saying that because everyone knows Hillary is married to Bill, she doesn't need a disclaimer.

You totally miss or dismiss my point that no one, woman or man, should be insulted with a disclaimer because of who she  or he is married to.

This whole idea of yours that people should be labeled according to their spouses is particularly troublesome for women, who are still struggling to take their rightful and equal place in this country, despite what their husbands, fathers or brothers think.

by StellaRay on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 10:49:13 PM PST

•  Meh. Much as CarvilleMatalin annoy, now and then (2+ / 0-)
      elwior, chmood

Carville has insight or a great quip.