View Diary: ACTION ALERT: Teacher who poured pencil shavings into student's mouth must be fired (55 comments)

•  He could have choked (14+ / 0-)

And something like this borders on assault--all proves that she has no business being in a classroom.

The NRA's response to calls for responsible gun law reform: noun, verb, Second Amendment

by Christian Dem in NC on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 08:19:23 AM PST

•  I'll give you that and go further... (1+ / 0-)
      doc2

technically, it is assault.  But technically alot of things are assualt.  If we demand a person to be fired at every little mistake the none of us would be working--admit it, we all make mistakes.  The teacher stupidly took advantage of a sleeping kid to make a point.  Everyone lived.

The more you learn the less you know.

by quiet in NC on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 08:26:16 AM PST

•  But I just punched my coworker in the face* and (8+ / 0-)

I admit it was a mistake, so why should I be fired? technically, it is assault.  But technically alot of things are assualt.  If we demand a person to be fired at every little mistake the none of us would be working--admit it, we all make mistakes.

*I did not actually punch anyone, but your argument works just as well for punching a coworker in the face.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 08:43:05 AM PST

•  well, let's take it to the extreme here (6+ / 0-)

I will do it because taking something to the absurd is one of my few talents:

"I just shot my supervisor 17 times.  I admit it was a mistake, so why should I be fired? technically, it is assault.  But technically a lot of things are assault.  If we demand a person to be fired at every little mistake the none of us would be working--admit it, we all make mistakes."

•  Excellent. n/t (3+ / 0-)
            The Marti, Nattiq, Avilyn

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 09:00:08 AM PST

•  disagree this was not a little mistake (1+ / 0-)
            BlackSheep1

calling it a mistake or little is taking it to the extreme in the other way imo.

this child was MOCKED by a teacher in front of other students. This is an "ok" to students that this student can be targetted and that it's funny. Especially if he is not fired.

Now all the students will feel free to target him with "jokes" like dumping his books etc.

Those of you who can't seem to understand how this would have felt to the kid (his year is likely ruined socially) must have had a relatively easy time in school socially or were not scarred by it. Some people are in fact scarred for life by school bullying.

the teacher led the way. Teacher is suppose to protect this disabled (ie vulnerable) student. What a collosal betrayal.

•  you do realize that what I posted was snark (0+ / 0-)

and was cut and pasted from another poster's comments with edits by myself?

•  I didn' t question that possibility (0+ / 0-)

until after I posted sorry. I wish there was a way we cold deleate comments (generally).

I read the whole thing twice it was hard to follow. I realized later the conversation went on hours ago. I'll do a better job at checking times so I dont jump into an old conversation...it's too hard to follow sometimes.

•  no problem; at times my snark is a bit esoteric (0+ / 0-)

and given problems I have at times with comprehension it is hard to follow me at those times.  To follow it, you had to have followed the whole thread and realized it was all snark, with my piggybacking on a previous bit of snark.

My bad for not being clearer

•  I respectfully disagree... (3+ / 0-)
        historys mysteries, gffish, jplanner

the teacher made a choice not a mistake. If I turn on the wrong street, that is a mistake in judgement. Demeaning and hurting another individual shows cruelty...not a mistake. I wouldn't want that teacher around any of my children. I think the teacher should be fired!

•  all or nothing argument "every little mistake" (0+ / 0-)

this wasn't in the catagory of mistake...
        and it wasn't little.

•  do you have kids in that school? (4+ / 0-)
      litho, cardinal, quiet in NC, Whatithink

Do you even live in that state? Why do you think that you need to get involved? This school district has lots of stakeholders - students, parents, teachers, administrators, lawyers. They collectively can and should figure this out. Not a bunch of people who read about the incident on a blog who feel that their opinions should trump all the others.

•  Protecting children is something (10+ / 0-)

that doesn't cross a state or district line.

by Christian Dem in NC on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 09:14:44 AM PST

•  So the parents, teachers, admins, etc (1+ / 0-)
          Whatithink

that actually have real knowledge of this situation are all unequipped to deal with the situation properly, right? This blog is needed to swoop down and mete out justice, because we read about the story and know everything and we know that this teacher must be fired no matter what her superiors say. The suspension wasn't enough, we are all-knowing and we random bloggers insist that her career end right now. Right. Very progressive of you.

How about we let justice be determined by those actually involved in the situation?

•  You could say the same thing about Zimmerman, let (7+ / 0-)

the family and their lawyers sort it out.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 09:19:50 AM PST

•  No. One is a murder which is handled (2+ / 0-)
          Whatithink, a2nite

by the criminal justice system. And they're handling it. The other is a problem in a local school district. It is not our place to say what should be done to the teacher. I know nothing of this teacher's history, or of what happened that day exactly. I don't trust newspaper accounts enough to ruin somebody's life over it, do you?

•  Except that the criminal justice system decided (0+ / 0-)

there was nothing to handle until the meddling public got involved.  So just let the Trayvon's family handle it privately.

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Sat Feb 23, 2013 at 05:13:55 PM PST

•  kid probably thinks his life is ruined (0+ / 0-)

and I worry other kids will be left in same space with this teacher  unless her learned something from his mistake.

Maybe he needs a suspension at least. His 'punishment" seems light and as if he doesn't get the emotional harm he caused.

yet you are right about us not knowing the details for sure because newspaper accounts can get it wrong. That is the one problem for me.

•  And you claim that you weren't (2+ / 0-)
        ssgbryan, RUNDOWN

defending the teacher on the diary on Thursday.

•  No, and I'm not defending her now. (0+ / 0-)

Her action was disgusting. But she is a public employee, and there is a chain of command. I do not think that any of us here is qualified to render a judgment on her. I'm taking a principled stand, not defending her actions. The whole idea of petitioning the school district to reverse their decision and fire not only the teacher but the principal as well is counter to everything I believe in.

•  I don't think the diarist thinks his/her opinion (0+ / 0-)

should trump others.
        My belief is diarist thinks other's opinions should be counted since it is an abuse of the child.

I do see your point though. I wish I didn't call for rec'd it.

See this child was mocked by a teacher...who is supposed to be helping/supporting him. He did it in front of the class so they all know that this disabled student is an ok target. Teacher did it probably for laughs from the class at disabled students expense. It is dispicable. He lacked impulse control. Unless he can show he learned something from this and really gets the emotional harm he has likely caused he should not work as a teacher IMO.

I wonder why some of us say "what's the harm it was a mistake" and others are horrified. Maybe it has to do with our own experiences in school or those of our kids.