View Diary: Books That Changed My Life--Which book was so far over your head you almost didn’t come up? (254 comments)

•  Wow, after the first 100 pages, what happened? (14+ / 0-)

Did you sustain a mental earthquake? :)

I've got a book called How to Solve It, about mathematics.  My younger son was told about it during a flight from California to Washington, DC.  It sounded so intriguing I ordered a copy.  Couldn't read past the first few pages, but I wish I could.  I want my four-year-old granddaughter to grow up liking math.

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."--Napoleon

by Diana in NoVa on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 05:36:27 AM PST

•  Play games with her! (19+ / 0-)

The best way to instill a love and understanding of math in a child is to play games with him or her.  Chutes and Ladders, Uncle Wiggly, Crazy Eights, Slap Jack, all teach some very basic math fundamentals while you are having all that fun.  "Girl" Legos (the pretty pink and purple ones) can instill inherent understanding of spatial relationships critical to later math comprehension that only boys enjoyed until recently. Yay! "Girl" Legos!

If you can find a book called "Math Their Way" (the pre-K edition) you will find TONS of ideas for games you can make and play with her that will instill a very good comprehension of the concept of number.  Kids love playing homemade games!  I used to use this when I taught Kindergarten because it was so hands-on.  The very best way to teach concepts is contextual and playing games provides the context!

Sorry to hijack...but you got me all excited about girls and math education.  I'll have another biscotti and calm down.  LOL.

Metaphors be with you.

by koosah on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 06:24:44 AM PST

•  I love how excited you got about girls and math! (4+ / 0-)
        koosah, suesue, dewtx, oceanview

But I'm compelled to say that I despise Chutes and Ladders. It's such a heavy handed judgment on behavior.

Poverty = politics.

by Renee on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 07:11:53 AM PST

•  Well...any game that uses counting will (5+ / 0-)

work.  I find Candy Land to be paralyzingly boring, myself.  And Sorry can be a bit Ayn Randian...it rewards selfishness.  It sure was fun sending my brothers all the way back to their "homes," though!

Many of the jumping rope songs and hand-clapping/slapping games that girls love involve some basic math too.  All it needs is for a "teacher" to emphasize and validate the concepts.  Math doesn't have to be boring!  (Until college, at least.  Heh.)

Metaphors be with you.

by koosah on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 07:23:38 AM PST

•  I put the squeeze on my young boys (8+ / 0-)

Math is the only thing I'm a "stage dad" about. I've watched other fathers push towards sports but, to me, if they decide they want to compete at baseball/soccer/basketball it's up to them (football, like boxing, will encounter resistance).

I told them that before they get a video game they have to decide to be good at something and something real (music, sports, serious reading/writing). Math, however, is not an option. After some fighting the older boy has decided he likes being ahead of his class and studying with the 4th graders but he has the natural inclination to slack. However ... I'm not letting up. Math, even more than music, is important going forward.

It's going to be a rough world in the future. It always is but I doubt my kids are going to have the long lazy luxury of the late 20th century in the USA.

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 07:34:25 AM PST

•  wish you were my kindergarten teacher (6+ / 0-)
    •  How to Solve it. (5+ / 0-)

That's the 19th century primer for teachers? If so I read some of it on a plane. It's very good but you need the basics of calculus. Have not finished it (of course)

With Penrose when he gets into Clifford Algebras and beyond he starts leaning really heavily - entirely - on the math. It turns into a very steep climb. It was hands down the best description of imaginary numbers I've encountered which is great. I'm starting to pick up some of the deeper concepts but have always been pretty sloppy where algebra is concerned so ... I better stick to programming which is an algebra of sorts.

If you didn't like the news today, go out and make some of your own.

by jgnyc on Fri Mar 01, 2013 at 07:27:31 AM PST

•  jgnyc--I'm speechless (7+ / 0-)
        It turns into a very steep climb. It was hands down the best description of imaginary numbers I've encountered which is great. I'm starting to pick up some of the deeper concepts but have always been pretty sloppy where algebra is concerned...
        You're far, far ahead of me, my friend.  Hats off to you!  :)

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."--Napoleon