View Diary: American Businesses Are Criminally Lazy (8 comments)

•  Homer - lazy? (3+ / 0-)
    FG, Patrick Costighan, Neuroptimalian

Without debating the merits of your arguments, I don't think they have anything whatsoever to do with laziness.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 08:25:11 AM PST

•  What would you call it then? (1+ / 0-)
      FloridaSNMOM

We hear 'business people' bitch all the time about how there's a shortage of skilled workers. Bullshit. The only reason they're saying that is because they don't want to pay those same workers a decent wage.

Businesses nowadays will do as little as they can get away with, hence why I called them lazy. And criminal.

I write a series called 'My Life as an Aspie', documenting my experiences before and after my A.S. diagnosis as a way to help fellow Aspies and parents of Aspies and spread awareness. If I help just one person by doing this, then I've served a purpose.

by Homer177 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 08:34:49 AM PST

•  Homer - my experience is that senior executives (1+ / 0-)
        Neuroptimalian

at Fortune 1000 companies work very hard. The result of that effort may not benefit US workers, but they aren't lazy. It may be that in your view their efforts should not be legal, but they are except in a few circumstances. While it is tragic for US workers there is nothing illegal about off-shoring jobs. What to call all this is challenging.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 10:35:26 AM PST

•  That's exactly the point. (0+ / 0-)

And no one is willing to address it. Senior execs may work hard, but that doesn't justify the wage theft or pension theft that's happened over the last three decades.

There's no excuse for destroying entire communities just so the shareholders can have a few more bucks in their dividend checks. Until Democrats and generally left-wing folks get off of their asses and realize exactly what we've lost, we will continue to lose.

Occupy Wall Street didn't go far enough. Wall Street should be overthrown.

by Homer177 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 10:44:41 AM PST

•  If Wall Street should ever be overthrown, ... (0+ / 0-)

then it WILL be "every man for himself" and it won't be at all pretty.  Reform is the answer, not destruction.

The problems, and resulting frustration, you're experiencing have nothing to do with Wall Street and everything to do with your unfortunate inability to gain experience that employers would be willing to compensate you for.  That's why so many people have suggested volunteering.  If you're still doing that, while closely monitoring craigslist and local newspaper ads (FORGET monster.com and the like), you will be able to parley your experience into an income.

Also, try 211.org; I hear they have lots of resources.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 03:05:12 PM PST

•  I already volunteer. (1+ / 0-)
              Neuroptimalian

I've been at the place where I'm volunteering for close to 6 months now and will continue to do so.

As for craigslist, I don't trust them any more than Monster, Indeed or CareerBuilder.

by Homer177 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 03:26:11 PM PST

•  As with anything, ... (0+ / 0-)

one has to be careful with Craigslist, but it IS a place that legitimate employers (small ones, usually) will post who don't want to pay the huge fees that Monster and the like charge.

by Neuroptimalian on Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 05:52:09 PM PST