View Diary: Man Wearing 'Occupy Everything' Jacket Arrested At First Amendment-Free Zone In SCOTUS Building (222 comments)

•  OK, then ... (1+ / 0-)
    JamesGG

Why are not crosses and the like barred?  A cross is certainly a "device designed or adapted to bring into public notice a party, organization, or movement." (specifically Christianity)

“What’s the use of having developed a science well enough to make predictions if, in the end, all we’re willing to do is stand around and wait for them to come true?” - Sherwood Rowland

by jrooth on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 11:56:48 AM PST

•  Depending on the size of the cross... (1+ / 0-)
      Smoh

...or the religious messaging it carries, I think it could run afoul of that rule.

A little cross around someone's neck, I don't think would be an issue; an overtly proselytizing message might be, depending on the situation and nature of the message.

It might also be argued that a cross is a form of religious clothing, like a hijab or a priest's collar, in which case it would be permitted under the free exercise clause. If I'd gone to the Supreme Court on Ash Wednesday, should I have been required to scrub the ashes off of my forehead?

by JamesGG on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 12:02:55 PM PST

•  Wait ... the free exercise clause has more force (1+ / 0-)
        JamesGG

than the free speech and assembly clauses?

And yes.  If this guy can't have a message on his jacket, you shouldn't get to have a message on your forehead.

by jrooth on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 12:09:22 PM PST

•  What's the alternative? (1+ / 0-)
          Smoh

Would you suggest that observant Muslim women must remove their hijabs to enter the Supreme Court building, or observant Jewish men their yarmulkes, forcing them to choose between transgressing their deeply-held religious customs or being barred entry to the Supreme Court building?

by JamesGG on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 12:12:28 PM PST

•  No, my suggestion you may recall (1+ / 0-)
            JamesGG

is to allow printed messages on clothing.

by jrooth on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 12:17:59 PM PST

•  I think we disagree on where that would lead... (2+ / 0-)
              jrooth, Smoh

...and since neither of us can really present any evidence for our hypothetical scenarios, there's not a lot more we can say here. Thanks for the discussion.

by JamesGG on Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 12:39:12 PM PST