View Diary: Happy Birthday, Glenn Greenwald! (266 comments)

•  The fringe: In 1850, it was the abolitionists;... (15+ / 0-)

...in 1900, it was the suffragists; in 1920, it was the unionists; in 1940, it was the integrationists; in 1960, it was the feminists; in 1965, it was the Vietnam War foes; in 1975, it was the supporters of solar and wind energy; in 1990, it was the climate change scientists; in 2000, it was the gay equality activists; in 2005, it was the anti-plutocrats.

Proud to stand in solidarity with the fringe. Expel me if you think you can.

by Meteor Blades on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 08:59:29 PM PST

•  Problem is MB (5+ / 0-)

They think we can be defined and they are allowed  to define.

What amuses me is that those that attempt to define don't understand that beibg compared to the worst evil their small mainds can comprehend are not insults but compliments. Compare me to Chavez make me smile.

CHE!!!

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 09:08:47 PM PST

•  now the fringe (7+ / 0-)

Is anyone who is to the left of John Yoo.

It's a really big fringe they want to purge.  All that'll be left of the party will be Obama, Mark Warner and Amy Klobuchar.  And legions of "both sides are to blame" beltway insiders like Joe Klien and the Moustache of Understanding.

And that, if it happens, will be fine with me.  I'm just about over them too.

•  of course the fringe is not always right (0+ / 0-)

if one wishes to be different merely to be different that's up to them but being different or the minority or the majority does not inherently make one right.

just saying

In the time that I have been given,
      I am what I am

by duhban on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:36:00 PM PST

•  C'mon (1+ / 0-)
        poligirl

Give it up find  somewhere that people are buying bullshit. Every poll says you and your buddies are in the minority. Oh and that includes the preznit and no matter how many speeches are made stealing from SSI for some fake deficit aint gonna work and no matter how much you cheer meet the R preznit in 16

There are no sacred cows.

by LaEscapee on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 10:46:32 PM PST

•  if you look at the sum total of my comments here (0+ / 0-)

in this diary I have made 3

1 wishing Greenwald a happy birthday and Colorado luck in overcoming her fear of flying, 1 to walt asking him to let you all have your party and then this one to Meteor Blades

None of them meant anything other then what they said so I think you're reading entirely too much into this comment and I certainly don't know whom you mean by 'your buddies' but you sound rather enraged even over text.

You might want to work on that, anger is not really healthy or good for you

In the time that I have been given,
          I am what I am

by duhban on Wed Mar 06, 2013 at 11:09:38 PM PST

•  Of those I listed, which do you... (7+ / 0-)

...think were (or are) comprised of people who wish(ed) to be different for the sake of being different? It is always easy to stand up for what's right after the fact.

Sure, fringes can be wrong, at least some of the time.  Majorities can be wrong, too, as were (and, in some cases, still are) majorities on Prohibition, slavery, women as inferior and not worthy of equal treatment, likewise the inferiority of non-whites, opposition to unions, opposition to integration, support for numerous Cold War policies that produced millions of deaths in war and and CIA engineered coups and made common cause with monsters while calling those opposing these policies "traitors," opposition to gay civil rights, opposition to taking action to reduce the impact of global warming.

Who is wrong today? Those who back institutionalized authoritarian state policies and the ever more upward redistribution of wealth from the have-littles to the have-lots. Or those who oppose them?

Those who say we are fucking ourselves (assuming we're not already fucked) if we keep burning fossil fuels as if doing so were just another optional arrangement like what night to do the Oscars? Or those seek to burn even more of the worldwide and who don't care how much destruction of land, air, water and health that doing so entails?

Those who say we continue to need a military that gobbles down more taxpayer dough than the next 16 nations combined and arms itself with weapons that would have been fantastic if the Cold War had gone hot in a non-nuclear way but today might as well be ultra-expensive party favors given the actual threats to national security? Or those who say the Pentagon budget needs to be sharply reduced from its current above-Cold War average and a big batch of those 800 to 1,000 overseas bases dismantled?

by Meteor Blades on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 12:08:03 AM PST

•  I think the concept of 'being right' is a tricky (0+ / 0-)

one and frankly a dangerous one. Humanity has done more bad in the name of 'being right' then in the name of 'well we could be right'. Thus personally I prefer to air on the side of caution and self doubt no matter what. Which is why I made sure to say being in the minority or majority is no gurantee for anything.

In the end all I think we really can do is be who we are and put forth an honest effort.But while putting forth that effort let's remember that the world isn't binary, few issues are absolutely black and white. That's all I meant by that.

In the time that I have been given,
          I am what I am

by duhban on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 12:39:34 AM PST

•  Not all issues are black and white. A great many (3+ / 0-)
            angel d, poligirl, TheMomCat

ARE.

Those who wish to convince you to do evil usually start by trying to convince you you're not fit to tell right from wrong, rather than by trying to persuade you of the rightness of their positions through reason.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:37:49 AM PST

•  sorry I'm not going to agree to that (0+ / 0-)

if anything I think it's the opposite, rarely are the issues strictly black and white

In the time that I have been given,