View Diary: Why DC barely saw snow, but 6 miles away they got buried. (73 comments)

•  Not to mention that the entire city of Seattle (15+ / 0-)

comes to an standstill as most of the population points to the sky and screams in horror "SNOWFLAKE!"

The city is almost completely unprepared to deal with snowfall.

•  . (3+ / 0-)
      kovie, wader, mlharges

there were 3 inches of snow and ice a few years ago when I landed in Seattle after being turned away the night before due to 'weather'.  The drive from the airport to south sound was the worst road conditions I had ever had to deal with and I had lived in the midwest for a long time previously (Chicago, Indy, Cleveland).

"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling the money and its issuance." -James Madison

by FreeTradeIsYourEpitaph on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 05:45:32 AM PST

•  It's all about preparedness (3+ / 0-)

I'm in Chicago and earlier this winter we had a morning rush hour storm with maybe 2 inches of snow, but Rahm hadn't figured out you need to get the plows prepositioned so when I drove in the roads were basically untreated.

I might as well have been in Dallas in a blizzard. It was ridiculous.  The only reason dozens didn't die from crashes is that we're used to driving in bad weather.

By 10:00am the roads might as well have been dry and clear, but early in the morning it was a mess.

"Don't be defeatist, dear. It's very middle class." - Violet Crawley

by nightsweat on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 06:31:46 AM PST

•  . (0+ / 0-)

I honestly find it weird the chicago elected him Mayor.  The last really awful drive I remember when my parents lived in the burbs of chicago (hinsdale, Dad worked downtown as a federal trade specialist with dept of commerce thus my econ focus) was driving back to college at Purdue in W. Lafayette after the x-mas holidays.  It was 5-10 below zero with about 18 inches of snow but the roads had been cleared, I had to thaw out my radiator with a hair dryer as the antifreeze had frozen, got that going okay and started driving to I-65.
          Around Gary, IN my heater froze and stopped working ... highway was clear but ended up driving (2 of us) with the windows down most of the way because the windows were icing from our breath inside the car and keeping the windows down kept the ice formation down.
          Needless to say it was the coldest drive ever ... but the roads were clear.
          Later that year we had -69 with windchill for a week in Indiana, it was warmer in Alaska than there.

by FreeTradeIsYourEpitaph on Sat Mar 09, 2013 at 07:03:01 AM PST

•  My nephew lived (4+ / 0-)
      Ice Blue, Khun David, BachFan, mlharges

in MI all his life until moving to Seattle. His first winter there, they had a "snowstorm" that deposited a couple of inches of snow overnight. He proceeded to drive to work--no big deal. He was a little surprised to see no plows or salt trucks, and barely any traffic at all.

He was the only guy at his workplace who showed up that morning. His coworkers were astounded that anyone would even attempt, much less succeed, at driving in such horrible weather conditions.

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 06:26:57 AM PST

•  Once in SW Michigan (2+ / 0-)
        happy camper, mlharges

on the 6 PM news the weather guys forecast flurries overnight.  By 11, it was a possible light dusting, maybe as much as an inch in spots.

We woke up to eleven inches.

With those lake effect snows they just can't predict who's going to get how much.

Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.--Sam Rayburn

by Ice Blue on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 07:25:09 AM PST

•  I was in Everett from '05 to '07 and one (2+ / 0-)
      Ice Blue, mlharges

winter not only brought a decent amount of snow, but it kept melting and refreezing. I lived just off Evergreen Way, a major thoroughfare, and it was a sheet of ice. Being from Chicago, and having lived in NY, MA, and RI previously, I was okay with driving on snow--but nobody likes to drive on ice. The city of Everett apparently felt that if they closed their eyes and wished real hard, there would be no problem.

•  my dad (1+ / 0-)
      mlharges

a Vermonter, went to school at UWash for a year.  He said he was amazed at how the city shut down when an inch of snow fell down.

It's about time I changed my signature.

by Khun David on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:09:50 AM PST