View Diary: House funding bill prevents cutoff of Saturday mail delivery (31 comments)

•  I would much rather have 2 or 3 days of (1+ / 0-)
    Aunt Pat

postal service cut and put our limited human and financial resources to much better use, say, increasing funding/incentives for energy conservation.

It may be a generational thing but 6 days a week for mail is serious overkill that is actually not environmentally friendly, cost beneficial or desired by a majority of the citizens.  If the argument is the USPS is a jobs program then we should find much better things to do than have yet another day of mail delivery.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. Albert Einstein

by theotherside on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:09:23 AM PST

•  Perhaps it is a generational thing. (7+ / 0-)
      Matilda, JesseCW, myboo, mmacdDE, kefauver, fumie, avsp

I admit that I am older than dirt so that may be part of my hope that the USPD continues to provide the services it does and is allowed to add new services.  I have not signed up for paying my few bills online as my internet access is unreliable.  I don't need the stress of being concerned about if I can pay on time.  Also my grandsons live half way across the country and I send them monthly cards and small gifts throughout the year.  A thing I could not afford to do through Fed EX or other private companies.  My daughter does all her banking online and communicates through Facebook, etc.  Also there are many rural areas in this country that would greatly suffer without postal service.  Private companies will not deliver to those unprofitable areas and in fact use the USPS for delivery on the "last leg" of their delivery services.

Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't.... (then it's on to Plan B or more duct tape).

by Aunt Pat on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:38:26 AM PST

•  You don't have to be in the boonies (5+ / 0-)
        kefauver, fumie, avsp, congenitalefty, Aunt Pat

for FedEx and UPS to use the mail.

I'm not, though I'm not in a major city. I'm off a main highway, in a decently sized small city, in a densely populated area of the country.

Just about everything I've ordered lately starts out FedEx or UPS, but it gets delivered to the door by the mailman.

The only things that don't are high ticket items, larger packages, or things that require a signature.

Everything else? USPS does the last leg. It lets things get delivered on Saturday without those outrageous Saturday delivery fees that FedEx/UPS charge.

FedEx and UPS would be screwed if the USPS went away. Seriously screwed. And so would most of the country.

•  I guess you don't have to worry about getting (7+ / 0-)

a check two days sooner.

Some folks do.

Privilege takes many forms.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:42:00 AM PST

•  You don't really want that. Checks and money... (8+ / 0-)

orders flow through the mail everyday as well as merchandise! You take out 2-3 out of the postal service and you will see another slowdown in how fast money moves through the economy. Yes, electronic fund transfers (EFT) and credit card transactions are happening more often. However, you're at least a generation off before being able to implement a complete electronic process.

Another issue. Those of us with small businesses receive Purchase Orders with corporate credit card info via the USPS. If my company receives such on a Saturday, we process it that Saturday. Thus money has been put into the economy faster because Saturday was available. The post office is a government agency. As such, it's not a profit driven private business. It's a constitutionally mandated service.

While not all republicans are bigots, all bigots are republicans.

by Maximilien Robespierre on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:44:10 AM PST

•  It also produces a profit (2+ / 0-)
        JesseCW, avsp

$900 million in 2006 before the pension funding law took effect.

I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business.

by CFAmick on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 10:09:44 AM PST

•  I'll assume for the moment that your 2006 (0+ / 0-)

figure is correct.  However, last year they ran a deficiti of, I believe $15 or $16 billion, and "only", I believe, $6 billion of that was due to the pension pre-funding requirement.  That was on, I believe, $65 billion worth of revenue.

I'll try to find the link for these figures because it was all in one article I read.  There is a chance though that the deficit due to pre-funding was $10 billion and not $6 billion.

by theotherside on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 10:53:46 AM PST

•  Looks like my memory was fairly spot on (0+ / 0-)

Here's the article that I was recalling.

So, since the operating deficit was around $10 billion last year, how would you propose to bring it into balance (we'll just assume that the pre-funding requirement is abolished)?  I favor a "balanced" approach.  Which means service cuts and possibly some rate hikes.  But you have to be careful about rate hikes because you don't want to destroy demand.

Anyway, as I've said before, cutting one day of service is a "no brainer" in my book and is far from what is needed as I believe that would only close 20 percent of the gap.

by theotherside on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 11:03:58 AM PST