View Diary: Flight attendants and air marshals protest TSA decision allowing small knives on flights (178 comments)

•  It always amused me that only Mid East Airlines (3+ / 0-)
    webranding, skod, ladybug53

like Emirates, Gulfair, Ethihad served their in flight meals with metal silverware.

Also it is interesting that it is possible to check in, clear customs, passport control etc in under 15 minutes in the UAE, Qatar, Bahrain etc.

•  It Is Strange (3+ / 0-)
      peterfallow, mungley, ladybug53

when I fly now it is out of St. Louis and usually to NYC, Boston,  or DC. Clearly St. Louis, Lambert isn't the size of those other airports. But I can get into the place and on my plane in literally minutes. It has taken me hours in those other cities. Hours and hours. Makes no sense to me.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:11:42 AM PST

•  I live in STL too and TSA can be hit or miss (2+ / 0-)
        webranding, Eyesbright

The east terminal isn't so bad, maybe the TSA puts most of their personnel there since Southwest is the airport's largest airline and that's where more people are, but I've had to wait a good half hour or more over in the A concourse in T1 where United and Delta are.

"How come when it’s us, it’s an abortion, and when it’s a chicken, it’s an omelette?" - George Carlin

by yg17 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:42:59 AM PST

•  Maybe It Is A Time Of Day Thing (0+ / 0-)

I am always like on the first flight out of the place. Early, early AM.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:47:25 AM PST

•  Yeah, that's why. Not many people (2+ / 0-)
            webranding, Eyesbright

are crazy enough to wake up at 3 AM for a flight ;)

But those early flights tend to be the cheapest. I know when I search on Kayak or whatever for a flight, I get all excited about how cheap the flight is until I look at the times.

by yg17 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:50:19 AM PST

•  In Hindsight That Might Be My Problem (0+ / 0-)

I always fly out of St. Louis as early as possible and fly back on the last flight. Wherever I am going I want to maximize my time there. Every second.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:54:30 AM PST

•  When I flew out of Korea, I was very politely (9+ / 0-)

asked to remove my shoes and I was provided with a pair of sandals and thanked when I was done.

When I got to LAX, I was screamed at by TSA assholes who berated people for not taking their shoes off fast enough.

I wanted to beat one of them down, but, of course, you can;t.

Stupid fucking fascist country.

Let us resolve to ensure NOTHING ever gets done correctly.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:21:46 AM PST

•  Those countries are not arming..... (0+ / 0-)

.....Israel. We are. I am not questioning the wisdom of that decision here. But I am saying that it makes us a target for those who wish to express their violent opposition to that policy.

If you hate government, don't run for office in that government.

by Bensdad on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 09:04:21 PM PST

•  Not true (2+ / 0-)
      ladybug53, bimbels

Quite a number of airlines use metal silverware. Some only in Business or First Class.

And I have a large collection of little teaspoons from Swissair to prove it; ever since I asked  a FA years ago if I could keep one and she said yes, it has become a hobby - they never refuse if you ask politely, and everyone loves the little spoons.

And clearing immigration and customs in many Asian airports in less than 15 minutes is common, depending on the traffic.

What about my Daughter's future?

by koNko on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 11:48:09 PM PST

• Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Education (18)
  • Freddie Gray (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site