View Diary: Flight attendants and air marshals protest TSA decision allowing small knives on flights (178 comments)

•  I've had to super duper (7+ / 0-)

wrap my beloved Temecula Olive Oil when I fly back from CA.  My bag is always opened.  Last time my second bag -- the size of a carryon was opened because I had put my great grandmother's cast iron pancake griddle in it -- to shield my nuclear weapon from detection, of course.

" My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:26:01 AM PST

•  Maybe I Should Stop Bitching (0+ / 0-)

cause it sounds like your experiences are 10x worse then anything I have dealt with. I might have flown 30 times since 9/11 and not had my bags opened once. Never pulled aside. Never felt up.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:36:58 AM PST

•  My bags are opened all the time. (2+ / 0-)

At least they leave a little note inside your bag to that effect, even if you find yourself wondering why you have one less pair of trousers than when you'd packed that bag in the morning.

•  The only place I got felt up was in Philly (1+ / 0-)
        webranding

I was wearing a Blues jersey and they said it was because the jersey was bulky clothing. Funny, because St. Louis TSA didn't have a problem with the jersey when I wore it when I flew out (hockey jerseys are surprisingly comfortable on planes and keep you warm in the winter). Not sure if it was TSA policy or the general Philly attitude towards fans of opposing teams.

But that's the only real "issue" I've had with TSA.

"How come when it’s us, it’s an abortion, and when it’s a chicken, it’s an omelette?" - George Carlin

by yg17 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 09:47:09 AM PST

•  Had a TSA agent teach me some packing tricks (1+ / 0-)
          ladybug53

I once asked how he'd get all that stuff back into a bag if it was packed to the gills and didn't want to go back in.

Two tricks:
          1) use the expansion zipper -- open it, put the stuff in, and then close it
          2) when folding your clothes, try to minimize the number of folds and keep the folds toward the outside edges of the bag.  Folds use up a lot of thickness and make it harder to get stuff in the bag.

'Bout the only use I ever had for TSA, though.

Happy little moron, Lucky little man.
          I wish I was a moron, MY GOD, Perhaps I am!
          —Spike Milligan

by polecat on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 10:31:06 AM PST

•  A tip I learned for packing was to roll your (2+ / 0-)
            polecat, ladybug53

clothes instead of folding them. It seems to work, I was able to fit a weeks worth of clothes in a carry on suitcase.

by yg17 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 11:03:24 AM PST

•  who knew TSA was good for packing tips? (1+ / 0-)
            ladybug53

I thought they only stole stuff.  The TSA is the most ridiculous and criminal branch of the federal government.

Nothing but a bunch of ignorant, stealin' mooches in uniform.

Security theater is right.

Oregon: Sure...it's cold. But it's a damp cold.

by Keith930 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 11:50:59 PM PST

•  They did the same to me in (1+ / 0-)
          ladybug53

Minneapolis/St. Paul

The thing about democracy, beloveds, is that it is not neat, orderly, or quiet. It requires a certain relish for confusion. Molly Ivins

by MufsMom on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 08:45:23 PM PST