View Diary: Single Payer in New York State (51 comments)

•  Good, individual insurance is very expensive in NY (5+ / 0-)
    4mygirls, elwior, weck, MRA NY, tardis10

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 02:04:08 PM PST

•  that's because insurance companies aren't (8+ / 0-)

allowed to sell JUNK insurance in New York, and they have to cover everything, including my uterus!

•  Are you saying that the insurance I bought in WA (2+ / 0-)
        elwior, johnny wurster

at a third the cost of what comparable insurance costs in NY was junk? I never got to use it, aside from optical, so I couldn't tell if it was junk or not.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 02:22:54 PM PST

•  it covers a lot more, for sure. (3+ / 0-)
          MRA NY, wader, kovie

and that means if you're not gonna use any of the bells and whistles you're paying a lot more for no extra benefit.

New York also had guaranteed issue, which jacked up rates.

•  Being pretty health and relatively young (2+ / 0-)
            elwior, MRA NY

unless I came down with something bad or had a bad injury, I'd mostly use it for annual checkups and the occasional ache or pain that warranted a doctor's evaluation. So yeah, I'm likely to underutilize.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 04:02:36 PM PST

•  I don't know if your insurance was junk, (7+ / 0-)

but I remember, during the time when the health care reform bill was wending its way through Congress, that we were treated to many, many horror stories here about people who couldn't get insured because of pre-existing conditions, people who were dropped by their insurer as soon as they made a claim, etc. That doesn't happen in NY.

It can be very expensive to buy health insurance here (I was just discussing this yesterday with a single, self-employed friend, who told me he's paying almost $20,000 year), but if you can afford it, they'll insure you.

by sidnora on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 04:19:10 PM PST

•  When I moved back to NY last summer from WA (2+ / 0-)
            elwior, sidnora

I had no idea insurance was so much more expensive here. When I lived there my insurance was pretty inexpensive, but then I had one of the lower end plans that had preventive plus catastrophic with not much in-between and didn't use it much, so I'll never know. But I don't recall reading about many health insurance horror stories in WA, which doesn't have a reputation for being a state where the little guy gets screwed, compared to say WI or MI these days. In any case, that's moot for me now, and I have to deal with expensive individual insurance here with the consolation that if I really need it, it'll be there for me according that what I've been told.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 07:06:43 PM PST

•  Sounds like a testimonial for standardization at (3+ / 0-)
              elwior, kovie, 4mygirls

the national level.

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Thu Mar 07, 2013 at 08:27:25 PM PST

•  Costs will never be the same nationwide (3+ / 0-)
                elwior, 4mygirls, sidnora

for various reasons, but neither are average incomes, so I suppose that some standardization in terms of average percentage share of income is called for. I have to believe that there's still massive room for lowering premiums, lowering overall health care costs, improving health care AND keeping the health care field a fairly well-paying one so we can attract top talent.

Part of this has to do with getting people to take better care of each other and making healthy food and lifestyles more easily available and affordable, part with cutting out the huge waste in health care and insurance and improving health care standards, and part in averaging things out nationally in one huge risk pool. It can be done on a practical level. It's the politics that's tough.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777