View Diary: Elderly woman dragged off of Miami Metro Rail (210 comments)

•  I have no idea of the details of your (1+ / 0-)
    raincrow

situation, so I have no idea.  It would depend greatly on the attorney and the firm.  I don't know what kind of application, what the circumstances, etc.  Or whether you suffered any monetary damages which could be recovered.  Or whether you sounded like a person an attorney would want to work with for months when you went in or whether you sounded like a demanding, obnoxious potential client that would make the attorney feel like s/he just landed in hell.  A lot of factors come into play.

by gustynpip on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:13:36 PM PST

•  keep digging! (2+ / 0-)
      Horace Boothroyd III, AnnieR

Your opinion and awareness of Transfolk and the crap that they face every day is noted.

The "extreme wing" of the Democratic Party is the wing that is hell-bent on protecting the banks and credit card companies. ~ Kos

by ozsea1 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:20:28 PM PST

•  Thank you. nt (1+ / 0-)
        AnnieR

"Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules" John Lennon - Working Class Hero

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:22:17 PM PST

•  Okay, my mind is now boggled. What. The. (9+ / 0-)

Hell. Does. Any. Of. This. Have. To. Do. With. Being. Transgendered?  A comment was made that suing the guard would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.  I said no, it would be done on a contingency basis.  The response was that "then why wasn't my case done on a contingency basis?"  And my response was that I didn't know anything about his case or know how he presented himself to the attorney, whether it was as someone the attorney would e want to work with or as someone who would likely be a pain in the ass.

Where in all that is there Anything to do with being transgendered?  I'm sorry, I've got to go take a pill and get back to some sense of reality here.  This, together with the poster who thinks that an old lady singing is such an affront to his right to silence that the guard shouldn't be criticized is just a tad more than I'm able to deal with.

by gustynpip on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:25:57 PM PST

•   (0+ / 0-)

by ozsea1 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:20:36 PM PST

•  Again? Now they've been noted twice. And I still (9+ / 0-)

have no idea where I gave any opinion of Transfolk - since I don't even have "an opinion" of Transfolk - my opinion of people are based on each person, not on some category they fall into.  If you're a Transgender and are a caring person, I'll probably think you're okay.  If you're a Transgender and act like a jerk towards others, I probably won't like you.

As for awareness of what they face every day - I've never claimed to and am sure I have absolutely no idea.  I would never try to pretend I could, even if some of my best friends were Transgenders.  Which as far as I know, they're not.

But what any of that has to do with my exchange here, I have no idea.  The closest I can come to guessing is that perhaps Horace is Transgender and thinks that's the reason the attorney or attorneys he spoke to refused to take his case and you think that my trying to explain some of the various factors that go into an attorney decided whether to take a case on a contingency basis . . .  Nope, I've lost whatever thread I had of how my explaining things attorneys look at in decided to take a case reveals my hatefulness towards anyone.

by gustynpip on Fri Mar 08, 2013 at 12:41:27 PM PST

•  As I'm sure all transgendered Kossacks are (1+ / 0-)
        rserven

aware, very few of us who are not Trans have any direct familiarity with people who are. Of course we don't know the crap you face every day.
        IANAL, either, but it does not seem surprising that even attorneys who would take cases involving other forms of discrimination might think they had no reasonable chance of success with a Trans discrimination case.

"Think of something to make the ridiculous look ridiculous." -- Molly Ivins

• Labor (23)
  • Environment (23)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Politics (21)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Police Brutality (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site