View Diary: Dkos Tour Series: The San Rafael Swell (That Should Be A National Monument) (51 comments)

•  confirmation. . . (2+ / 0-)
    high uintas, RiveroftheWest

for the earlier commentator asking whether or not yellow cake sites were in that region. There were AND there still are. These folks looking for the stuff don't care what the liability is doing it, because the government doesn't tend to get down on 'em, just complain like all the rest of us. I'm thinking the uranium mining folks should adopt that classic song "You Light Up My Life" and come out of the closet about what this stuff is really doing to people and the environment. As for the sample brought home. . .do you know what the first sighs of u-poisoning is? You should!

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 02:20:48 PM PDT

•  Oh yeah! (3+ / 0-)
      mrkvica, KenBee, RiveroftheWest

We figured it out quickly and made sure it's tight inside of glass and away from us. We are kind of stumped as to what to do with it, I don't want to just leave it lying around.

There are places there when you can see whole walls streaked with yellow. My first visits there were before I realized what a uranium lovers dream it was. Now, we are more careful.

On a lighter note, we climbed into a canyon that was littered with the stumps of a petrified forest! It was so awesome, huge trunks that looked like the left overs from a major forest fire. All rock. Amazing.

If you think about all that is there, from prehistoric to early man to small natural miracles like walls of geodes, the place must be protected.

One place I would like to visit is Black Dragon Canyon I always seem to be on the way to somewhere else when I go by it but I would love to check it out someday.

"The scientific nature of the ordinary man is to go on out and do the best you can." John Prine

by high uintas on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 03:45:00 PM PDT

•  your comment . . . (3+ / 0-)
        high uintas, KenBee, RiveroftheWest

about Black Dragon Canyon and the flying dragon glyph. Yep, that is a sight near. Fairly close to the river, if memory serves. It is especially a heightened experience when you're alone in the early winter, which was the last time I was there (many years ago). If I let my imagination run away with me, I could stand and look at some of the glyphs as though the artist behind the depiction right there. (And I never used dope of any kind! HA!). And you're right about yellow cake. . .can't tell you how many times kids on the Navajo res (near the sites) came down with awful illnesses, to say nothing of how many of the miners succumbed to their illnesses. Talk about a Marie Curie incident affecting 100s of people with that sickness. Anyway, thanks for posting the comment high uintas, and of course, the pitch for this diary is to do exactly what you just wrote: it must be protected! (Do you think the president is a lurker on the site and he might hear and see this message in person, as it were?)

by richholtzin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 03:52:20 PM PDT

•  Not the Pres (3+ / 0-)
          KenBee, JayDean, RiveroftheWest

I'm sure his people monitor it, but if we are to make progress we need to do two things IMO.

We need to raise our voices, call the White House and let them know how we feel.

We need to get the local people as on board as we can, show them the benefits. There are plenty of vultures who want to make them antagonistic to the idea. Our state is full of them.

I had a talk the other day with my state senator over education, he immediately started trying to convince me that all our problems would be solved if the Feds gave back all teh land they control! Yeah, great idea. What an idiot and there are lots of him out there.

by high uintas on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 04:25:27 PM PDT

•  this is the kind of commentary. . . (2+ / 0-)
            high uintas, RiveroftheWest

I was hoping for, high uintas. . .the kind that says, "Hey, I'm part of the DKos community; I get this message. Let's see what we can do about it." That's all I'm asking by posting this diary. Knocking on doors, banging out email, and maybe do the cellphone thing and getting attention to this worthy cause. As for your political guy's sentiments and his call on the matter, that's the kind of politicians that somehow keep getting elected and I have no idea why people elect 'em, except there seems to be a great bid disconnect somewhere, and of course, why are so politicians prone to a rectal-cranial inversion problem? This character surely must get a good view of his back teeth, do you think?

by richholtzin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 05:17:04 PM PDT

•  Late reply (3+ / 0-)
              KenBee, JayDean, RiveroftheWest

Oh yeah, the senator was certainly "full of himself" in more than one way. He was all up in the fact that the state doesn't get taxes for all that land. I pointed out to him that the feds pour way more money into Utah than it gets out, he said "but, it's not taxes!" To wit I replied, "Money is fungible, I don't care if you call it frogs or taxes, it's money!" He said, "But, it's not taxes!"

What do ya do?

In the '90s Emery County put forth a land use plan. It wasn't perfect, in fact it had a number a serious problems but the local people recognized that they had something special and wanted to find a way to manage it. It was picked to death by the Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance.

I know why SUWA didn't like it, but at the same time I wish that there had been more work done trying to find a compromise. I knew Clinton was leaving office and we had no guarantee. Since then the County has dug in it's heals and their plans get worse.

I believe that the only way now is to proclaim it a Nat. Monument with all that entails and then find a way to work with the people there. It will be hard going. Their start point is to be unreasonable and they are inundated with right wing BS constantly.

by high uintas on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 08:40:38 PM PDT

•  Obama wrote two DKos diaries as U.S. Senator (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

see my reply to Rich, below.

Resist much, obey little. ~~Edward Abbey, via Walt Whitman

by willyr on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 12:39:35 PM PDT

•  I am now preparing to write the diary. . . (1+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest

after I send this off to you, willyr. Again, thank you for clueing me to his presence, or former presence on this site.

by richholtzin on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 01:25:32 PM PDT

•  Actually, President Obama is a DKos member (1+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest

Barack Obama joined when he was a U.S. Senator.

He wrote two diaries, that needeless to say got a fair amount of attention. Here's the first one:
          Tone, Truth, and the Democratic Party

Haven't seen him round these parts lately though. Think he's been busy.

Resist much, obey little. ~~Edward Abbey, via Walt Whitman

by willyr on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 12:37:05 PM PDT

•  ah thanks. . . (2+ / 0-)
            willyr, RiveroftheWest

I wonder if I can write to the former senator who has obviously advantaged his political position since then??? We'll see. Thanks for letting me know. I had no idea the man was tuned into the DKos community, though you obviously did. What would I ever do without the likes of you and helpful others in this community? Gracias for the info, willyr.

by richholtzin on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 01:24:43 PM PDT