View Diary: Gun Safety: What Just Happened in My Family (235 comments)

•  Jeff, just a quick question: (2+ / 0-)
    Otteray Scribe, ban nock

Where's your brother hunting for turkey in early March 2013?

As seasons "open" based on turkey mating times, I'm flummoxed on finding an open season @ early March.

Florida: Spring turkey season runs March 16 – April 21

Texas: Apr. 15-May 14, 2013

California:General Mar 30 - May 5
    Archery Only May 6 - May 19
    Additional Junior Mar 23 - 24 & May 6 - 19

Louisiana: The 2013 wild turkey season will open March 23 in three designated areas with varying end of season dates as follows: Area A, March 23 - April 21;
    Area B, March 23 - April 14;
    and Area C, March 23 - April 7.
    The statewide youth and physically challenged hunter weekend for private lands will be March 16-17

Further north:
    Tennessee: March 30 - May 12, 2013

Iowa:Combination Gun/Bow Licenses
    *Youth Season (Residents Only)
    *License Valid for Youth Season Only: April 6 - 14
    Season 1:April 15 - 18
    Season 2: April 19 - 23
    Season 3: April 24 - 30
    Season 4: May 1 - 19

Colorado: (general dates) April 13 - May 26 (varies by locality)

New York: May 1 - May 31, 2013

Wisconsin: (Youth-only weekend, plus 6 seasons) April 6 - May 21, 2013

New Hampshire: New Hampshire's spring gobbler season runs May 3-31, with a youth turkey weekend held just prior to the opening of the spring gobbler season.

"The bill's sponsor has a better chance of being the next Pope" ~ attributed to Rep. Eric Burlison of Missouri

by 43north on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 06:52:14 AM PDT

•  Florida. n/t (0+ / 0-)

“liberals are the people who think that cruelty is the worst thing that we do” --Richard Rorty Also, I moved from NYC, so my username is inaccurate.

by jeff in nyc on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 10:22:18 AM PDT

•  Nice. Why don't you call FWC about (0+ / 0-)

turkey hunting season on private property. I do not hunt, so I don't know, but there is no way my brother would break the law. He owns the land.

by jeff in nyc on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 10:26:33 AM PDT

•  My species error - I searched Wild Turkey Season (0+ / 0-)

results listed above are for Eastern Wild Turkey - and the species that's open @ March 2nd, in certain areas of Florida is the Osceola turkey.

It appears there's at least two Wildlife Management Areas which permit muzzleloading rifles:

Santa Fe Swamp Wildlife and Environmental Area - 7,272 acres in Alachua and Bradford counties.  Only bows and muzzleloaders (including muzzleloading rifles) are legal.

Joe Budd WMA - 11,039 acres in Gadsden County.  Saturdays and Sundays only.  There are 20 no-cost, daily quota permits available at the check station on a first-come, first-served basis.  Only bows and muzzleloaders (including muzzleloading rifles) are legal.

Muzzleloaders are often de-primed, but not discharged of their main charge upon return to camp.  (Thompson-Center made a CO2 "silent ball discharger" to expel the powder and shot at low velocity without "firing" the gun.

Perhaps in falling, something sparked metal-to-metal and ignited the main charge.

by 43north on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 10:57:10 AM PDT

•  My bro does not use muzzleloaders (0+ / 0-)

he uses modern guns. He hunts on his own property, and I think that the regs you are seeing are for the State Wildlife Management areas. I don't know where to find the dates for private lands.

by jeff in nyc on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 11:55:46 AM PDT

•  Here's the full regs (0+ / 0-)

you were just looking at WMAs

by jeff in nyc on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 12:02:06 PM PDT

•  No interest in what I say? (0+ / 0-)

So, I take it that you, like me, have no interest in turkey regs in Florida. You were just being a dick.

by jeff in nyc on Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 09:02:46 PM PDT

•  Jeff, newsflash! (0+ / 0-)

DKos doesn't pay my bills.  My participation isn't 24/7.  I don't link to my blog.  My facebook page isn't filled with DKos content.  I'm not speed dialing my Congress nor State critters with breathless news of Frontpager calls-to-action.

Mostly, post USA PATRIOT Act, I see every DO SOMETHING NOW!11ty rush as being news-cycle generated.

BREAKING NEWS ALERT!  The lights were turned on in the Judiciary Committee Hearing Room just moments ago!  More as it happens.  (which used-to have "Stay Tuned to Fox" after it, but is now epidemic).

Now personally?  I'm taking your description of your brother's firearm skills at 100% veracity.

I'm unaware of the age of his children, and didn't ask - as you chose not to include the information.
            My first thought upon reading this was:  "Early for turkey..." followed by "wonder if his brother's gun was the only gun present".  Again, your brother was getting called a criminal, a dangerous parent, someone who needed his guns confiscated and his permits revoked.
            I didn't think jumping in there was a valid use of my pixels.

I've seen old guns "slamfire" when the sear was worn and the hammer slipped from the half-cock notch.  Same for some old (1930-era) .22 single shots.  That pull-knob sometimes didn't stay pulled, as too much lint and crud built-up on the old lubricants, preventing full sear engagement.

I'm certain of one thing:  Your brother will count ammo from now on.  Five bullets - none fired ≠ 4 ever again.

by 43north on Wed Mar 13, 2013 at 06:38:03 AM PDT