View Diary: Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) Shows Us Exactly Why Republicans Suck (242 comments)

•  There are days when this site (2+ / 0-)
    raoul78, 420 forever

really fits the caricature of it in the right-wing press.

He did the right thing.  There's no need to bray about how long it took him or the fact it took personal experience to change his opinion.

The fact is he burned more bridges and will face more grief from this decision than any of us will ever experience.  With the obvious exception of coming out yourself, this is as courageous a move as anyone can make on behalf of gay rights.  He is subjecting his family to scorn and his Senate seat to a future primary from some atavistic baboon.  Go forth and be so bold in your own life.  Leave the rock throwing to his own political base and society of former friends.

"Unrestricted immigration is a dangerous thing -- look at what happened to the Iroquois." Garrison Keillor

by Spider Stumbled on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 06:41:51 AM PDT

•  Oh please. (17+ / 0-)

Yes, he's on the right side of the issue now.  Sure, it's courageous, I guess (lay down with dogs, get up with fleas; he put himself in that party, that's his problem to deal with).  But WHY do we have to wait for politicians to understand a freaking civil rights issue by virtue of having a friend or family member affected by that issue?  I can understand this a bit more for the average person.  But a politician is elected to represent the people in the US.  He represents the people of Ohio, including those who didn't vote for him and don't share his views.  I expect him to think about how his policy positions impact all people, that's his freaking job.

His support for marriage equality is great.  His reasons for his policy position change indicate a problem, which is that until something affects him personally, he can't be bothered to give it much thought or consider the impact on people who aren't like him.  THAT makes him a crappy senator, but a pretty average Republican, which is what this diary takes issue with.

As to this being the most courageous thing he can do for gay rights (aside from coming out himself), I disagree.  What Sen. Portman can do that would be courageous for gay rights is to campaign to appeal the state's constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

"I don't want a unicorn. I want a fucking pegasus. And I want it to carry a flaming sword." -mahakali overdrive

by Silvia Nightshade on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 07:09:42 AM PDT

•  right on. (7+ / 0-)

"What Sen. Portman can do that would be courageous for gay rights is to campaign to appeal the state's constitutional amendment banning gay marriage."

He should put his money where his mouth is otherwise he's a chickenshit. And he's going to have change a lot more positions than just gay marriage if he expects me to believe this load:

"the Bible’s overarching themes of love and compassion and my belief that we are all children of God."

so I'm sure he will be speaking out against our military actions overseas, against the cruelty and bigotry of the prison industrial complex and the war on drugs, against our support of slave labor everywhere from sweatshops in asia to produce fields in immokalee florida. he'll work hard to make sure not one more child in america suffers through hunger and poverty, and that we all have equal access to education and jobs. all children of god my ass. fuck rob portman and his empty, sanctimonious words.

"Today is who you are" - my wife

by I Lurked For Years on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 07:20:07 AM PDT

•  Burned more bridges? Give me a break. (11+ / 0-)
      As a gay man still struggling for equality in Ohio, I don't want to hear about what a brave decision he made.

He's one of the people whose foot was on my neck all these years, and he doesn't get a free pass now just because he has a gay son.

•  I sort of agree (4+ / 0-)

but I also don't feel sorry one bit as he takes hits from his own base. And I also don't feel guilt or caricaturized for pointing out the sheer hypocrisy of using the bible to advance intolerance and then using the bible to support the opposite when it hits close to home.
      He helped build that base & now it's coming back to haunt him - I hope all those who cheered for the Sarah Palin's and the birthers and the hate-spewing racists and the anti-everything that's not like me folks, or at least sat by while the intolerant took over their party, get what they deserve. The best outcome for this country would be that the Republican/conservative leaders got behind Portman & took their party back from the freaks who are headlining CPAC this weekend, but I don't have much faith that will happen.

Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up. A. A. Milne

by hulibow on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 07:32:04 AM PDT

•  That's not hypocrisy (2+ / 0-)
        hulibow, Silvia Nightshade

That's life...adapting to new information.

Yeah, I knew that being gay was normal at a very young age.  Because I had gay people in my family and lived 4 blocks from one of the biggest gay bars in Brooklyn.

Instead of scolding him for being slow to empathize, try empathizing yourself.  My life would have been much deprived it took me 50 years to realize that homosexuality is not abhorrent.

by Spider Stumbled on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 08:14:05 AM PDT

•  pffft (2+ / 0-)
      Silvia Nightshade, SilentBrook

Portman won't tell us anything to get re-elected, only to go on legislating hate with wild abandon?

Dude, he's a Republican.

They're not a serious party anymore. -Kos

by thenekkidtruth on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 07:34:39 AM PDT

•  This is more (3+ / 0-)

a sign of the times than a sign of Portman's personal or political courage. Ten years ago he would never have come out in favor of gay marriage, no matter what the circumstances.

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 07:38:46 AM PDT

•  That's because of the company he keeps: (3+ / 0-)
      That's because of the party he belongs to.  He chose the republican party, and wouldn't have burnt any bridges until the fortuity of his son's sexuality forced it on him.  So.  Meh.

That's not even "gun control". It's more like "massacre control".

by Inland on Fri Mar 15, 2013 at 09:57:42 AM PDT