View Diary: What's For Dinner v.7.33 An Irish Feile (89 comments)

•  Tonight I'm having leftover trout (14+ / 0-)

I butterflied a rather large trout and stuffed it with a mixture of artichoke, mushroom, spinach and brown/white rice. It was my first time to butterfly a trout, but I found a good video on youtube that showed exactly what to do.

The most difficult part was removing the pin bones. Fortunately, the video showed how to pull them using culinary tweezers and I was able to pick some up at my downtown cooking store.

I really dislike having to deal with small trout bones so I'll certainly be doing this again because it wasn't that much trouble and it made the dish much more enjoyable.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 05:23:06 PM PDT

•  I highly recommend that you buy (6+ / 0-)

"Artichoke Bottoms" instead of "Artichoke Hearts" for this recipe because I believe that they represent the very best that you can get.

I'm not promoting Reese and I'm just showing it as an example.

From what I can tell, "Artichoke Bottoms" are large artichokes without the leaves or fuzzy stuff packed in water.

Anyway, if you chop them up they can be used in a wide variety of recipes: pasta dishes, stuffed portobello mushrooms, trout, you name it.

When I purchased them I knew exactly what I wanted, artichoke bottoms, and I noticed that the price was higher than the alternatives. Nevertheless, I have always been pleased with the results when cooking with them.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 07:32:50 PM PDT

•  One more thing... (2+ / 0-)
        mikidee, tapestry

The picture on the can suggests that these are intended for stuffing. They are whole and perfect in every way. So they are top of the notch, but if you want the best I don't think you can go wrong by purchasing "artichoke bottoms".

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 07:35:47 PM PDT

•  What's going to happen to my culinary tweezers (4+ / 0-)
      ninkasi23, greengemini, mikidee, tapestry

when I die?

My niece rarely if ever cooks and I hate to think of what will happen to all of my kitchen tools. I can't accept that my Messermeister knifes and other tools will get trashed.

My poor grand nephew survives on chicken and going out to Thai restaurants and while I think he gets adequate nutrition, I think his mother is letting him down in so many ways.

I remember how my grandmother and mother taught me how to cook. By the time I was five years old they had me sitting up on the top of the kitchen counter helping out. And, while it took until I was into my mid 20s to kick in it definitely did make a lasting impression.

My time in the kitchen built a special bond with my mother and grandmother and gave me an everlasting appreciation of food and the fun of preparing it.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I just hate to think about what my grand nephew is missing out on.

Bottom line: kids need to spend time in the kitchen at a young age. I guess that's one of the reasons I loved sharing cooking lessons back when I worked as a preschool teacher.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sat Mar 16, 2013 at 07:50:02 PM PDT

•  is this grand-nephew close enough to spend any (2+ / 0-)
        tapestry, Mr Robert

time with you at all, for "indoctrination"? Maybe even just helping at holidays would plant a seed??? Or would his mother take it poorly?

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 02:59:35 PM PDT

•  Or maybe nephew will find a nice girl who DOES (2+ / 0-)
          tapestry, Mr Robert

cook, and your equipment will be able to skip a generation to someone who will appreciate it. 8-)

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 03:00:27 PM PDT

•  They live in Long Beach (1+ / 0-)
          chimene

and I haven't seen them since Xmas 2011 so I might just invite them to come up here next time.

It would certainly be nice to spend some time cooking with Joshua, but he and his mother don't eat a lot of stuff. No beef, pork, blah, blah, blah.

Nevertheless, I know a number of veg. recipes and such so I think it might work.

The only trouble with retirement is...I never get a day off!

by Mr Robert on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 07:50:34 PM PDT