View Diary: Oh, F*ck No - He Did Not Just Make A Joke About Rape (157 comments)

•  Still, Ashley Judd should not trivialize rape... (3+ / 0-)
    MKSinSA, Sarea, KJB Oregon

by comparing it to running a campaign against McConnell.  I understand it is a reality in her life that she has to face everyday, but I am uneasy with her statement "I've been raped twice so I think I can handle Mitch McConnell".

The more you learn the less you know.

by quiet in NC on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 05:55:20 AM PDT

•  She did not make that comment (19+ / 0-)

in public. In private, she was asked if she was "tough enough." That was her response. She was not trivializing rape. She was trivializing McConnell.

Done with politics for the night? Have a nice glass of wine with Palate Press: The online wine magazine.

by dhonig on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:05:45 AM PDT

•  She is NOT trivializing rape.... (10+ / 0-)

....any more than someone saying, "I've been hit by a bus and survived, so I can handle a minor accident."

Or "I've beaten cancer twice, so I'm not worried about the cosmetic surgery."

No way does that trivialize getting hit by a bus or beating cancer. It trivializes the minor accident and the cosmetic surgery.

Get it?

•  Eh (1+ / 0-)
        MKSinSA

again, I don't think it trivializes it, but it must compare a political campaign to rape for your comparisons to be apt.

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:36:11 AM PDT

•  A campaign is voluntary, rape is involuntary... (0+ / 0-)

so no, I don't get it.  Rape should never be tolerated and comparing a voluntary act to an involuntary act is just wrong.
        She has taken on a very big fight against organized rape in African countries and for that I have the utmost respect and admiration for her.  She will make a great Senator and I look forward to supporting her during her campaign as much as possible.

The more you learn the less you know.

by quiet in NC on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 07:13:07 AM PDT

•  I don't think she trivialized it, but i found it (5+ / 0-)

odd and almost a non-sequitur. Rape is a really big deal and I'm not sure why she brought it up in the context of a political campaign that hasn't even happened yet.

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:34:54 AM PDT

•  I agree 'trivialize" was a bad word choice. (1+ / 0-)
        GoGoGoEverton

Seeing her quote in context might help but that comparison just seems wrong.

The more you learn the less you know.

by quiet in NC on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:57:49 AM PDT

•  I admire Ashely Judd for bringing it up first. (4+ / 0-)

By bringing  up the subject of her rapes first, she is depriving  the GOP from pulling it out of her book and trying to twist it into making her appear as a 'victim'.

She is also telling women/girls/boys worldwide that we can gain strength by reporting, discussing, and getting help for rape. There is no right/wrong way, place, or time for someone who has been raped - to talk about it. It will always be an uncomfortable 'squeamish' subject. And like cancer, it needs to be discussed in order to bring more awareness.

I was raped three times and molested countless times. First as a toddler, then as a pre-teen, then as a young woman. I told someone at 9 and was basically 'shushed'. At 24, I reported my rape to a hotel security guard (I was a flight attendant) and he told me reporting it to the police would get me nowhere because I was a 'stewardess' and I had been drinking. It's no wonder so many of us have been triggered by the Steubenville rape.

And I saw what happened to girls who reported rape and went to court.

I felt shame - maybe I could have done this, or that...maybe I deserved it. I didn't see women in the media talking about it like Ashley Judd.  I waited until it the addictions I used to cover up the pain, guilt, and shame almost killed me. Then something triggered all the memories, I became suicidal, and ended up in the hospital. That's when I finally got help. Later, I actually went to the same treatment center as Ashely, Shades Of Hope, (not at the same time) and worked through much there, then I was fortunate enough to receive therapy over a period of several years for little cost via a Rape Crisis Center. I was able to get help. So many rape victims do not get help, don't know how - or are afraid to ask. So they live with the emotional (and sometimes physical)  scarring.

Making it inappropriate to talk about rape, or judging anyone who's been raped for discussing it at any time, only perpetuates the stigma. (Please note, I don't think that's what anyone here is trying to do)

Ashley Judd is well aware of the seriousness. She's incredibly intelligent. I think she's going to do very well in politics. She'll make mistakes and as she learns from them, so will we. Hopefully she'll encourage more women to jump into the political arena. God knows we could use more.

"When faced with darkness, be the light.

by Leslie Salzillo on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 01:12:46 PM PDT

•  Thank you for this comment - you are spot on (1+ / 0-)
            WakeUpNeo

She got out in front of it and if they insist will use it as a point of strength in her personal story.

Game on, boys!

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 01:59:16 PM PDT

quiet in NC, KJB Oregon

This guy is a complete douchebag, no question.  But that ad with her quote made me squeamish at best.

Nothing is as evilly imaginative as the mind of a teenage gamer. -- Sychotic1

by Sarea on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:55:55 AM PDT

•  Is that because being raped isn't like getting (1+ / 0-)
        LilithGardener

hit by a bus. Rape is shameful. So the more times they can put Ashley Judd and rape in the same sentence the more they trivialize her.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 07:06:57 AM PDT

•  I'm saying her quote in that ad made (2+ / 0-)
          KJB Oregon, 88kathy

me squeamish.  Whoever used her quote in that ad is doing her no favors, because it does make it look like she is trivializing rape for politics.  She is a smart lady and very talented and I hope she runs.  And that comedian guy is an asshat.

I just hope that comparison with running / being raped doesn't  make it into her campaign talking points.

Nothing is as evilly imaginative as the mind of a teenage gamer. -- Sychotic1

by Sarea on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 07:26:42 AM PDT

•  I'm thinking that the person who made that (1+ / 0-)
            LilithGardener

picture quote is a GOP. I'm thinking the GOP is going to make Ashley Judd a synonym for rape.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 10:07:31 AM PDT

•  No wonder they were scared shitless that she (1+ / 0-)
              88kathy

would run.

She will be consulted every time another one of them says more stupid shit about rape. The GOP hate machine couldn't silence Sandra Fluke about contraception, and they are not going to silence Ashley Judd over rape.

by LilithGardener on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 01:57:32 PM PDT