View Diary: Rape: Anonymous but Silenced No More (142 comments)

•  So blaming the victim continues. (20+ / 0-)

Here's a news flash - WE LIVE IN A RAPE CULTURE BECAUSE MEN RAPE.

Why do men rape? Just because they can get away with it? Makes the male gender look like a bunch of nasty thugs. Do you agree, skyounkin?

Men HAVE TO BE FORCED TO ACT decently?

So why do non-rapist men protect rapists by doing nothing? Is there some sort of bond all testosterone-heavy individuals feel?

Are you saying MOMMY has to make the baby boys behave?

*Are we humans or are we dancers?* Annie Lennox (thx Words In Action & OPOL)

by glorificus on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 04:49:52 PM PDT

•  We live in a rape culture because (0+ / 0-)

we tell women how not to get raped instead of teaching men NOT to rape.

And yes, I am blaming the victim here- but criminals get away with crimes because they are not reported.

It will get worse before it gets better, and it will only get better when people stand up and do something about it, and that includes all the ugly and nasty things like having your life ripped open and judged before everyone.

"I'm not scared of anyone or anything, Angie. Isn't that the way life should be?" Jack Hawksmoor

by skyounkin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 05:47:22 PM PDT

•  I have a better idea. More women judges and (8+ / 0-)

prosecutors to put the rapists away.

*Are we humans or are we dancers?* Annie Lennox (thx Words In Action & OPOL)

by glorificus on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:07:23 PM PDT

•  Oh, and it's getting late. Brush your teeth and (0+ / 0-)

find your blankie before you go to bed.

*Are we humans or are we dancers?* Annie Lennox (thx Words In Action & OPOL)

by glorificus on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:08:08 PM PDT

•  If you expect a people to report crimes, you have (10+ / 0-)

to have a system which is responsive to the needs of the victims.

Since we especially don't have that system in regard to rape victims, perhaps your "shoulda's" ought to be directed elsewhere?

When you admit you are blaming the victim, it's time to just stop: "I'm blaming the victim. I should stop that and not go on."

by YucatanMan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 06:43:19 PM PDT

•  So, when this guy goes out and rapes someone else (0+ / 0-)

because his crime wasn't reported before - that isn't on some level the previous victims fault for not reporting it?

It's 100 percent this guys fault for raping her- and I am not blaming her for the horrific thing of what happened to her- but I am blaming her for this guy getting away with it and when he most likely will do it again- and if you can't see that then you really need to wake up.

by skyounkin on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 07:16:07 PM PDT

•  The part you are missing is the many (9+ / 0-)

rapes which are reported and nothing further is done. In fact, the reporting can and has put rape victims' lives in further danger.

To continue to blame  the victim for not making a report, when the police, the prosecutors, the courts may do little or nothing with that information is just wrong.

You say it is all her fault. No, it is the fault of the entire process.  She discussed it with reliable responsible people who understand how the system works - poorly - and made an informed decision which was best for her safety, personally and psychologically.

I'm wide awake, thank you.  I know that there is a lot more than just "report it" to insuring a guy is off the street.

by YucatanMan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 at 07:21:17 PM PDT