View Diary: Warren politely SCHOOLS businessman at Senate hearing who tries to explain wage economics to her (219 comments)

•  They only compete indirectly. (3+ / 0-)
    tardis10, jalapenopopper, Laconic Lib
    Now, I'm guessing that the impact on an Applebee's wouldn't be anywhere close to $.50 let alone a $1 per meal.  But I do believe that this data point is an important one to have when making an informed decision of how much to raise the minimum wage.
    Why do you think this is important?  Do you think Government should keep wages down for poor people to make Applebee's more competitive against McDonalds?

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 12:42:28 PM PDT

•  If a change in government policy would (0+ / 0-)

change the restaurant marketplace in such a way that it damages somewhat healthier restaurants and favors fast, unhealthy food, I would enter that into consideration if I were a lawmaker.  There are unintended consequences of almost every piece of legislation but there are also logical consequences of legislation and, at the very least, you need to consider the logical consequences.

Now, since there is no data that I'm aware of that would show this to be the case, we should proceed with raising the minimum wage in a deliberate but thorough fashion.  With that said, did you see where a commenter said that the impact on a pub style restaurant might be $2.30 per meal?

At some dollar point the impact is potentially severe and should be taken into consideration, right?  I don't know if I buy "his" calculations but it would be interesting if true.

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. Albert Einstein

by theotherside on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 01:58:29 PM PDT

•  Chains like Appelbees and Denny's aren't even (1+ / 0-)
        Laconic Lib

somewhat healthier.  They serve the same crap.  A cheestick is a cheestick.

I really cannot fathom how a person starts thinking "It's ok to keep millions mired deeply in poverty, because it might narrow the gap in price point between several corporations selling profoundly unhealthy food".

But, then, I've lived on minimum wage for several years of my life.

by JesseCW on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 03:10:25 PM PDT

•  That's a fun game! (0+ / 0-)

I'll try one.

I really cannot fathom how a person starts thinking "It's ok to raise the minimum wage to $20 an hour and completely destroys our manufacturing base."

But, then, I help people with disabilities get jobs and understand, to some degree, the perilous nature of manufacturing in the US.

Hmmmm, completely distorting somebody else's position isn't nearly as satisfying as I would have imagined.  Perhaps you find it more satisfying than I do.

It's all good, Jesse.  Be well.

by theotherside on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 03:31:56 PM PDT

•  You think we still have a manufacturing base? (1+ / 0-)
            Laconic Lib

Seriously?

by JesseCW on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 07:32:14 PM PDT

•  Of course I do (1+ / 0-)
              Sparhawk

Apparently you do not.

Here's what you can do.  Go to this website:

Use the default settings, which were:

1. Manufacturer's Shipments, Inventories and Orders
              2.  1992 to 2013
              3.  Total Manufacturing
              4. Value of Shipment
              5. US Total

Do you see a clear trend?  Is it positive or negative?

Now, what is also true is that we have gotten really efficient at manufacturing and so our productivity is really high.  What that means is that manufacturing employment has really taken a hit and are at numbers not seen since the 1930's.

But to put your view point in context if there is no manufacturing base then completely eliminating it would be no big deal.  Of course, the reality is that there are about 12 million people employed in that sector of the economy.

by theotherside on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 04:25:05 AM PDT