View Diary: Arrests Made for Death Threats Against Steubenville Rape Victim (259 comments)

•  You know what I mean. n/t (0+ / 0-)
    •  I am simply tired of (10+ / 0-)

idiots who conflate my religion to evil.

And you could have showed some class by saying--"Ooops, sorry, didn't mean it that way".

But you didn't.

And YES it matters. I live in the rural South where people take literally that line about not suffering a witch to live.  I've had my caer keyed with "Jesus hates witches", been followed through Hobby Lobby for wearing my penatacl and a couple of tyher things.  SO YES, using that word to connote evil IS offensive. Maybe you'll think twice before you use it that way again.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:27:51 PM PDT

•  Sigh... (0+ / 0-)

Well it's a pretty common word and I didn't think I was creating another controversy.

I'd rather discuss why the rapists shouldn't get away with what they did, not religion.

I'm sorry to hear that you have to put up bigoted and narrow-minded people, but I was just making a comment about the Steubenville situation.

First I'm told teenagers can rape and it's not a big deal. Now I'm getting scolded for using a regular word.

I didn't mean to offend you. Sorry.

•  Bigger sigh. (7+ / 0-)

It`s not a regular word though, is it?

Look, it is used often enough to denote nasty vile women.

But, Witches are NOT nasty vile women. (There are also male Witches. ) Wicca and Paganism are a religion. (Wiccans are pagans, but not all pagans are Wicca.)
          You would not use other religious titles in that way without getting your butt metaphorically smacked.
          Using the word in that way simply perpetuates the longstanding and erroneous belief that Witches are evil.

Now, You made a non apology apology, a GOP version.

You don`t get it and obviously it doesn't bother you a bit to offend a portion of the readers here. (We are all around you).... But for gawd`s sakes stop digging.

"As the days go by, we face the increasing inevitability that we are alone in a godless, uninhabited, hostile and meaningless universe. Still, you've got to laugh, haven't you?" - Holly, Red Dwarf

by pale cold on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 10:16:35 PM PDT

•  Well I really am sorry. (0+ / 0-)

I saw witch as a inconsequential word. I still think it is. However out of respect for you, irishwitch and every other Wiccan here I won't use it like that anymore.

•  Down about 6ft now. (3+ / 0-)
              poligirl, irishwitch, Tonedevil
              I saw witch as a inconsequential word. I still think it is.
              Let us know when you hit water.

Non apology apologies crack me up.

by pale cold on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 10:25:06 PM PDT

•  What? (0+ / 0-)

Well grew up with stories of wicked witches and whatnot. I've heard that word used all my life in an inconsequential way. I still hear and see it used in a whimsical way, but no all of sudden it's bad for me to use that word.

What do you expect me to do then? What would make you satisfied?

•  You mean, what would make me shut up? (4+ / 0-)
                  poligirl, antimony, irishwitch, Tonedevil

Admit that it is a MEANINGFUL word, and then let this the hell go.

With every friggin excuse, you just keep on diggin.
                  You keep committing that same insult over and over.

Oh, I am sooooooooo sorry. Sorry that you were offended.

You won't get it. (yes, different from Can't)

You are stirred up here. Take a breath, re-read what you are actually saying.
                  You have caused a quite the rukkus in a couple threads and maybe a self imposed break would be a smart move.

by pale cold on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 10:37:19 PM PDT

•  Okay, you win. (1+ / 0-)
                    nancyjones

I see that you hate that word. It's too bad you're taking it so personally, when I'm not even using it to insult Wiccans or pagans in general. I never thought I would get in trouble for using that word. Now I know.

It's meaningful. I know what the word means. A Wiccan friend of mine I knew in college never got offended by that word. She used it proudly too, so your angry reaction to me boggles my mind.

I'm more surprised than anything. I can't believe I got singled out over this, when I wasn't even going out of my way to upset Wiccans or pagans. I have nothing against your religion either.

•  ..... (3+ / 0-)
                      poligirl, antimony, Tonedevil

Clueless. Totally, utterly. and hopelessly.
                      Gonna defend yerself to the depths I see.....
                      And on that note.

Yup. Maybe we gots a well here Ethel.

by pale cold on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 10:50:36 PM PDT

•  Whatever. (1+ / 0-)
                        nancyjones

I've been honest with you and all you've been is rude and condescending. I admitted I was wrong. I gave you the context.

So you know what? Fuck off. If you can't accept the fact that was raised with the word differently, then that's too bad. I told you I'm sorry. I don't know what else you want from me, so please just leave me alone.

•  Whats that Lassie? (4+ / 0-)
                          poligirl, LaEscapee, irishwitch, Tonedevil

Gjetost  is down the well?

Fuck off
                          And to you too!

All you had to say was that you understood that you had insulted the spiritualism and religion of a lot of people, and then NOT pile on all the garbage which totally mitigated the apology.
                          Then you had to drag out the good 'ol My black friend (pagan) says defense!Holy Hannah.

It wasn't a difficult nor unreasonable thing to ask. But you just WON'T.

Have a great night, and feel very good about acting like a complete git.
                          :) You really earned it.

by pale cold on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 11:24:47 PM PDT

•  ummm.... (4+ / 0-)
                          i live in the south. do you think there are words here that folks use cavalierly and sometimes not even in a malicious way that are still unacceptable words?

essentially your argument for being ok with using the word 'witch' is the same argument that could be made for using the word 'nigger', by idiots who think that's ok just cuz it's something they heard hundreds of times used cavalierly and benignly while growing up.

do you think it's ok to refer to someone as the n-word?

if your answer is no, then i submit that you shouldn't be ok with referring to someone as a witch either.

and you said 'i'm sorry' but then you qualified it; that's not a true 'i'm sorry'. true apologies are unqualified.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. ~George Orwell

by poligirl on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 07:48:00 AM PDT

•  irishwitch, I hope your request is honored and (7+ / 0-)

respected re the use of "witch" as a pejorative. (By the way, I think most of us know that "witch" is being employed as a very thinly veiled substitute for "bitch," which earns a swift and justified HR around these parts.)

Now, I'm going to ask you to at least consider a request of mine: Please remove your uprate of Rosalie907's comment upthread. In that comment, she is not very obliquely expressing the desire that the Steubenville rapists would be sent to adult prison so that they could be raped themselves.

I see this kind of comment posted here at DKos all too often. The expressed desire for heinous crimes to be punished by prison rape is just one more element of perpetuating rape culture. It has no place here (or, at least, I would hope this community would finally reject the mindset that considers it OK to wish rape upon another).

Don't tell me what you believe; show me the excuses you make for Barack Obama, and I will tell you what you believe.

by WisePiper on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 09:47:57 PM PDT

•  I caught that. (1+ / 0-)
          WisePiper

Look, I didn't mean to start trouble with resident Wiccans here. Honestly, I didn't realize a word like witch would get me shouted down. I don't even have any problems with Wiccans! I didn't know that word would offend them.

Then I have Tonedevil, Anastacia P and JesseCW telling me I'm horrible because I want teenage rapists to go to prison. You know like any other rapists would. Suddenly they're age apparently safeguards them from the consequences.

I really had no idea that I'd be accused of wingnuttery like I am now.

•  Perhaps you just used the word thoughtlessly, (6+ / 0-)

and weren't, as I suggested, using it as a clever substitute for "bitch." I'll take you at your word on that.

Now, as to the other element of my comment to irishwitch, you too uprated Rosalie907's comment.

I know tempers are running high around this issue. Understandably. But, please consider the request I made of irishwitch. Rape culture is rape culture. It's not OK to hope for rape upon another as punishment, no matter how heinous the crime they've committed.

by WisePiper on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 10:02:19 PM PDT

•  You don't seem to be making even a token (3+ / 0-)
            poligirl, irishwitch, Tonedevil

effort to argue in good faith.

You claimed 9 year old offenders should be treated like adults, and now you're earnestly trying to paint yourself as an aggrieved victim of persecution.

income gains to the top 1% from 2009 to 2011 were 121% of all income increases. How did that happen? Incomes to the bottom 99% fell by 0.4%

by JesseCW on Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 10:07:08 PM PDT

•  Okay, I'm not a victim. (0+ / 0-)

I'm very emotional about this. My uncle was raped when he was a kid. I feel for this girl that was raped. I can't bring myself to feel bad for rapists, regardless of their age. Same goes for murderers. I feel for their victims, not for them.

•  Done. It was late and I wasn't (1+ / 0-)
          Tonedevil

reading as carefully as I should have been. I don't think anyone deserves rape.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Mar 19, 2013 at 09:55:05 AM PDT

•  that excuse doesn't fly here. nt (3+ / 0-)
      LaEscapee, pale cold, Tonedevil

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (19)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site