View Diary: Why the "your daughter/wife" meme is necessary (114 comments)

•  Thanks again. (3+ / 0-)
    walkshills, cotterperson, dotdash2u

That's why I think by including it in most conversations about republican actions would be easy.  Just a comment saying these are the outcomes of such and such and action and only someone who is mentally ill would deny food or medicine,etc.
    Making it part of most conversations instead of ignoring what kind of a person(s) would do such things.

I sincerely believe we're dealing w/pervasive mental illness and afraid to talk about it.  There are no legitimate conservative arguments that would justify what they're doing to people.

"I freed a thousand slaves, I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves" Harriet Tubman

by BrianParker14 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 09:41:26 PM PDT

•  Yes, but (2+ / 0-)
      TrueBlueMajority, cotterperson

that's like saying devout religious people are delusional.

It may be true that they are, but most people with religious delusions are benign.

It steers the convo off course for at least two reasons:

1. People react to what appear to be a demonization or a slur instead of on actionable content.

2. No one is really qualified to diagnose someone at such length. You are probably right, but no one here has anyway of vetting your qualifications as a diagnostician. And if that were tolerated then other people start diagnosing Schizophrenia, or Bipolar, etc. it just create a mess and people just shout at each other.

"They did not succeed in taking away our voice" - Angelique Kidjo - Opening the Lightning In a Bottle concert at Radio City Music Hall in New York City - 2003

by LilithGardener on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 10:07:10 PM PDT

•  I don't think it's difficult to characterize (3+ / 0-)
        kaliope, cotterperson, dotdash2u

a billionaire like Pete Peterson who has spent half a billion dollars (through his scam Fix the Debt by way of Simpson-Bowles, Ed Rendell, etc) which is attempting to deny food to hungry children and medicine to the sick and when you look at Simpson laughing and calling poor people idiots while smiling all the way, as mentally ill. They have no legitimate position other than pure greed and malice. Identifying them as mentally ill would really define the conversation in a practical way.
        But, I do understand what you are saying and of course you are unfortunately right.  But that doesn't mean I won't keep trying to push the point.

And yes, devout religious people are scary. I have some friends who are devout and I love them dearly, but they're nuts.

by BrianParker14 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 at 10:37:53 PM PDT

•  Not sure about that. (1+ / 0-)
          cotterperson

I think a lot of it is a need to feel better, superior, more deserving.  Our whole national dialogue is hugely about who "deserves" what (e.g. see Romney's 47%).  Such people, I suspect, often feel they're serving some sort of skewed code of justice--in a very self-serving way, of course.

Some of them, I think, are perhaps less interested in hurting other people and more interested in validating, affirming, and justifying their ability and RIGHT to grab, to take, to do whatever the hell they want.  The two are not mutually exclusive, of course, but it's hubris, entitlement, and arrogance, at least sometimes, as much as it is sociopathic malice.

My take, anyway.

"If a man loses his reverence for any part of life, he will lose his reverence for all of life." — Albert Schweitzer

by mozartssister on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 06:45:07 AM PDT

•  As you sigline says (2+ / 0-)
            cotterperson, dotdash2u

I hear that as including "all life".
            To be unconscious about the pain and suffering of others while still doing everything possible to take even  more from them seems to be a tenet of being a sociopath.
            A definition:
             Noun
            A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.
            Sociopaths deserve anything they want w/o consideration of the pain it will cause others. How much more anti social must a person be than to intentionally destroy all social institutions that benefit people (especially the powerless). To be extremely wealthy, have control over legislators and require them to take from the neediest because they feel they "deserve" it, seems to be a definition of a sociopath, eg Kochs, Peterson's, Coors', Walton's etc.
            My sigline:

by BrianParker14 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 09:12:48 AM PDT

•  Your use of these terms is too loose IMO (0+ / 0-)

Being greedy and self-serving is not enough to call someone a "sociopath", in my book. And the selfishness that drives greed can be based on emotional problems, even spiritual problems--but calling any of this stuff "mental illness" just doesn't fit the consensual opinion in the mental health field. "Evil" is not a mental illness--it cheapens both terms to equate them, IMO.

•  Your analysis, IMO, seems to ignore (0+ / 0-)

the fact that I'm defining people who knowingly deny food and health care to the hungry and sick and send people to die, knowingly, for billion dollar corporations in unnecessary wars.  When a Paul Ryan or a Simpson-Bowles know that by eliminating food programs for the hungry and medical care for children and the sick who will die w/o it, that's a sociopath. And, they smile while doing it.
        It doesn't even have to be for profit. It's done for the sole purpose of despising the weak and having the ability to take advantage of them, and if the outcome is likely death, so what. That's a sociopath. All while smiling.

These people know their actions will absolutely cause deaths. And they smile.  That's a sociopath. Malignant narcissistic sociopath. And intentional "evil" is a mental illness. If not, then there's no such thing as right and wrong, good and bad, it's all just relative.

An evil act may not be mental illness, but an evil person is.
        Civilization has witnessed a society constructed by evil people. They were mentally ill.
        If you believe all is relative then there really is no reason...

by BrianParker14 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 08:00:10 PM PDT