View Diary: DKos Tour Series: The Grand Falls Of The Little Colorado River (65 comments)

•  Unfortunately, (4+ / 0-)

hiking opportunities in southern Idaho aren't quite as spectacular. But here's something I haven't done since I moved back to Idaho and can do even with a sinus infection, visit the World Center for Birds of Prey.

I'll report back.

"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning." —Warren Buffett

by Joan McCarter on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 10:11:40 AM PDT

•  Now I'm envious! (3+ / 0-)

the site you sent. I love birds of prey, anything. Here overlooking the Burqy, the Manzano Mountains, there is an aerie where birds of prey are monitored (for Hawks International and the like) and the birds fly north or south just out in front of the mountain, catching the thermal ride. Oh what fun! The hard part, though, is distinguishing between an immature and an adult, because at that height and speed they tend to all look alike to me. HA! But I can tell an eagle, say, from a swan, so I guess that helps confirm the census. Do you think? Thanks for making me envious with the embed.

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 10:33:05 AM PDT

•  Figuring out the hawks (3+ / 0-)

(unless they're obvious like red tail) is always hard for me. But I also haven't really applied myself to the study, which is another argument in favor of going to the Center!

I'll put it on my Spring to-do list, remember to take my camera, and might just get enough good shots to do a diary.

by Joan McCarter on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 11:29:00 AM PDT

•  We're all counting on it. . . (3+ / 0-)

that forthcoming diary you mentioned. I think you'll be an instant hit once you do post what you see know and took photos of. Hawks are tricky, except the common ones, like red tails, Coopers, northern harriers and the like. . .they're getting easier to see and tell even from a distance. Still, I always carry my bird bible with me, when taking census. There are also quite a variety of hawks and such traveling by the mountain top on any given day, even eagles.

by richholtzin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 11:43:32 AM PDT

•  The camera is key for identification (2+ / 0-)
          blueyedace2, RiveroftheWest

Easier to compare images than in life!

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 05:24:34 PM PDT

•  trouble with a camera, elfling. . . (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

those birdies don't seem to sit still long enough for me to get a shot, as it were. But how I tried. Anyway, you're right: good key for ID'ing the bird, but when out-of-focus, my oh my, is that an eagle or a distorted goose? HA!

by richholtzin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:36:22 PM PDT