View Diary: DKos Tour Series: The Grand Falls Of The Little Colorado River (65 comments)

•  Most wonderful place in the world. Thanks for (3+ / 0-)
    elfling, blueyedace2, RiveroftheWest

posting your gorgeous shots, and for the informative diary.

Republicans...What a nice club...of liars, cheaters, adulterers, exaggerators, hypocrites and ignoramuses. Der Spiegel -6.62, -6.92

by CanyonWren on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 02:56:25 PM PDT

•  you're welcomed. . . (3+ / 0-)

and I sure like that label of yours, "CanyonWren." Prettiest darn lyrical bird call of them all from that (so-called) 'little bird with a big mouth.' Truly one of my favorites. Anyway, thanks for posting your comment.

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 03:45:17 PM PDT

•  Heard the canyon wren for the first time on (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

a river trip down the Grand, and became hooked.  We would all stop paddling if on a flat stretch whenever one began to call... a magical sound that echoed off the red cliff walls.  Thanks Rich~

by CanyonWren on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:38:01 PM PDT

•  you're my kind of good folks. . . (2+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

who will at least stop and listen to the wren's song. Lovely. Haunting. Commanding. Descending minor 3rds. Melodious. And one time, at Havasu, I was sitting on a rock minding my own business and I was close to a wren's next and she came out of that hold in the travertine and made that sound right in my ear, as though to say, "Hey. . .this is my place. Go away'!" I couldn't hear right for at least a day or two. As I said, "the little bird with the big mouth." Make that loud. But in the distance, its cascading call is peerless. Glad you and the others feel the same way. (Incidentally, these speckled-bodied wrens are quite small and you would think much larger. Still, they have what it takes when they make their signature sound.)

by richholtzin on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 06:46:58 PM PDT

•  Great story...I haven't had the pleasure of seeing (2+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest, helpImdrowning

one up close, but now it feels like I have :-).  All the people that I've met that love the Canyon are quality; good to see you here.

by CanyonWren on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 07:06:42 PM PDT

•  That sort of sounded like I know you...I don't. (0+ / 0-)

What I should have said is, "Good to see another Grand Canyon enthusiast here at the Big Orange," or something to that effect.

by CanyonWren on Wed Apr 03, 2013 at 10:04:16 PM PDT

•  understood. . . (3+ / 0-)

speaking of which. . .the Grand Canyon finally gets its own tour series this coming weekend. There was a reason, of course, for not prom'ing this big ditch of northern Arizona (apart from the fact I have worked there and led tours, as an instructor, for many years. . .a sort of potential snag in a future book I want to get published. That's all been cleared up and so the DKos community gets to ride on my pack for another virtual tour putting the Grand Canyon front and center. Now, if only I could figure out how to make this embedded URL of a canyon wren do its lyrical sound!

by richholtzin on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 06:19:26 AM PDT

• Law (19)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Riots (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site