View Diary: Update: This may be my proudest moment as a father. (79 comments)

•  The more people homeschool, (10+ / 0-)

the weaker public schools become!

It's the opposite of what we need, which is all hands IN and making noise so that they can't just pull the arts/music/phys ed, etc. out from under the poorest and minority students.

Abandoning public schools is unAmerican, imho.

I must be dreaming...

by murphy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 04:20:19 PM PDT

•  That's great, but it's totally unreasonable to ask (8+ / 0-)

parents to sacrifice their kid's education and future for the sake of everyone else.

•  I don't even know how to respond to that (5+ / 0-)
        Lujane, GAS, SneakySnu, RuralLiberal, gulfgal98

since my whole idea is to NOT sacrifice your kid's education, but rather to make sure that your kid, and everyone else's kid, gets the BEST possible education.

I think that homeschooling is for when we are on the starship headed for another galaxy.

And even then, I think there should be a school for all the kids on the starship, not everybody staying in their cabin and limiting the knowledge and universe-view, so to speak, of their offspring to whatever happens to be between their parent's ears.

I must be dreaming...

by murphy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 08:55:07 PM PDT

•  With all respect, tell that to parents whose needs (3+ / 0-)

are not being met by the school (gifted for example) or parents whose children have been harmed at school.

This health care system is a moral atrocity. Dr. Ralphdog

by AllisonInSeattle on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 03:04:17 AM PDT

•  Agreed, every case is different, for instance (0+ / 0-)

a parent I know homeschools her child after trying for years to alert the school to the bullying of her child. The school ignored it for years. She decided it was far better to keep her child safe and the child went from being depressed, anxious, to happy and content.  She was worried her child may commit suicide as 2 peers had done a few years ago.

There are kids who do not flourish  in public or private schools and do better with homeschooling.

I think it depends on the circumstances and the child.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:34:09 AM PDT

•  It's also limiting. (7+ / 0-)

Different teachers over the years have offered a different POV than my parents had. I taught my daughter to read, but her teachers directed her reading. I'm always surprised when we watch Jeopardy together, the different areas of knowledge she has. Could I have taught her all that? I don't think so.

•  We homeschooled (2+ / 0-)
        mamamedusa, AllisonInSeattle

and I had the same Jeopardy experience you did. It's only limiting if that's your goal. My kid directed her own reading outside of what we were studying. She taught herself a lot of things. She's 15 now and I'm constantly amazed at how much of her own person she is. Ideally, that's the goal.

Get old and do lots of stuff in the process. Half of the fun is trying everything out. --Noddy

by Debby on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 09:16:25 PM PDT

•  Trouble is, too many homeschooling parents (2+ / 0-)
          GAS, wishingwell

are the type who WANT to limit their kids' thinking and exposure to outside information/values/concepts.

That's their whole purpose !

Now, if that's not you, great. But too often that's what I'm seeing in the homeschooling community.

I see frighteningly insular thought processing, horrible inaccuracies, and a fear of anything outside of their own personal misunderstandings of the world.

If that's not you, great. But the folks I personally know who are homeschooling, I wouldn't trust to train a dog properly.

I must be dreaming...

by murphy on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 09:35:20 PM PDT

•  There are some parents who really should not be (1+ / 0-)
            Jollie Ollie Orange

homeschooling their kids because they themselves lack the knowledge and ability to do so. But there are also some terrific homeschooling parents doing a great job.

I do have a problem with parents who choose to homeschool in order to insulate their child and isolate the child and keep them from experiencing life and keep the kids from socializing. Most of these types are very conservative Evangelical parents. There are parents who will not allow a 17 yr old to leave the house and spend time wtih friends , go on a date, even go to the movies with friends. The parents insist on chaperoning and going along on dates with kids who are 16 and 17.
            These kinds of parents wonder their kids experience a wild streak once they do get out of the house.  Ie, these parents do not expand their kids' experiences, education, horizons..they limit these kids severely.  Then the kids go away to college or go into the military or leave home to work and have a lot of trouble with socialization skills.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:40:10 AM PDT

•  Have you personally met those parents (0+ / 0-)

I have been home schooling my children for a decade now. I have had the opportunity to meet parents/families who fall all over the ideological spectrum.

I tend to be one of the more Liberal parents, and often those I meet are religious. This is because of where I live. I have had the opportunity to see the boxed curriculums available.

They aren't bad. Some of them have obvious things embedded within them that I won't teach my children, like creationism and intelligent design. But most of these sets are solid in the basics.

The ideological conditioning they receive at home is no different than what they would receive after school.

They might limit the kid's access to some material, that is true, but would you rather have the mom and dad in school banning books, or at home directing the readings? Would you rather have mom and dad obstructing public school science curriculum, or at home inflicting this only on their child--as opposed to public school children?

I meet these kids. They are bright, sensitive, and they are literate. I know many want to imagine that conservative parents are monsters that beat their children and keep them ignorant, but thus far, I have not encountered that.

There are lots of things I don't agree with, with regard to the ideologies of these people, however I am not going to use that as an excuse to needlessly insult them, based on nothing more than assumptions.

I don't like it when people do that to me. I certainly do not want to pay that forward.

•  I agree with you (1+ / 0-)
      SoCalSal

though I recognize the reasons why some people choose to abandon public schools.  not everyone is equipped to supplement the public system and the only interventions toward supplementing that would really work must be collectivee efforts, not individual ones, which is what most of those interventions, supplements or alternate choices always end up being.

In my opinion, this is the true tragedy; not simply that our public education system -- which was once one of the greatest resources we had as a nation both for democratization of both the body politic AND opportunity as well as an economic engine has been purposefully monkey-wrenched and allowed to decay -- but also that what it represented in terms of a true value of the commons is being equally undermined as the only really workable alternatives are those that push us more firmly into the libertarian aradise of individual choice and action for those who are able in terms of resources whether they be financial, time, expertise or emotional.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 05:48:55 PM PDT

•  Yes it depends on the individual child and that (0+ / 0-)

child's needs and what the public school can or cannot provide.  For some kids, they simply do not do well in a school setting, public or private and flourish in homeschooling or alternative educational programs.

But I truly think the majority of kids will do fine in a public school if the parents and the faculty are truly engaged in providing a good education for the kids.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:43:39 AM PDT

•  I was so pleased that the (9+ / 0-)

diarist gave such credit to the public school teachers!

As is now common here on dKos, however, people can't wait to talk about home-schooling.

Progressives support public schools and public school teachers!!  Let's not forget that.

Stand Up! Keep Fighting! Paul Wellstone

by RuralLiberal on Sat Mar 23, 2013 at 08:02:11 PM PDT

•  Yes we need to support our teachers and I (2+ / 0-)

do think for most kids, public schools still work and do a good job. It all depends on the district, each individual child, the child's needs, and the rapport that the community and the parents have with the faculty, staff and admin of the local school district.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:45:24 AM PDT

•  We do need to support our public schools and (1+ / 0-)
      bkamr

teachers and be active parents in the school.  We take a great interest in our public schools here and support them however we can even though our son is 33 yrs out and has long ago graduated.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 06:31:45 AM PDT

•  I call BS. (1+ / 0-)
      GreenMother

My wife and I homeschool...and she's a public school teacher.  I teach teachers, and over the years I've given scores of workshops and courses for public school teachers as part of curriculum enrichment programs.

I know another homeschooling parent who started a tree-planting initiative in our town - for the public schools.  She reasoned that public school kids needed more trees, so she did something about it.

It's not either/or - homeschool vs. public school - but both/and.

Freedom isn't "on the march." Freedom dances.

by WarrenS on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:34:14 AM PDT