View Diary: DKos Tour Series: White Sands National Monument (92 comments)

•  Is the Trinity site open broadly or is it still (2+ / 0-)
    Don Enrique, RiveroftheWest

only two days a year.

New Mexico is pretty part of the US, even though some people don't realize it is part of the US.

•  geesh. . .twice a year visits. . . (4+ / 0-)

and I sure hope I posted that info on the diary. IF not, I think it is always the FIRST SATURDAY in APRIL and OCTOBER. If you do go, keep in mind it's one hellava traffic jam, and people start lining up the day before! It's that popular. Oh, and I love your comment, NEW MEXICO IS A PRETTY PART OF THE US (even though some people don't realize it is part of the US). You would be surprised how many people think differently on the matter. Indeed, I was once in Penn. filling the tank, my own car, with NM tags, and was chatting with the lady behind the counter, who upon asking where I was from (which I always tell folks, "From my mother!"). . .she said I have a very good English accent. (I didn't bother telling her this is Americ, and so it's more the case of an American accent). Anyway, I told her "Gracias! and then "Adios." What the hell, I had to play that hand, don't you think? Thanks for posting your comment NeverThere.

Treat the world (yourself, and others) as part of a living organism. Everyone and everything will benefit.

by richholtzin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 10:23:27 AM PDT

•  you did post it. I missed it. (1+ / 0-)
        RiveroftheWest

that is what I get for reading Kos during a Conference Call.(Kos was more interesting than the call.)

•  Two weeks until the next opportunity (0+ / 0-)

I went last October. It's mind-expanding. I didn't know about the Ibex, though.

Hmmm. Wonder if the Ibex are the source of the parasite that's devastating bighorn herds in southern NM and far west TX?

LBJ, Lady Bird, Van Cliburn, Ike, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, Molly Ivins, Sully Sullenburger, Drew Brees: Texas is NO Bush League!

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 03:40:04 PM PDT

•  a question for you. . . (1+ / 0-)
          RiveroftheWest

have you thought about submitting your theory, about the parasites devastating the bighorn herds, as traceable to that wonderful twin-horn beastie? I think you may have something there, and would you possibly be a biologists, by trade (or even interest)? Such connections have been traced to other indigenous critters, plants and trees, as caused by introduced alien species, whatever, and your point makes damn good sense. If you don't approach the scientists with this information, do you mind if I do (and cite your source for doing so)? You see, I have no experience to carry forth given what you suggest, BlackSheep1. But thank you so much for submitting this added comment.

by richholtzin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 07:44:32 PM PDT

•  Not a biologist, thanks, though I once hoped to be (1+ / 0-)
            RiveroftheWest

an epidemiologist for Texas Department of Health.

I'm just a fifty-something Texan brought up on a farm and upset at the loss of our native bighorns, really. But it might be something other than the ibex, too; it's not like they're the only "exotic game" species we've ever brought to Texas or the Southwest. If your state has a health department with some zoonosis folks, they'll be able to point you at the right people to get an answer.

I know a few years back the population crash had the TWPD working overtime to find a cause. Now we're in another multi-year killer drought, so it may be worse.

Please, pursue whatever avenues you can think of -- state game folks, or state health department, or a veterinarian you know, or somebody in ag science and wildlife management down at Sul Ross State University in the Big Bend, or somebody -- heck, I dunno, somebody at Los Alamos?

by BlackSheep1 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 09:19:41 PM PDT

•  actually, I have already begun. . . (2+ / 0-)
              RiveroftheWest, BlackSheep1

the process, by sending out emails to some of the sources you just mentioned, but a few people I know (who are scientists, though not in this field) who also know other scientists in related fields. The U of T (Austin, right?) is another source I contacted and I am sure their departments of agriculture and such will have loads of information on this problem. Like you, I am a big desert Bighorn groupie. We have very healthy herds in the Grand Canyon, mainly because there is no predation on their species, and so far there are no outbreaks of any infectious diseases culling their rank and file. I likely will get back in touch with you at your profile email address given whatever I find. Feel free to contact me the same way and we can discuss our mutual interest. You sound like a very interesting person, given your field of study, and I am glad to have met you in such a way as merely posting a diary, then reading comments from a variety of folks, like you, who have 'learned' me a thing or two or three.

by richholtzin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 06:15:46 AM PDT

•  Glad to hear it. I think I'll drop a line to a (0+ / 0-)

vet who still works for DSHS in Canyon.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 08:57:27 AM PDT

•  and let me know what you find out. . . (2+ / 0-)
                  BlackSheep1, RiveroftheWest

OK? Your friend, the vet, may have some answers. I'm meeting my friend for lunch, tomorrow, who is also my cat's vet, and I think he can also enlighten me to the problem and possible solutions.

by richholtzin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 09:14:48 AM PDT

•  I'll do that, if you will. (1+ / 0-)
                    RiveroftheWest

He's referred the question to a colleague at the regional Department of State Health Services office out in El Paso.

by BlackSheep1 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 03:13:09 PM PDT