View Diary: The Evening Blues - 4-4-13 (67 comments)

•  Thanks for your comment, Joe, re Chicken Shackers (7+ / 0-)

as I said in my diary, that's what distinguishes a person from being a real DJ and someone who just plays tunes.  Reading the liner notes makes all the difference.

_"Love is the rosebud of an hour; Friendship the everlasting flower."_ Brook Boothby

by Keith930 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 05:40:58 PM PDT

•  George Thorogood must be the only act out of (6+ / 0-)

Delaware that I can think of.  There must have been a rock n roll rivalry back in the late 70's on the East Coast...NJ had The Boss and Southside Johnny, Boston had Boston, Delaware had Thorogood.

If only Connecticutt had a good band.

by Keith930 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 05:50:13 PM PDT

•  heh... (6+ / 0-)

thorogood is probably the only guy that will admit being from delaware. B)

there are undoubtedly lots of musicians from connecticut, however, they probably all go to new york to, "make it," and are considered new york acts.  that happens to lots of musicians in my area, they work here for several years through a succession of bands making chump change and then they go to new york, nashville or la and 5 years later they make a name for themselves, by the time they make it they appear to be from somewhere else.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 06:08:01 PM PDT

•  yeah...when I was a student at OSU in Colombus (5+ / 0-)

there were three "bar bands" that played the local gigs who were, each in their own right, pretty damned good.  They could have been picked up by a label and made a hit song.  They were tight.  But they never broke out.

The music biz is, and always has been, more about luck than it ever was about talent.  And geography.  If you are a group of musicians who have a vision and some talent, but hail from Evansville, Indiana, as opposed to, say, Los Angeles...I'm guessing the trail is a pretty steep one.

by Keith930 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 06:37:38 PM PDT

•  yep... (2+ / 0-)
            ek hornbeck, joanneleon

i think that it's a matter of more than just musical talent.  it's some combination of talent/chops, charisma, chutzpah and the dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time.  i suspect that now it's even more difficult.  despite the fact that it's easy to produce your own material and broadcast it on the internet, well that's a double edged sword since everybody who can please themselves while singing in the shower is encouraged to do the same thing, creating an enormous noise-to-signal ratio.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority

by joe shikspack on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 06:49:18 PM PDT

•  Hmm (1+ / 0-)
        joe shikspack

I don't remember a rivalry.  Everybody loved Bruce and thought of him as their own.  NY metro, Philly metro, NJ, PA, DE.

But we especially did in NJ.  I was at Rutgers from 78 to 82 when he was at his peak, well first peak, and it was about 25 miles along Route 18 to Asbury Park, the Stone Pony, the Fast Lane, if we could get a ride.  The Springsteen type music was a genre in the area.  There were some other similar bands too.

Funny, I've seen that band a lot of times, Atlantic City Expressway, at Rutgers.  I didn't know until tonight that it was Jon Bon Jovi's first band and he was in high school when he formed it. I've never been a Bon Jovi fan.  The article I just read said they used to play at Rutgers, Princeton and at high school dances.

We saw Southside Johnny a few times too.  I vaguely remember seeing them in some Jersey shore high school gym.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 07:35:40 PM PDT

•  Jon Bon Jovi is on record as saying that (2+ / 0-)
          joe shikspack, joanneleon

Southside Johnny is the guy who inspired him to want to sing.

I was never a Bon Jovi fan either...he came along just a few years too late and I was into other music when he was at his peak.  But you have to respect his sources.

So you're a Rutgers gal?  hmmm

Maybe for another night, but I have read some really mean, but really funny "Rutgers jokes."  I'll have to do some digging.

by Keith930 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 07:45:53 PM PDT

•  I've heard about some of those (1+ / 0-)
            joe shikspack

characterizations. My kid is there now so he'd have to answer questions about whether or not they are true.  As for whether those things were true back in the day?  Ah, I disagree.  But I was an engineer, so maybe I missed a lot.

"Justice is a commodity"

by joanneleon on Thu Apr 04, 2013 at 08:21:42 PM PDT

•  evening keith... (6+ / 0-)

well, you have to have something to do while the tunes play besides cuing up the next tune.  dj's tend to have a lot of time (in small increments) on their hands.  i was fortunate in that i never had a dj gig where somebody else chose the music that i played, rather, i played the music that interested me.  however, without liner notes the the studio would have been pretty damned boring.

i'm part of the 99% - america's largest minority