View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Wednesday (188 comments)

•  Coconut nests except (26+ / 0-)

when I want to sugar up my nieces for my sister.  bwahahahahaha. Then jelly beans, of course.  Lots and lots of them.

Cheers to pooties, puppies, babies, birdies and all here.  Jeers to the chickensh!t foot-dragging, supremes.  Really.

Have a good one y'all y'all.  Project for the day is to figure how to get rid of the kitchen litterbox.  Dr. Destructo doesn't use it for weeks on end, then yesterday, as I was cleaning other boxes in the house, he decides to tear through the house and pop a squat in the very box that needs to go.   Aaaaargggh.

Keep warm.  Hug someone close.

Go sing in the rain. March is National Umbrella Month.

by Powered Grace on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 05:29:42 AM PDT

•  Cheers (11+ / 0-)

to sugar-free confections for us diabetics.

Jeers that projections are that one in four Americans will be diabetic by the mid 2030s.

a half-hearted cheer that diabetic fare will certainly increase in choice and better quality as the market for it keeps expanding.

Cheers to Science-minded politicians, mostly on our side of the aisle, who will, if elected, fund research to end diabetes and other scourges.

I read last year that a drug used to treat TB has been found to manage diabetes, reverse it in its early stages and actually help the pancreas regenerate in lab mice, a trick that up until this research was not thought to be possible of the pancreas.
      Haven't heard any more on the subject. Maybe there's something in the foreign press. In this country, we'd have to exhaust the warehouses full of sugar-substitutes before the research will be given serious consideration.

America! We do business!

I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it. - Paul Krugman

by Gentle Giant on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 06:50:37 AM PDT

•  The only recent thing I found (4+ / 0-)

was this from the Japan Times about pig pancreas regeneration.  (Hope the link works.)

I understand, believe me.  My one grandmother was diabetic and pancreatic cancer ended her life.  I didn't trust the sugar substitutes then and I trust very little now.  We can only hope for something better.

We had vary little understanding back then how grains (wheat and corn in particular) affect our sugar levels.  I'm thinking on steering Himself (my significant other) to a tempered caveman diet.  His sugar levels the last time he had a physical were not pretty.  And I'm concerned.

Go sing in the rain. March is National Umbrella Month.

by Powered Grace on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 08:29:44 AM PDT

•  You are his blessing, I know. (4+ / 0-)

My wife is my conscience when my own is failing, plus she tells me how much of a dinner item I should have as I'm dishing it up.
          My uncle did not treat his diabetes well. He lost most of his sight, had heart problems that would have killed a lesser man... He died in the recovery room after surgery that removed his one remaining leg.
          You better believe I take my diabetes very very seriously.

We live in a great age of scientific advancement. In this nation, we are currently exiting a brief age of ignorance, but we still allow business to get in the way of progress. For example, when BHA & BHT were first found to cause cancer, the information was withheld a while to allow companies stockpiling them to deplete their supplies. (Everything You Wanted to Know About Nutrition But Didn't Know to Ask, Dr. Jerry Rubin) It is still added to packaging, so instead of being a part of our food, it is apart from our food, only "just touching it". No harm there, eh?

In this country, Capitalism is a less than benign health threat. While the Right hopes for the repeal of the ACA, I pine for the dismantling of the Health Insurance Industry, at least to the point where they can not obstruct vital care on the basis of cost.

by Gentle Giant on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 08:59:19 AM PDT

•  Wow! about that new drug. Hope there's something (2+ / 0-)
        Gentle Giant, diggerspop

to it.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

by Observerinvancouver on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:02:56 AM PDT

•  Actually, it was a fairly old drug, or one that (2+ / 0-)
          Observerinvancouver, diggerspop

has been around a while.

They were doing some testing on TB patients and taking frequent bloodwork in the course of the testing. They discovered incidentally that the TB patients who were also diabetic had their diabetes fall under control with use of the drug. (I wish I remembered its name.)
          So they tested the drug on diabetic mice. The sooner they used the drug after the mice were given the disease, the better the effect. Early treatment actually irradicated diabetes from the mice. It was later found that the pancreas of some mice in early stages of diabetes had some regeneration, causing quite a stir since the pancreas is not thought to have that capability as the liver does.

It holds out hope. I'm in good shape, so far. I'd love to see type I, childhood diabetes, irradicated in my lifetime. I'm type II. If I am a good boy, I should be able to maintain a long and healthy life.

by Gentle Giant on Wed Mar 27, 2013 at 11:59:06 AM PDT